Why do I feel FAT some days and smaller other days?!

Options
Put on a freshly washed pair of khakis this morning and felt like I had to squeeze in them & then had a HUGE muffin top! Grrrr I HATE that feeling! Washed jeans/khakis do not always make me feel like that. I have lost 8 lbs. in the last two weeks & they should feel good or a little lose after washing them. YUCK - I feel SO FAT today! :'-(

Replies

• dmkirk28
    dmkirk28 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Gah! I hate that feeling. It messes with mymind so much. Most of the time though it's because it's TOM and I know I will retain water. I just try and pick clothes that are looser..even though you never know when it'll strike. Good Luck!
  • Ohgezzlyn
    Ohgezzlyn Posts: 13
    Options
    It seems i feel fat more of the time and rarely skinny on days
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I feel smaller when I put on clothes that used to fit and are baggy now. I feel bigger when I get really excited about putting on a pair of pants that didn't fit when I was 25 pounds heavier, but said pants are still a little tight around the waist and my (shrinking) muffin top falls over the waistband. Sad face.

For me, it's largely based on the clothes I wear that day.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Clothes shrink a little in the wash. Also the mind fluctuates more than the body does sometimes. Our self-image is affected by a myriad of things. Weight loss can take longer to catch up to mentally than physically.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    The challenge of the mind is the greatest one you will ever have, for it is always in flux. You need to change the mindset from "I Wish I ____" To I Want and I am Achieving ____
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will find many people that don't have "I feel fat" days.

I have them ALL THE FREAKING TIME

You need to start conditioning yourself now to correct that line of thinking, because it doesn't miraculously stop when you hit goal weight. As you work your body into submission, focus on working your mind there too.

Fitness is a whole being venture.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss and water yes....
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and I hate that feeling.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    More than likely it's sodium. Maybe you ate a lot of salt yesterday and a few days ago. It takes a bit for the salt to flush out of your body. Just continue to drink plenty of water :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    same here..think it's normal...you might be having a bit of water weight..even when it's not that TOM I can tell those water days. I can look in the mirror one day and be ok and the next day it's like WTH!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've found the perfect solution for washed jeans - once it comes out of the dryer, hang it on your shower rod or door with the shower turned on to the max heat. Leave it like that for say 5-7 minutes until your pants feel wettish but not really wet. Now put them on and do 25 lunges. Bam! Worn-in washed jeans(and you get a small workout in ;))! Always works for me :)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's pretty natural. It happens to all of us. The best you can do is not let it get you down and keep on trucking.

It's frustrating yes, but it's all mental.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    And yes, all of us have fat days. Depends heavily on what you ate/did the previous day.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I usually have "fat" days when I have eaten a lot of sodium or if I haven't exercised in a few days. Try watching you sodium and see if that works.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Definitely fluid retention, and regarding TOM, guys have fluid retention too! I notice it with my wedding band. I find fluid retention can be good for up to 5 lbs.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hate that feeling too! Usually it is around TOM, but some days it feels like my body is taking a break, lol.

I read a little joke once that I thought was hilarious and so true:

Calories are what sneak into my closet while I am sleeping and shrink all my clothes!

I guess we can substitue calories with water retention/AF, huh?
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too, but I think it's the clothes.
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just stay on course. 1300-1700 calories per day should maintain moderate loss for most people.
    Eating less than 1200 will throw you into starvation mode and you will stop losing fat possibly start gaining.