Cinnamon :)

Options
Over the past month, I've developed a cinnamon addiction. I put it In my oatmeal, in my tea, I chew cinnamon gum, cinnamon hard candy etc. I've noticed that on days when I add cinnamon to all my meals or snacks, my appetite decreases. So I researched a little and found this interesting piece.

Health Benefits of Cinnamon

Cinnamon is rich in manganese, iron, calcium and fiber. It has been used since medieval times to cure diarrhea, indigestion and bloating. In addition, it helps prevent the spread of cancer cells, the formation of stomach ulcers, and assists in curing bacterial infections. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar levels along with bad cholesterol levels (LDL) while having no effect on the good cholesterol (HDL). Hence, it’s beneficial for both heart and type 2 diabetes patients. The lowering of blood sugar levels and improvement in cholesterol ratios helps to reverse insulin resistance or pre-diabetes. Since cinnamon is sweet to the taste, it also satisfies the craving for sweet foods that generally afflicts diabetics.

Cinnamon and Weight Loss

Cinnamon has a regulatory effect on blood sugar levels and simultaneously increases insulin levels in the body. It imitates the biological activity of insulin and increases the metabolism of glucose. Since high blood sugar levels can lead to increased storage of fat by the body, cinnamon helps prevent this increased storage of fat and enables you to lose weight. In addition, it influences the manner in which sugar is metabolized by the body and prevents the transformation of the metabolized sugar into fat. Cinnamon also delays the passing of food from the stomach into the intestine. Hence, you feel satisfied for a longer time and eat less. This helps you lose weight. Cinnamon also helps the body to process carbohydrates more efficiently and this assists you in losing a few pounds. Studies show that abdominal fat is more sensitive to the effects of cinnamon than fat from other parts of the body.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-a-scoop-of-cinnamon-a-day-can-help-you-lose-weight.html

Replies

• britlou6
    britlou6 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think im gonna try to incorporate cinnamin into my food! This was great to know!
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of cinnamon too!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is awesome! I've put it in just about everything for years!
  • Morgancupcake
    Options
    Great post! I've been wanting to start eating it daily. I actually saw a recent Dr. Oz where they talk about all the benefits of cinnamon. I was wondering what kid of tea you put it in? I drink green tea daily, but I keep forgetting to add the cinnamon to see how it tastes.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love cinnamon..............but it makes my mouth burn really bad and makes my lips look red and burned. :(
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love cinnamon in my yogurt :)
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am a cinnamon addict tooo ! FINALLY, I thought I was the only one. I put cinnamon in almost everything, around 1-2 Tablespoons :D Now I know its a goood addiction . LOL
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've seen cinnamon pills popping up in the vitamin section which is going a little too far. It's very tasty though. And a long time ago I heard it helped you quit smoking too.