Feeling Defeated.. (pics)

Options
So, i started tracking food and exercising regularly on 1/1/13. I have been pretty good at it and i dropped about 10 lbs pretty quickly. I started at 144.5 and am now at 134.2 as of today. For the past 2 weeks i have been feeling like my weight just does not move in the right direction. I was down to 132.2 and am now at 134.2 . I exercise 5 times a week (treadmill, elliptical, group classes) and eat pretty healthy for the most part... I am 5'6 and i have my calories set at 1450 + eat back exercise calories..
Not sure what to do but just thought i'd share my frustration with you.

First pic is me at 144.5 lbs
Second one is at 137 lbs
Third one was taken today
I don't see any difference and it makes me even more frustrated.

My goal weight is 125 lbs.

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There is a difference...a small one, but the fact that your hip bones are showing the way they are makes me think that you should worry less about the scale and start to focus more on body recomposition.

Also - you might want to put a warning about your pics not exactly being safe for work...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    start lifting weights and focus less on the scale.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    your thighs are looking good girlfriend ;) keep on going
  • jordantylergillespie
    jordantylergillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    start lifting weights and focus less on the scale.

^This
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Your legs look trimmer. (The thigh gap in the third pic is greater than in the first and second...I realize that it might be the way you're standing...but I think it's showing more tone.) Other than that, just use patience.

Oh...and I'm glad I have my own office and that I'm not wearing sweats today. Geez! :)
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    the scale can not measure how good you feel. and by the way i see a difference you look more defined. i used to focus a lot on the numbers but now more on how i feel. Start lifting.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. Try not to focus on the number but how your clothes fit. I would love for my thighs to look like yours
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I see a huge difference between the first and third pictures. First of all your hipbones are protruding more, I see more muscle tone in your tummy and the little pooch is non existant in the third photograph. You have to realize that for thin people the changes come much more slowly than for larger people. If you're not lifting maybe you could try that for a more muscular physique.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6

I don't want to sound stupid but I am not sure how to start lifting... never done it before so not sure where and how to start. Should i start with the machines at the gym?
  • msvelvetheart
    Options
    Well I would love to have what you have even in the first pic! Your have made great progress!!! It's because you look at yourself everyday so don't see anything. I definitely see a difference your stomach muscles are pulling in tighter together and thighs are becoming more trimmed. Unless you want to be really muscly I would say you have reached perfection! You can't lose weight and tone up at the same tome, muscle is heavy, it makes you weigh more once you have burnt your excess fat. You are just making muscle now so the weight gain is super goooood! Don't be disheartened! Your relationship with the scale is officially over, in a good way!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6

I don't want to sound stupid but I am not sure how to start lifting... never done it before so not sure where and how to start. Should i start with the machines at the gym?
    ]

Start with a trainer OR start with www.bodybuilding.com
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Uhmmm, what are you annoyed about again? :flowerforyou:

In all honesty I think you look great. Fit, trim and healthy. If you would like to tone up, I would suggest cutting out some cardio and replacing it with strength work. Be it body weight or lifting weights. At this point, it doesn't look like you'll see a huge difference with cardio alone.

Oh, and I do see a difference. Most notably, your thighs have gotten smaller from the first to the last picture.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1) Walk away from the aerobic bunnies and drive some iron.
    2) Ditch the scale, use the tape measure.
    3) Be kind to yourself - millions of people would give vital organs to look so good.

Tightening up my belt a notch is something I can actually feel all day long, a number on a scale disappears as soon as I step off it.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Your belly is smaller and your hip bones are more pronounced. I agree it is time to start with weights. There is a ton of information on line about lifting. Bodybuilding.com is an amazing resource. Oxygen Magazine has a lot of information on weight ttraining as well. Or...if you go to a gym, hire a trainer for a couple of sessions. Let them know up front that you want to get a routine in place and they will help you.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6

No, skip the machines and stick to free weights (dumbbells & barbell). Check your local library or Amazon for the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's an awesome program! Here's the link to to the MFP group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Another good program is Stronglifts 5x5. Do an internet search.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First, great job at all you've accomplished!!
    The info I'm giving you is what I've read and learned throughout my weightloss journey :)
    You're at a weightloss plateau. And that's ok. Basically, you're body feels your weight is ideal. So, it's holding on to those last 10 pounds. There are hundreds of articles about the dreaded "The Last 10 Pounds" and how to lose them.
    For people who want to achieve their goal weight and pass what their body is trying to hold onto, it takes you downing your sodium, possibly eating more food (oddly enough), and weight training. Lifting weights should be your BFF...like seriously. lol
    I'm not sure what types of foods your are eating. But, nutrition is always the reason for the last 10 pounds to be hard to lose.
    Research and check out your sodium intake, types or fats your are consuming, types of carbs, your protein/carb/fat ratio.

Women weightlifters, and no I don't mean BIG MANLY LOOKING WOMEN...lol, and mean bodies like the girl below...I follow her on Instagram, have a fluctuating weight of 10 pounds during their competition season and their down time. But, she has a wonderful story of how she got fit, even with before pics. Check her out :)

Her before and after story: http://www.fitnadic.com/nic/

Screenshot2013-03-21at102341AM_zps8be3ab57.png
  • misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies and great advice!! I will read some literature today and start lifting this week. Hopefully i can finally get the results that i am looking for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Oh...and I'm glad I have my own office and that I'm not wearing sweats today. Geez! :)

thanks for sharing!!!!