Does losing weight change your shoe size?

Options
I noticed that at my heaviest (315 lb, 5'8'') I was into a size 11 shoe! I didn't know what was going on because I was a size 9.5 for most of my life, and my feet hadn't grown since I was 14 years old. I was worried that my feet had started growing again!
Now I'm down to 215, and the11's I wear on a daily basis to work fell off when I was going up the stairs. I hadn't noticed how lose they became. Did they stretch out? Did my feet lose weight?

I'm super excited hoping that it's possible for feet to lose weight and shoe size to go down, and that by the end of this journey I'll be back in a 9.5.
Has anyone else experienced shoe size changing as a result of losing weight? Does this always happen? I mean, I lost 100 lbs, will have to lose 50-75 more, so I had a huge body fluctuation.
Thoughts?

Replies

• HSmom47
    HSmom47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lady who lost over 50 lbs. losing half a shoe size. And I know from personal experience I went from size 10 to size 11 with the birth of my three children (and 40 lbs.). I'm with you, hoping to lose a shoe size with the weight. It sure would be easier to find shoes on sale (and I'm tired of wearing men's shoes because of the poor selection in women's size 11).:wink:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    IVE LOST 30 AND MY SHOES ARE FLOPPING OFF MY HEELS! A 10 SO MAYBE I CAN GET IN A 9 AFTER ALL THE WEIGHT LOSS! CONGRATS ON THE 100!! THATS AWESOME
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    When you gain weight it goes everywhere. I only lost 20 lbs and lost a 1/2 a shoe size and had to have my rings resized.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    It can. I've already had to replace my work/gym shoes. My stomach is still going strong but at least I'll have slim feet.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Don't know about a couple sizes but at my heaviest I was a size 6 and lightest size 5 to 5 1/2; rings all had to be re-sized when I lost 35 lbs.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yes, my shoe sizing changed 2 whole sizes between my biggest and fittest.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for the post! :flowerforyou:
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Yep. I had to get rid of a pair of shoes last week because they were falling off my feet. I started as a wide 10, sometimes 10.5 and I'm down to a regular 10. I'll probably be a 9.5 when I reach goal.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It can! I always had narrow feet, and when I got pregnant the last time they smushed out into half-size-longer wide feet (which is apparently pretty common, yay pregnancy). I didn't lose the weight for a long time and figured they were permanently smushed. Just recently, they've gone back to being narrow. I'm going to get fitted for a new pair of running shoes in May, since that's when the ones I have now will be worn out, but for now I have to lace them so the sides are almost touching. So weird.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    sometimes. up and down.

it's a wild ride, huh ?
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine did, at my heaviest I went up to a 8.5 or 9 and now with the weight I lost Im back dowm to a 7. 7 is what I was when I got out of high school I don't think I'll go any smaller but who knows. I also lost in my hands, fingers. My wedding ring dosen't fit but Im waiting till I hit goal weight to resize it.
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70lbs and my shoe size has gone down almost a full size. Weird isn't it!! I LIKE IT!!
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just pray dat will happen. Am a 12/13 now, I just want to be a 10. I hardly find shoes my size.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Went from a tight size 9 to an 8-8.5 after about 40 lbs of loss. :)
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I went from a 9 wide to a 7.5 regular. It was very weird at first, I hadn't thought about my feet losing weight but they were fat too LOL. I also lost as far as ring size (8.5 to a 5).
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and I notice everyone mentioning ring sizes also.
    When I was at my heaviest (315), I was a size 10 ring womens.

I just got married and my engagement and wedding ring are both 7.5 after 100 lbs of loss.

I need to lose a good amount of weight to reach my goal still, but I'm wondering if my ring size will go any smaller? I never thought, even after losing weight, I would end up with dainty hands and feet, lol. No part of me has ever been delicate! :)
  • StusPrincess08
    StusPrincess08 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lol I went from 184lbs and a size 8 wide to 126 and a size 6 1/2 reg
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes

I went from a UK size 7 down to a UK 4.5-small 5
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It did for me.... At my heaviest I was wearing a 9 wide... now I wear 8 or 8 1/2 regular shoe.

Had to buy all new shoes, which is something I had never even considered as I was losing weight! :laugh:
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Haha glad to see other people share this experience and actually talking about it. I've been 135 lbs (at 5 ft ) most of my adolescence and had always been a size 6 or 7 depending on shoe and brand.

When I got higher than 185 lbs my shoe size increased to 8 ...almost 8.5. (Cause my feet were that fat!)

Since losing some weight I've managed to squeeze back into some of my size 7 shoes and even size 6.
    I also thought I stretched out some shoes but no it's not my imagination. And it's not yours either apparently! Congrats!