Goodbye bad cholesterol - thanks to new ways of eating!

Options
I want to do a little bragging (or a lot lol). I got the results from my checkup a week ago or so.

My cholesterol was 179 (goal is <200), my HDL bad cholesterol was 90 (goal is <130). My good, protective, LDL cholesterol, was, drum roll, 79 (usual for my age is 30-40). That makes my ratio of total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol about 2 to 1. The goal is less than 5 to 1!

This is the first time in 10 years, maybe ever, that my cholesterol has been under 200 and my good, LDL, cholesterol has never been better.

If I needed more motivation to keep eating veggies and fruits, this is it! We know in our heads that losing weight is good for us. We know we feel better and look better. But it's nice to know our arteries like it too!

Keep on truckin'. We are getting healthier every day, week, month, and year. And we'll have more years because of the changes we're making. Sweet!

Replies

• rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You have completely changed your life. I can imagine that rich healthy blood flow circulating around your body, healing, strengthening, making you stronger and giving you energy. Your smile is sparkling, and it makes everyone around you happier. You are AWESOME !!!
  • mpos
    mpos Posts: 55
    Options
    Congratulations! I am sure you FEEL the difference. Keep going....you are an inspiration.
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Brag on!!! That is an amazing achievement and you have every right to. Also, it gives me more motivation to stay on track as well. I would LOVE to get off my high cholesterol medicine, Zetia. I've been on it for 5 years and also have diabetes. I would LOVE to surprise my doc in July at my next visit.

Thank you for the inspiration!! :smile:
  • wilkypoo
    Options
    Brag on!!! That is an amazing achievement and you have every right to. Also, it gives me more motivation to stay on track as well. I would LOVE to get off my high cholesterol medicine, Zetia. I've been on it for 5 years and also have diabetes. I would LOVE to surprise my doc in July at my next visit.

• wilkypoo
    Options

• wilkypoo
    Options

• nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats.
    btw
    HDL is the Good cholestrol

LDL is the Bad one.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Were you ever on cholesterol medicine? That's where I'm at now. Been on it a couple of years and I was recently bumped up on the dosage. Since then, I've lost 20 + pounds through exercise and diet. I asked the Dr if I might be able to get off the med. He cut my statin in half. In 2 months he will check my levels again. I really want to get off the medicine. Is it possible? If I could get off, I'd rather maintain my levels thru diet, exercise and vitamin supplements.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: Veggie power!!.:wink::wink: Keep up the good work!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    nikhil_c8, you're right. HDL is the good cholesterol. I should have said HDL instead of LDL.

I've never been on cholesterol meds and cholesterol has never been a big problem. When I last had it checked, in 2005, it was 217. That's 38 points higher than my current level. My HDL was about the same. My LDL (the bad stuff lol) was 118, 38 points higher than my current level.

It seems to me that eating lots of veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and minimally refined foods should help anyone who needs to lower their cholesterol. If your starting level is higher, you might not get as low but, in my strictly non-medical opinion, it seems like you should see an improvement.