New Obesity rates

Options
I just saw a report that stated that Obesity rates have increased from 19% in 2004 to 29% in 2012. Type 2 Diabetes cases have also DOUBLED in that time frame.

Yes, I definitely say that we do have an epidemic on our hands. If we don't change as a society, where will we be 10 years from now?

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it just makes me sad. And a bit mad as well.

I can do my part for myself and my family, and hopefully inspire some changes in others around me. I have been thinking about starting a Health and Wellness program at our church when I get closer to my goal weight. This new report makes me think perhaps I shouldn't wait.

What are some ways that you can think of, to promote better health in your family and community?

Replies

• jklemsen
    jklemsen Posts: 6
    Options
    These stats are simply because of the ease of access to fast food. Even just 10 years ago home cooked meals that took time to prepare were much more common and it helped to prevent people from over eating on a daily basis. Now that you can stay in your car and tell a talking box how much fatty food you would like to toss into your gut and then have that food withing 2-3 minutes its just to easy for people to give into the primal instinct to eat. It's likely not going to get any better until it gets a lot worse.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I guess you live in the U.S. right? lol... I think restaurants and fast food joints need to be held more accountable. Why are they packing in so much fat and greese in meals? Easily grossing over 1500 cals for a serving. And stuff like speedy freeze need to have a calorie counter to notify people that they are consuming over 1,000 cals per drink. Calorie counters should be more readily available for restaurant foods as well.

Sometimes, the little you do encourages people. I run everyday and a guy who see me do this from his window decided to start cycling. He didn't tell me this at first since he didn't want to freak me out. Eventually after a month, he told me how I inspired him and if I can do it, he should also try.
    There have been others that look at my body and fitness and have gotten fit or even fitter because of me. I feel honored and am humbled at the same time. Sometimes by making a difference starting with yourself, you inspire others :-)
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think starting a group like that within your community is a great idea; no need to wait.

It definitely makes me sad to see those stats and there's more to blame than just fast food companies. I think the best thing we can do as individuals is be the example, then inspire others. I have a young daughter that I hope to instill healthy habits in, that way, no matter what she faces, she'll have the tools to live a healthy lifestyle.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great thread! My thoughts on inspiring others is to just DO! I was supposed to run a 5k this past weekend but my babysitter wasn't able to keep my kiddos (7 & 4) so I opted to take them with me and do the event's 1mile with them. I could have just stayed home and not done anything, but I really wanted to go so I just folded them into it. They had not done any training for this, we just did it on the fly! They ran and walked the entire mile and are now really excited about doing it! I was so proud and so were they! So, that's one way to do something within your family... Telling others this story has inspired some to DO something similar.... Seeing your results and how you feel better and have a better outlook also inspires. So, DO and TELL!!!! Go for it friends!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can do my part for myself and my family, and hopefully inspire some changes in others around me. I have been thinking about starting a Health and Wellness program at our church when I get closer to my goal weight. This new report makes me think perhaps I shouldn't wait.

What are some ways that you can think of, to promote better health in your family and community?

There is no reason to wait. In fact, you might get better participation if you are also working on improvement, than when you have met your goals.

We have a wellness program at work. I think it's very helpful.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I guess you live in the U.S. right? lol... I think restaurants and fast food joints need to be held more accountable. Why are they packing in so much fat and greese in meals? Easily grossing over 1500 cals for a serving. And stuff like speedy freeze need to have a calorie counter to notify people that they are consuming over 1,000 cals per drink. Calorie counters should be more readily available for restaurant foods as well.

How accountable how? Their offerings are based on profit. If people bought more lower calorie healthier options, there would be more. The customers drive change. And it's pretty clear what the customers want.
  • doriharrell
    Options
    Sometimes, the little you do encourages people. I run everyday and a guy who see me do this from his window decided to start cycling. He didn't tell me this at first since he didn't want to freak me out. Eventually after a month, he told me how I inspired him and if I can do it, he should also try.
    There have been others that look at my body and fitness and have gotten fit or even fitter because of me. I feel honored and am humbled at the same time. Sometimes by making a difference starting with yourself, you inspire others :-)

I think this nails it - the best thing we can do is get ourselves slim and in shape and motivate someone else to do the same and keep the cycle going. I do think, though, it doesn't matter what restaurants serve, etc. What matters is each of us taking charge of our health and weight and making wise choices, no matter our options - and teaching our families to do the same.

I do like it when restaurants post calories, so I can make wiser choices. But it doesn't matter if they don't, either. I know what's good for me and what's loaded with calories. So do we all, in general, I think.

Good topic.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    As long as healthy food is more expensive in both time and cost than unhealthy food poverty is going to lead to obesity. And my country is spiraling into greater and greater poverty. Obesity isn't a cause, it's an effect.

Miserable people will also be more inclined to comfort themselves in unhealthy ways as well, and food is one of those ways. Guess who is happy versus who is miserable? Statistically money does buy happiness. It's all about social structures.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It really all boils down to knowledge, discipline, execution of a sensible eating program, and exercise for families within families. The current generation are inundated with technology, commuting, high stress from either job or schools, and IMO less family activity oriented.
    It's really a simple change: eat better, exercise more, get some rest, however people today don't care to institute that into their daily lives because we're such an immediate gratification society now. I remember when dial up was the deal, and now when something doesn't load instantaneously when linked, people lose it.
    I'll just say that the strong do survive and life will go on. People just need to figure out on their own if they want to be one of the strong or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well, it was only a matter of time before this turned into a discussion of the haves and have-nots.

Really, I'm done hearing that it's an issue of money. I grew up poor, and we NEVER ate at fast food restaurants. We rarely ate out at all. Healthy food is not largely more expensive than processed crap or fast food. That's an excuse, and it's a bad one. The problem is that people are either lazy or uneducated (typically because they're lazy). Americans have no freaking clue what poverty really is. For the most part, we just don't care about living healthier lives until we are sitting in a doctor's office being told that we have diabetes or heart disease. Then suddenly it's society's fault, and restaurants should start posting calorie counts? Spare me. Overweight people who eat at McDonald's on a regular basis are not clueless as to why they're fat, and they obviously don't care how many calories are in the food.

Where will we be as a society in 10 years? In a perfect world, we'd be a society where the fat, lazy people who prefer to blame everyone else for their own poor decisions are dying off more rapidly.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

How accountable how? Their offerings are based on profit. If people bought more lower calorie healthier options, there would be more. The customers drive change. And it's pretty clear what the customers want.

Very much this. We live in a free market society, and demand really does a lot to dictate supply. If more people wanted healthy food and didn't buy the unhealthy crap, things would change.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Really, I'm done hearing that it's an issue of money. I grew up poor, and we NEVER ate at fast food restaurants. We rarely ate out at all. Healthy food is not largely more expensive than processed crap or fast food. That's an excuse, and it's a bad one.

This ^^ If you think $1 for one hamburger is a good deal, you really don't know what it is to be poor.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bumping and I believe education is key. Start early in schools. Teach parents...some just don't have a clue but they want one. OP start your program ASAP..you are a great example and a mine of information!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    its all breakfasts fault...70% of us eat breakfast and 45% of those that do are obese..go figure...

I guess all those pancakes, waffles, cereals, etc are blowing out american's waste line....