Runners Who Do Stronglifts

Options
I am a recreational runner. I run 1-2 times a week. I do several races a year, but I'm not an avid marathon runner or anything super fantastic.

I also lift. I lift 3-4 days out of the week. Nothing too intense.

I am going to be starting a stronglifts program next week. The lifting I am doing now is not challenging me enough and I am not getting the results I would like.

I am just curious to find out from other runners who stronglift if and how this has effected their running performance.

Thank you.

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Anything helps
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I am also a recreational runner and just run 5ks for fun. I used to run about 3 times a week. I started doing crossfit and now I am PRing every race. I don't even run anymore (unless it's part of my crossfit workout). I'm pretty confident that lifting weights and increasing muscle will make you a better runner than just running alone.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's made me a stronger runner, but I don't have any times/proof of that. It certainly hasn't hurt my running.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I can definitely run longer and harder now. I have a lot of hills in my area and now I can power up them like never before.
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    That's awesome! I run around anywhere from 20-35 miles a week. I LOVE RUNNING. :)

And i'm not sure what "stonglifting" is however, I think increasing your weight training will positively affect your running and endurance. When I started incoorporating more weight training into my workouts, I began to see more results.

I plan on joining a couple of 10K's in the summer. I'm sooooo excited. These will be the first races ever for me. :)

Good luck!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am doing Stronglifts and training for my 4th half marathon (April 7th). It has improved my endurance and speed for my runs !!