How do you assess your goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This is most likely a very bad way to do it, but several years ago at a gym induction, I was told that my weight was perfect for my height, but that I needed to lose fat/gain muscle. Since then I haven't grown much taller, so my initial goal is to get back down to around that weight.

...Ok, holy ****. I hadn't realised that as of this morning, I'm only 2lbs off reaching that. Uh... Well, when I signed up to MFP, I think i set my goal to 11lbs under it, so I guess I'm nearly there. Going to rejoin a gym next week, hopefully can start shifting the fat to muscle.
  • fatfriendonadiet
    fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    According to a calculator on Self.com, my healthy weight range is 108 - 145 pounds. I figure that I'll never be 108, no matter how hard I try. (The last time I weighed under 110, I was in sixth grade!) I picked 125 as my goal weight as a happy medium. It also started because I was 225 when I began my journey, and I figured that losing a hundred pounds was a good goal to have. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A mirror & a set of BF% calipers
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of what I want to look like and what is realistic for my age, physical condition, activity level and interest.
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had a goal weight and I am only 7 lbs away from it. I remember weighing that 8 years ago and being very happy. I looked great in photos and wore a size 9/10. Well, like I said I am 7 lbs away and I am nowhere near wearing those old clothes that I loved and I don't feel I look good at all. I have a long ways to go. I think having 2 children by c-section really changed my body. So, I don't have a number in my head anymore. I just want to fit into those really cute dresses I have in my closet.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I do have a target number (132 pounds) that I would like to be at, but my weight tends to stay between 135-139, which I am happy with.

At that weight range, my clothes fit comfortably, I have energy to do the stuff I like, and I just feel good. So I guess that is my best way to assess my goal weight. :smile:
  • teenytinybikini
    teenytinybikini Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I tried the body fat percentage and according to that I only need to lose a few pounds, I know that losing a few pounds isn't enough so I guess I'll just go with my clothes and general energy levels.