Hello

Options
bethc2
bethc2 Posts: 4 Member
This is the first time I've been on the message boards. I work 12 or more hours each week day at a stressful job. I don't have the option of cutting back on my hours. I have trouble finding time to exercise because I'm up to get ready for work at 5 AM and not home most evenings till 6 PM. By the time I get dinner fixed and cleaned up, I'm tired. I have a problem of wanting to eat after I finally sit down for the evening. Any advice or help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a little overwhelmed right now but you can eat better, exercise and de-stress at the same time! I would advise starting with small changes such as cutting out sugary drinks or eating fruit instead of candy. If you use MFP, which I highly recommend, then you will need to log everything that goes in your mouth to see where you can make adjustments. You could also exercise on the weekends or at work on your lunch and breaks. Maybe a brisk 15 minute walk which would still leave time for lunch. Support is also crucial to your success wether at work or home. I wish you the best!
  • Xanne
    Xanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth,
    Although I'm retired now, I can relate to your time/stress issues. I worked a high-stress long-day job (I'm an RN), and had the same issues. At one point, I was getting up at 4AM to go to the gym (really near my house, luckily) before work, which I thought was going to kill me at first - until I started feeling better and less stressed. But, that's not for everyone, I know. (although you'll be glad you did when you reach my age -I'll be 72 next month). But, there are ways to work in small bits of exercise without doing anything so drastic; short walk at lunch (maybe with some co-workers)?, short one before you start dinner?, even just parking far away at work - every little bit counts! And I think MFP is definitely a HUGE help. First time I tried it I didn't open to any friends, but this time I'm realizing how really helpful and motivating that support can be. There are LOTS of us in this boat, and most of us are very supportive of one another. Maybe one small change a week in your eating/drinking habits? Not knowing your family situation or daily habits, it's hard to be more specific, but you sound like you are really motivated, and that's what it takes; I know you can do it, because you know you need to and are worth it! And, decreasing your stress level will make everything so much easier, and let's face it exercise is one of the best ways to do that! Hang in there; we're all here for you!
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    That can be hard. Wish you all the best.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like eating at night, I make myself a bowl of popcorn. I like the 100 calorie bags like Smartpop.
  • slimnicola01
    Options
    Hi I had the same problem but made a deal with myself that if I was going to eat a snack would have to do some exercise first (treadmill, sit ups, jumping jacks) just whatever for 10 minutes - some days I am too tired so dont bother with exercise or eating other I do the exercise and not so hungry after so eat a much smaller portion :)
    Do the same at lunch, really hungry but make myself walk around the block first - really does get rid of hunger pangs and do tend to eat less.
  • Xanne
    Xanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Those sounds like really good suggestions, slimnicola01! I'm going to give that a try too; evenings are my worst time to "nibble".