MFP Runner's Club June 18

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Wow! Good morning. A lot of us got out and ran yesterday. Great job everyone.

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. The humidity was only 68% and it was 62 degrees.:love:

It was a great morning for a run.

I can't wait to hear from you
-Kechie.

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good morning. A lot of us got out and ran yesterday. Great job everyone.

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. The humidity was only 68% and it was 62 degrees.:love:

It was a great morning for a run.

I can't wait to hear from you
    -Kechie.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Well, didn't go out again due to rain. :angry:
    Of course it's beautiful and cool outside now but I can't run now, I'm working!!

I can't seem to get my butt out of bed when it's raining. I get so turned off and go right back to bed. :frown:

What frustrated is that they are calling for rain for the rest of the week. We've had a months worth of rain already in less than 2 weeks. How depressing!

Glad you got out kechie!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I'm kind of new around here and new to running and was wondering if you do/did get a side cramp, did you run through it and eventually during the run it went away or did you stop that day? I get a side cramp in my side and try to run through it. Will it eventually go away as I get more fit?

I'm doing the Couch to 5K program and am stuck on week 5. I've been doing week 5 day 2 for a few days now and have had this cramping in my side. I'm nervous to go on to day 3 (20 min. run) mostly b/c I don't want to fail having come this far.

Anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble!

Heidi
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to get a cramp in my side every time I ran as well. It can be caused by a number of things, but it's usually because of breathing. If you get a cramp, try taking deeper breaths and see if that works. It could also be the way your running if you're leaning more to one side and/or not stretching enough. Do you ever get a recurring pain in one of your knees? If the breathing doesn't help, try to do extra stretching and make sure you're landing evenly on both feet/sides of your body. Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Hey Heidi! I'm on week 6 of Couch to 5K. I also get some side stitches when I run, so when one comes on I just slow up a bit and work on bringing my heart rate down some. You can do the 20 minutes! I did it last week and the first 5 minutes were the hardest. Just push through and you won't fail. I told myself I would go as long as I possibly could and if I had to stop and walk, well, I would. You will be surprised what your body can do, just don't let the brain take over.

Well ladies (and gents), I was supposed to do workout 2 of week 6 this morning. But I didn't get out of bed. I don't even have the excuse of rain because it is a beautiful morning. My only excuse is that I'm soooooo tired right now. We are leaving Friday for vacation and so I'm busy at work trying to get as much done as I can. I'm also registrar for our fall soccer league and it's getting to crunch time and I have to have teams finalized before I go. My daughter's softball game (tourney time) went until after 10:00 last night, so it was really, really late by the time I got to bed. I can't run tonight because I have to do a Pampered Chef show.... I will get my last 2 workouts in yet this week somehow....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Well, didn't go out again due to rain. :angry:
    Of course it's beautiful and cool outside now but I can't run now, I'm working!!

I can't seem to get my butt out of bed when it's raining. I get so turned off and go right back to bed. :frown:

What frustrated is that they are calling for rain for the rest of the week. We've had a months worth of rain already in less than 2 weeks. How depressing!

Glad you got out kechie!

That stinks, Mireille! :frown:

Do you have a rain slicker? I know it's hard to get up when it's raining, but you'll feel better if you do. :flowerforyou:

Heidi - I'm prone to side stitches too, they stink!! :mad:

From Runner's World:

"If you're experiencing a stitch in your right side, try to exhale as your left foot hits the ground. If your stitch is in your left side, exhale when your right foot makes impact.

Also, try to breathe from your belly more.

As for reducing your chances of getting a stitch in the first place, your best bet is to strengthen your abdominal muscles. Strong abs can keep your organs more firmly in place so they don't tug so hard on your diaphragm." (I'm so screwed! :laugh: )

Hope that helps!!

And good job Kechie! :drinker: As I indicated last night, running in the heat stinks!!! I admire you for doing it! :heart:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I ran just over 5miles last night once I got off work. It was 7:30 before I started. I found it was much much more difficult to run late at night, I am just so ready to be lazy by that time of night! Today we have PT at 3. I am hoping that it is cool enough to get a run in still. Tomorrow is supposed to be the 5k but there is a 40% of t-storms... so we will see if they cancel or not.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I ran just over 5miles last night once I got off work. It was 7:30 before I started. I found it was much much more difficult to run late at night, I am just so ready to be lazy by that time of night! Today we have PT at 3. I am hoping that it is cool enough to get a run in still. Tomorrow is supposed to be the 5k but there is a 40% of t-storms... so we will see if they cancel or not.

I do better in the mornings too. I felt like I was running in ski boots last night. :grumble:

Good job on the 5 miles, you'll kick-butt tomorrow! :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Options
    [/quote]

Do you have a rain slicker? I know it's hard to get up when it's raining, but you'll feel better if you do. :flowerforyou:

[/quote]

Thanks Shannon! :flowerforyou:
    What is a rain slicker?
  • Mireille
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What is a rain slicker?
  • Shannon023
    Options

[/quote]

What is a rain slicker?
    [/quote]

Just something waterproof with a hood. I don't know what they're really called. :tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post yesterday, oops.

I got in 30 minutes and 2.5 miles again today. I am getting stonger, next goal 2.75 miles in 30 minutes!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info ladies! I find when it happens I am concentrating on my breathing, so maybe I just need to focus on something else. It's weird, when I think about how to breath, or breathing a certain way, it just kind of creeps up. And I find if I don't suck in my stomach it doesn't happen as often or as badly either. Weird, but after reading all the responses I'm guessing it's how I breath. So thank you for all the tips and info! :flowerforyou:

Heidi
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info ladies! I find when it happens I am concentrating on my breathing, so maybe I just need to focus on something else. It's weird, when I think about how to breath, or breathing a certain way, it just kind of creeps up. And I find if I don't suck in my stomach it doesn't happen as often or as badly either. Weird, but after reading all the responses I'm guessing it's how I breath. So thank you for all the tips and info! :flowerforyou:

Heidi

Also, try lifting up under your ribs (where the pain is). Helps un-squish everything. :wink:
  • Mireille
    Options

What is a rain slicker?
    [/quote]

Just something waterproof with a hood. I don't know what they're really called. :tongue:
    [/quote]

I have a waterproof rain coat but what I really need to invest in are contact lenses. I hate it when my glasses get all wet. Just another excuse. lol
  • Shannon023
    Options

I have a waterproof rain coat but what I really need to invest in are contact lenses. I hate it when my glasses get all wet. Just another excuse. lol

Just getcher *kitten* out there woman!!! :laugh:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lol@you guys!

I actually ran again two days in a row....holler!!!

3 miles but 30 mins...was 28 yesterday...lol...it was hot and sunny though in my defense...defense from who I have no idea? lmbo

I would love to try a 5k...I know its less than what I run, but the excitement of the race always revs you up! lol...or me up! and I usually run faster...would be a lot of fun I think I'll look into it....

hugs!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    lol@you guys!

3 miles but 30 mins...was 28 yesterday...lol...it was hot and sunny though in my defense...defense from who I have no idea? lmbo

I would love to try a 5k...I know its less than what I run, but the excitement of the race always revs you up! lol...or me up! and I usually run faster...would be a lot of fun I think I'll look into it....

hugs!

Organized runs are so fun!!!!!!! :drinker: You're right, they totally help with your timing!

Go for it, girlie!!! :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Options

Just getcher *kitten* out there woman!!! :laugh:

Yes, boss. :grumble:
    I promise I'll get out tomorrow morning, rain or shine.
    Question, do you go running when it's raining?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lol@you guys!

hugs!

Organized runs are so fun!!!!!!! :drinker: You're right, they totally help with your timing!

Go for it, girlie!!! :drinker:

(whispers....) its called showing off!!:laugh: