Ripped in 30 - Seeking your guidance

Options
So, I've been doing the ripped in 30 DVD since Feb 19. I did Week 1 eight times, or until it started to become a little easier for me. Now, I've done Week 2 eight times.

That's 16 workouts in a month. It surprises me to find out that I took that many days off. It sure doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, on to my question.

Week 2 has been very challenging for me. I'm at about 200-205 pounds now (first 40 pounds lost almost exclusively by diet) and this is the most intense workout regimen I have *ever* been on. I know it's extremely light by comparison to most, but for me it's been a big, big deal.

I have been reluctant to move on to Week 3, which I have heard is the hardest of the four. The reason is because I still have to modify certain moves quite a bit. I can't finish the two sets of plank jacks and two sets of mountain climbers. I am unable to balance on one foot, lean forward and do the rowing with weights without falling over. (I use 8 pounders) I can't finish the plank/squat/jump things. On the flip side, I do very well with the high knees, renegade rows, jump rope and "table" maneuver. If I collapse from any of the moves I can't complete, I'll just start doing pushups or something to keep moving.

Just to explain my fitness level, I have to laugh when Jillian tells me when to breathe. Exhale on the way up? Are you kidding? I'm exhaling/inhaling 6 times on the way up lady! I'm literally a purple, quivering ball of sweat by the end of this workout. After stretching at the end, if I sit on the couch for a few minutes and then stand up, I often feel light headed for just a few seconds. I'm telling you these things whip me. I push trying to do just one extra move each time such that I think my chest is going to burst.

Now as much as I hate exercise in principle and for the obvious discomfort level, I feel awesome about finally taking these steps at age 42. God help me, even after this short time working at this, my muscles are becoming more evident, my posture has improved and I feel just generally better about my physical life.

So, before I stray even futher into TLDR territory, does any of this sound normal? Have I bitten off more than I should chew at this point? Or too little? Spend another few weeks on Week 2 or press on regardless? (I don't get bored easily) Looking for any kind of critique that might give me direction whether it be exercise, food or attitude related. I'm honestly all ears, even if it's "tough love." I just have no frame of reference for any of these experiences and may need a little wisdom from the MFP family.

It may also help to know that I've only been logging this as about 250 calories and I haven't always been eating it all back. Scooby has my TDEE at around 2400 for sedentary. I try to shoot for < 1700 calories a day because I know that I will want heavy beers (homebrew enthusiast) at least one or two times a week and blow the top off three or four thousand calories once or twice a week. I usually keep my weekly calorie net average between 2000 and 2500 calories with the main objective being to lose a pound or two a month.

A year of my diary should be open, warts and all. Thank you for reading and for any thoughts you may have.

Replies

• gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    forrest.jpg

Yeah. Total TLDR I guess. :yawn:
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well, there is only a little over an hour between your first and second posts. More people will probably chime in, just give it some time.

I am at the same place in RI30 as you. I''m 52 and have never done strength training before, only cardio to lose weight, so this is all new for me too. I did level one 7 times, and just did my 6th session of level 2 yesterday. I think I will do level 2 one more time before attempting level 3 (which I watched today while on the arc trainer....yikes!).

These workouts are hard! I too find the plank jacks and mountain climbers the hardest of the whole workout. I am cursing up a storm during those and have yet to make it through both sets without dropping to my knees even for just a couple seconds.

Anyway, I am going to stick with this and I hope you do too! Just do each level as many times as you feel you need before even thinking about advancing. Personally, I only do the workouts every other day, with cardio in between.

You can do it!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi, Having spent a lot of quality time with your friend Jillian, I must say that occasionally I have had to spent 1 or 2 extra weeks at a certain level because I didn't feel like I "had" it. No shame in that. It doesn't make sense to ramp up harder if you are still struggling with a few of the moves. Give it a week or two, you body will catch up!
    I have no comments about how you are eating, it seems like you are fueling yourself well, and have reasonable expectations.
    Great work!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I think you shocked stick with the level you are at until you get it. No point in progressing when you aren't ready and getting discouraged. I think the general rule about moving to the next level is to move when the current level gets too easy.

So I think you are doing the right thing by going at your own pace. Keep it up, it will get easier. I am about to do level one of this workout today. Can't wait. :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing well and sensible to repeating the level until you can manage it well. JM workouts are tough!

I also thought when I started Insanity that I'd bitten off more then I could chew as by the end of a workout I would look like a drenched tomato and was so hot I thought I might self combust! BUT it gets easier, keep going!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I work with a trainer. I was doing the same thing as you before I started working with him. What I learned is that you have to build core strength first then go to the harder stuff.

Check out google or you tube for beginner core moves and get yourself a stability ball if hiring a trainer is out of the question for you.

Work daily on at least 5 core building exersises, do each 5 3 times through. This will greatly help you in succeeding in getting through the JM dvd.

Once your core is stronger you will notice a huge difference in what you can accomplish.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Stay on level 2 until it gets easier. Level 3 is so hard, I think she must be on crack to come up with some of the stuff. I never did complete the whole DVD but I get bored easy. I mastered the first 2 levels and still try level 3 once in a while. I like 30 day shred more than Ripped in 30 so that's probably another reason that I haven't finished it, I just alternate between Ripped and her other dvds.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    HI. I'm 53 (nearly 54) and am in week 4 of Ripped in 30. Yes, this it TOUGH, and I've been exercising regularly, some way or another, for the past 20 years or so. ( I HATED those darned mountain climbers.) Each morning, I wonder if Jillian intended this DVD for old grannies like me. I would say that the MOST important thing to do is to just keep at it. No matter which weeks workout you are doing. Like she says...just be present and give it everything you have.

When I finish week 4, I intend to re-do the 30 Day Shred, then back to week 1 of Ripped in 30. Each week, no matter if it's week or the last in the series, is a great workout to get done before I head to work.

Good luck, and keep pushin'!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice here!!! I agree in that I don't think there is any harm at all in progressing at a rate you are more comfortable with. What is important in my (humble) opinion is just that you are doing it and being consistent with it! Good for you!!!! I am mixing her different workouts up and the "salutes" she has in the "No more trouble zones", just about killes me!!! And when she has you doing her "running man" and she is saying "you can do this...I have 350 lb people who do this", and I am thinking "help me!!!". lol. I tell the people here at work that I honestly think she is trying to kill me, haha.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    thats interesting, done day 1 of level 2 today, i'm 45 and heavier than you, ohmygoshhh that was hard, couldn't do all the moves. loved level 1 though - even had to go out and buy heavier weights. the only thing i will say is before this i done 30 day shred, i done it the first time at level 1 for 30 days because i thought i was too overweight to do all 3 levels. the second time i done each level for 10 days and saw much better results & my fitness level went up very quickly.

have you decided how your going to progress?
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    HI. I'm 53 (nearly 54) and am in week 4 of Ripped in 30. Yes, this it TOUGH, and I've been exercising regularly, some way or another, for the past 20 years or so. ( I HATED those darned mountain climbers.) Each morning, I wonder if Jillian intended this DVD for old grannies like me. I would say that the MOST important thing to do is to just keep at it. No matter which weeks workout you are doing. Like she says...just be present and give it everything you have.

When I finish week 4, I intend to re-do the 30 Day Shred, then back to week 1 of Ripped in 30. Each week, no matter if it's week or the last in the series, is a great workout to get done before I head to work.

Good luck, and keep pushin'!

Wow KD...almost 54!!! You look awesome!!!! You are definitely NOT an old grannie!!
  • gboybama
    Options
    Wow, what a ton of good advice! Thanks y'all.

Sorry about the shameless bump earlier. The original post had fallen to the page two abyss with no responses in just fifteen minutes, haha.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ripped in 30 too, but haven't gone beyond week two simply because I've had a few breaks as I've been traveling a lot. I also have taken lots of circuit training classes over the years and run at least three days/week and do elliptical 1-2 days/week so I consider myself pretty fit. That said that set with the plank jacks and mountain climbers gets me every time! Its a tough set (which is made worse by some current thumb and wrist tendonitis that I am dealing with).

I think doing what works for you is most important. However, there is something to be said about variety and working your muscles in different ways so my strategy is to move on through the weeks (I try to do the each workout 6-8 times before moving on), modifying when needed, and then going through all of the weeks again adding more difficulty.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why your goal is to lose only 1-2 pounds per MONTH-rather than per week? Or is that a typo? You will do better with your workouts as you have less weight to carry during those workouts. It will still be extremely hard, but you'll be surprised at how much more you can do as you get smaller. I did 30 Day Shred 30 days in a row without rest days when I still weighed about 215 (I'm 5'8"), so I know how hard it is go from almost no exercise to a JM video. There is no law that says you only have to do that one video or that you can't mix it up between level 1 & 2 & 3 etc. Just keep at it!

Oh, and if you have her other videos, here is a fun schedule to mix things up (I got this off of MFP forums and did this about a month after I completed 30DS). BTW I don't think Quick Trouble Zones is a video you can buy, so when I did this I substituted a different video. Since you have Ripped in 30 you can sub that for 30DS. I definitely recommend getting No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism - they are great workouts too!

30 Day Slimdown Schedule

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
  • gboybama
    Options
    thats interesting, done day 1 of level 2 today, i'm 45 and heavier than you, ohmygoshhh that was hard, couldn't do all the moves. loved level 1 though - even had to go out and buy heavier weights. the only thing i will say is before this i done 30 day shred, i done it the first time at level 1 for 30 days because i thought i was too overweight to do all 3 levels. the second time i done each level for 10 days and saw much better results & my fitness level went up very quickly.

have you decided how your going to progress?

Using the various comments on here as my guidepost, I think I need to wait a little longer for my body to catch up to the Week 2 workout. Where I was okay to progress after 8 attempts at Week 1, I think I'm going to shoot for about 15 tries on Week 2 before I move on.

To slainger: Nope, not a typo. I've lost 42-45 pounds and only have 15-18 left to go before my goal weight. Supposedly, one should start getting closer to maintenance (and thus slower weight loss) as one gets closer to GW. Things have ground so much to a halt for me as far as the pounds dropping off that two pounds a month would seem great. I have too much fun on my binge days to expect any better. And I'm okay with that. I just want to maintain forward progression.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    To slainger: Nope, not a typo. I've lost 42-45 pounds and only have 15-18 left to go before my goal weight. Supposedly, one should start getting closer to maintenance (and thus slower weight loss) as one gets closer to GW. Things have ground so much to a halt for me as far as the pounds dropping off that two pounds a month would seem great. I have too much fun on my binge days to expect any better. And I'm okay with that. I just want to maintain forward progression.
    [/quote]

When I was in weight loss mode I kept my calorie goals set at 2 pounds per week until I reached goal weight. I don't see the need to slow it down when when you are still 15 or more pounds away. Those last 15-20 pounds can be the hardest to lose, so you need to stay focused!!:happy: