"No F'en way you're 40!"

Options
xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
Yesterday was the first day I wore a bikini in almost 10 years. I felt I deserved it becuase I have spent monthsbeing incredibly careful about what I put into my body and exercising with much more diligence than I ever have in my life. My plan was to wear it on my husband's boat, while we anchored somewhere off-shore and I could sunbathe in private (with my spf 30 on of course!), but he made plans to hang with a group of 8 new friends he met at the marina instead. So a very self-conscious me hung out with them in my new bikini and tried not to act like the insecure, anxious person I was inside. Later in the day, the conversation turned to age, as we were all getting to know each other, and when the ladies in the group tried to guess my age, they all paced me between 28-32 years old!! As I shook my head and they kept guessing older ages, finally it hit them and they said "No way! There is no F-N way you are 40 years old!" I just smiled and nodded. They were shocked, and said a bunch of really nice things like "Wow, I want some of whatever you take!" and the best compliment yet" You skinny B****!" I Wow, what a great feeling. I have been working very hard to lose those pounds I carelessly gained over the last 10 years, and been working just as hard to maintain my weight loss since then. As a woman who is about to turn 41, there can be no greater compliment than having other women of my age group express shock and envy at my appearance. That is an outcome I was not planning for, but I could not have done (or continue to do) any of it without MFP. I hope all of you reading this won't think I'm being shallow, but will be encouraged that your goals ARE reachable and will provide you with rewards you weren't expecting as well!

Replies

• MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! What an awesome compliment if you ask me! LOL Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • kimber1971
    Options
    That is incredible! Great job!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    "skinny *****" ha-- I love it! How wonderful you must have felt!

Great job-- and a necessary reminder to all-- there is nothing unattainable, my friends. Work hard. Eat right.

This can be done.
  • lisaosumarie
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    How cool!!:flowerforyou:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    that's amazing! congrats on all your hard work! Compliments are so motivating. I am with you--just turned 41 a few months ago and turning 40 kind of drove me to MFP. I don't think I know any 40 year old woman who thinks they are any older than they were 10 years ago....so we might as well stay looking 10 years younger, right?
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    So cool! I am 42 and I get that alot too but I'm pretty sure its the botox hahahaha!!!
  • Sweetheart6lk
    Options
    Thats amazing and I'm so proud of you! I hope that when Im 40 people say the same wonderful things to and about me! Don't feel bad for "gloating," I certainly would too! You worked hard for this- BE SO PROUD!!!!!!
  • km1540
    km1540 Posts: 22
    Options
    What a great complement. You deserve it! way to go..
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That's great! I call all my skinny friends "skinny bit***" Then I end it with "In love" haha! I can only hope one day someone calls me that! That will be a happy happy Day! Yay for you!
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    Congrats - the compliments do reinforce what we are working towards. And it helps reduce the insecurity. I'm with you, but I'm 47. Most people, when they hear I have a 24 and 26 year old are shocked because they think I can't be older than 35 or 36. It is a wonderful feeling, one worth sharing and one worth holding on to. Enjoy it!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know any 40 year old woman who thinks they are any older than they were 10 years ago....so we might as well stay looking 10 years younger, right?

My sentiments exactly! My daughters think it's cool to have a "Young Mum" - all their friends and their mum's can't believe I'm not in my early thirties and are shocked to hear that I have an 18, 15 and 14 year old - but I think it's more about the attitude just as much as getting the body beautiful into shape .... and letting the inner God's and Goddesses shine out through our eyes, hearts and deeds.

Well done with becoming the "You" you wanted to be - I'm sure we'll all get there one day because we are tuning into some really great friends with even greater mindsets - and thanks to MFP for providing such a wonderful meeting space !!

Thanks for sharing your success.

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    HOw fabulous ! Now you have to flaunt it my dear and make your MFP picture ..You in your bikinis, you have earnt it so you may as well flaunt it girl !! Awesome
  • jbogo1
    jbogo1 Posts: 28
    Options
    Great Story! Good work! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not shallow at all! You did the work, and you deserve all the great attention you're getting. This is my first week on MFP, and it keeps me going to read stories like yours. It's still early in the summer; get a whole wardrobe of bikinis!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bet you felt fab all day after the compliments ,well done ,you look gorgeous :)
  • blugoogirl
    blugoogirl Posts: 41
    Options
    WOW! That's awesome :) Congrats !
  • Winter0916
    Winter0916 Posts: 80
    Options
    Not shallow at all! I get what you mean, thanks for the inspiration!
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congradulations, that's a wonderful story. I can relate (a little bit). I am 54 and on Friday I bought POOL PASSES for our neighborhood pool for the first time in MANY YEARS. I'll be wearing a tank suit, but I won't be self-conscious. Plan to do some water-walking and slow swimming and enjoy the cooler evening hours by the pool. Woo hoo!!!
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's so cool! I'm 41, and am working hard to lose the 20 lbs (it started out as 10, but two fast diets opened the door to quickly lose, then regain the 10, adding 5 lbs MORE each time!!! disaster!!!) i "carelessly" put on in the past 5 years, too. Grad school introduced a newly sedentary lifestyle for 3 years.

I felt so crappy that I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be as active as I used to be again, but that was my goal. I've begun surfing again (really hard and frustrating at first, bc I used to be halfway decent and had zero strength and stamina) and my fitness has really begun to pick up. I feel MUCH better, am happy with my much slower diet plan (1/2 lb a week, should cause stability, not change my metabolism so i re-gain as soon as i eat "normally" again) and have lost the first 3-4 lbs. But the fitness has me looking and feeling so much better that my confidence has increased tremendously! I feel MUCH sexier even though I have a long way to go to hit my goal physique. Happy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!