No Longer "Big and Tall"

Options
I bought a new belt today. My old belt was way too long and wrapped around the middle of my back. I was wearing a size 60/62 belt size. Today, I bought a size 42 belt from Kohl's. Clothing is so much less expensive and more convenient with more selection now that I am no longer in the "big and tall" section or have to go to big and tall specialty stores. I still have more to lose but it's nice.

I have now lost 168 pounds in 13 months. I'm now at 237 pounds after being 405 pounds in Feb. 2012. I'm 6-0, male, age 38. For men, size 42 waist is normally the cut off for "normal' size as opposed to big and tall so I consider this a major non-scale victory. I am now also wearing a size XL t-shirt. I can't remember the last time I wore a size XL anything. Every aspect of my life is better since I have lost weight. I'm about 17 pounds from no longer being considered "obese" which is my next major milestone. I'm so excited for spring and summer where I will be able to do more activities. I have never gone horseback riding and would like to try that. Also, I want to ride a waverunner at a lake and maybe even try waterskiing. I spent a good portion of my life morbidly obese but now I feel like I have a new lease on life.

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Brian! You're on your way!

Make sure you hit those weights, stop paying so much attention to that scale, pay attention to the tape measure!

Great job, proud of you man!
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! You've come such a long way and you definitely should be beaming with pride. It's a hard road, but you've made such great progress and I know you'll keep it up. Make sure to post pictures of the horseback riding! It's such a blast! :):flowerforyou:
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Congrats. Hard work pays off!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    congrats dude, that is awesome and has to feel good. I thought I was done with Big and Tall, but now ive found im too small for the Big, but too Tall for the regular stores lol.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    congrats dude, that is awesome and has to feel good. I thought I was done with Big and Tall, but now ive found im too small for the Big, but too Tall for the regular stores lol.

At 6'4 I always have a hard time finding clothes at regular stores. That's why I wear capris.
  • amd112278
    Options
    Brian,

That's so amazing! My most heartfelt congratulations. I, too, am a rather large guy. I'm at a 50 waist. 34 years old. Have just started doing DDP Yoga, and have already noticed a difference. I've changed my eating habits and am well on my way.

If you don't mind me asking, what else besides eating properly have you done to accomplish this remarkable achievement?

Adam
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is awesome Brian!

Keep at it. you've made awesome progress! I was shopping big and tall for a little while at my heaviest. It felt really good to be back in the "normal" sections again. I know the feeling and you should be very happy with that accomplishment!
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options

At 6'4 I always have a hard time find clothes are regular stores. That's why I wear capris.

That's funny! I'm 6'4" as well, and I always feel like pants are capris, even when they are suppose to fit me!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

The weight I understand but how did you make yourself shorter?
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    A huge Congratulations and all of your hard work is paying off! Way to go!!!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!! Don't throw that old one away. You will want to compare when you are done.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! I bet you felt really good shopping in the "normal" section of the store, right? You're doing so great, you can keep it up!
  • Boocakes08
    Options
    great job!!!!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous. Keep up the good work.
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! congrats!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Reading this was just what I needed today. Thanks for the inspiration and for bringing a smile to my face today!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You should be really proud. That is so awesome. Your life is truly beginning. So many more doors open when you are a normal size. Try everything and start living.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I lift weights six days a week alternating muscle groups each day (arms, back, shoulders on M,W,F; legs on Tu, Th, Sat). I am also taking a self pic with my shirt off once a month and noticing some difference muscle definition. I swim each weekday for 30-45 minutes which also helps with toning. Swimming is a great exercise.

I also track and chart my waist and hip measurements every other week. I'm down six inches in my waist since Jan of this year. I just need to stay on track and keep with my healthy lifestyle choices.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I focus on healthy lifestyle changes with diet and exercise. For exercise, I do mostly walking, lap swimming, and lifting weights. I did just walking and swimming for the first six months but then added weight training. For diet, I try to eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. I try to eat 5-6 small meals or snacks a day and eat around 2,000 calories per day. I still have a cheat meal once a week going out to dinner with my wife for pizza or mexican food. I track what I eat and my exercise in an Excel file. I now try to exercise about 2-3 hours a day (swimming and lifting weights in the morning; walking in the afternoon). I have a friend who wants me to go mountain biking with me. He has an extra bike and we have some nice trails nearby.

My height is stil the same. I'm 6-0. I have a tall torso so with some shirts, I have to buy XLT rather than an XL. It depends on the shirt.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!