HATE veggies & I don't know how to cook... HELP!

Options
I eat wayyyy too many processed foods. I want to start eating a bit cleaner to get a handle on my sodium and sugar intake, but I really dislike almost all veggies (besides starchy ones like corn and potatoes, of course -_-). I have no problem with fruit, though! I also don't really know how to cook! you think I'd be able to cook almost anything since I'm 22 and basically live alone. but I've stuck to frozen dinners and things that come in cans, jars, bags, and boxes.

does anybody have any suggestions on how to incorporate veggies into my daily diet?
any super simple recipes I can use frequently?

thanks in advance!

Replies

• pixiewings101
    Options
    Don't feel bad I was in the SAME boat as you. I'm also 22 and didn't know how to cook and I absolutely did not like veggies. But you know what helped me? Pininterest seriously. If it looks good and it has veggies in it I'll pin it and I'll cook it and theres bad ones and good ones. Try it, it may help. I have a different look on cooking now and it saves a lot of money too.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are there veggies that you enjoy when your family cooks them, or when you eat out? That would be a good starting point. We grow, cook and eat just about every vegetable known to man, lol. It's just such a broad topic I don't know where to begin. What about cook books? I started a thread called, "Keeper of the Keys". It may just speak to you at this moment in time.

Good for you for wanting to make this change!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting or grilling vegetables? Broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, eggplant, etc. etc. etc. all get an amazing and yummy flavor when roasted or grilled.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can hide veggies in other foods. For example, shredded carrots and zucchini can be added to turkey burgers. You'll trick your mind into thinking that you are eating something bad, but really it will be healthy for you. During the winter I eat a lot of canned and frozen veggies. These are easy to cook. Plus, there are some microwavable veggies out there that have perfect portions, and are delicious. It comes down to a little trial and error on finding out what you like and don't like.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would agree that baking makes some veggies better. I baked diced onions and califlower together with a little salt and cumin (with just a little bit of water to keep the veg from drying out). It was pretty good.

Also, cabbage diced, covered with a bit of water, and then cabbage friendly spices like dill, garlic, salt, pepper, fennel and baked until soft, really change the flavor of the veg to something almost sweet.

Diced zuchinni sauted with water and italian spices, can be thrown into spagetti sauce.
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why not keep the veggies you like. Seasoned baked potato wedges are awesome. Corn you can add to a homemade salsa.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Finding a partner that cooks is a win.:happy:
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try buying a juicer and juice veggies and include some fruit for taste. It's easier to down a small juice and get your veggies in that way. See if that works. Good luck!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat wayyyy too many processed foods. I want to start eating a bit cleaner to get a handle on my sodium and sugar intake, but I really dislike almost all veggies (besides starchy ones like corn and potatoes, of course -_-). I have no problem with fruit, though! I also don't really know how to cook! you think I'd be able to cook almost anything since I'm 22 and basically live alone. but I've stuck to frozen dinners and things that come in cans, jars, bags, and boxes.

does anybody have any suggestions on how to incorporate veggies into my daily diet?
    any super simple recipes I can use frequently?

thanks in advance!

Not many people start out as young adults knowing how to cook so don't be hard on yourself. It takes practice and a good basic cookbook. One with information on what you need in a kitchen to get started.( Having the right tools makes it easier.) Also it will have information on selection and how to prepare and cook a food in different ways. A good way to learn is to go to local farmer's markets and strike up conversations with the vendors. They grow and sell the produce and know how to cook it and can tell you about the taste and texture of unfamiliar veggies and fruits. Then just put your "brave" hat on and go to it. There will be disasters and triumphs and lots of fun if you can relax about it. Cooking shows help a lot of people and I'll bet there are a lot of demos on Utube also. I'm cheering for you and your willingness to improve your food plan.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Here is what I made tonight for dinner. See my blog for photo.
    You can leave out the asparagus or substitute it with zucchini, cabbage or spinach. This will make approximately 7 cups of soup. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for several days or you can freeze the leftovers in quart canning jars. (Be sure to leave enough headroom so when the soup expand in the freezer it won't crack the glass.)

4 cups of homemade vegetable broth ** (see below) OR 4 cups of store bought vegetable broth (Pacific brand is good)
    4 cups of water
    1 cup of well rinsed, picked through red lentils
    (Sometimes there are small stones mixed in the lentils from the store. Pour 1 cup of lentils into a strainer slowly while you're keeping an eye out for stones. Then rinse the lentils until they water is no longer cloudy.)
    4 medium carrots chopped
    1 medium onion (or half of one large onion) chopped
    3 stalks of celery chopped
    2 small potatoes cut up
    5 spears of asparagus cut into 1"- 2" pieces
    1/2 teaspoon of sea salt or himalayan salt
    1/2 teaspoon of basil
    1/2 teaspoon of tarragon
    1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
    A dash of pepper

Add the vegetable broth, water, carrots, onion, and celery to a large saucepan or dutch oven and boil until the lentils become soft (approximately 20 min)

Add the asparagus, herbs and spices and cook for another 5 minutes.

**The homemade vegetable broth is made by boiling a large onion, several carrots, a few of stalks of celery and several garlic cloves in 3 - 4 quarts of water for at least 45 minutes. You can leave the veggies whole while boiling. Afterwards, use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend the cooked veggies into the broth. Save in quart canning jars for when making quinoa, rice or soups.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That sounded just like me not too long ago. I'm still working on liking veggies- but I love to cook now! Still hate cleaning it though lol. I made friends with my kitchen three years ago. Watching food network has helped a lot! Some of the shows like Good Eats and Worst Cooks are very education- and the best way I think to learn to cook is to jump right in. There are some websites you can enter the ingredients you have and it will show you recipes. Or like someone earlier said pintrest. I keep my smart phone on me in the kitchen- so like if you need a timer Boom- or if you don't understand what something in the recipe says you can google it. Trial and error- and you'll find what you like and you'll learn how you'd do it next time you know?

Do you have friends that like to cook that would come coach you? Or are their classes you could take at a local vo- tech or ju co?
  • OliLloyd
    OliLloyd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One PRO-TIP is to blend your veg. I don't mean.. all of it, but you can make a tomato based sauce (chopped tomatoes + herbs) and add in some veggies and blend them into a sauce to have with your chicken or turkey or whatever it is you are eating, it works really well if you have problems with textures and such.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    well... tonight I tossed zucchini, squash, carrots, onions and mushrooms in olive oil garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Roasting till the carrots barely get tender/15-20 min (i can't stand mushy carrots... I like the crunch). I cut up extra of each veggie and threw it in tupperware containers so I don't have to chop anything next go round.

Also to start... try a veggie lasagna with only two layers of pasta (if you can find Quinoa lasagna noodles buy them!!!)

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-vegetarian-lasagna-recipe/
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hey when I was 22 I didn't know what I was doing in the kitchen at all but wanting to eat healthier inspired me to learn how to cook and now I'm 40 and a dam good home cook if I do say so myself :)

Roasting is a good way to cook veggies. Basically turn the oven up to about 400 degrees and put a tray of whatever veggie you have in there. You can use onions, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, potatoes, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, whatever. Chop into reasonable pieces and spray or toss with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper or anything else you might want to try like chili powder,cumin, even things like chicken seasoning are great on roasted veggies. Check them every 20 minutes or so and flip if needed. When they taste good then it's time to eat them!

Another thing I have is a microwave veggie steamer. You put a little water in the bottom and then the veggies in the top tray. You can use fresh or frozen veggies and it only takes a few minutes in the micro. Then you can add a little butter (I use Earth Balance) or salad dressing or salt and pepper to make it taste good enough to eat :)

And what about salads? That is a good way to get your veggies? You can even add corn,salsa,etc to some greens and make yourself a little taco style salad. Or you can make potato salad and serve it over greens.

I also like juicing so that becomes a great way to get more veggies!

And finally, what about fresh veggies like carrots with hummus? Doesn't everyone love hummus? Even on carrots?
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh most definitely hummus and carrot sticks!
  • flamencobarbie
    flamencobarbie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello, You asked a really great question... I make homemade pizzas, with low calorie pita pockets. I put tomato, onion, mushroom, sweet peppers, and spinach, and put mozzarella cheese on top..

Chicken soups are great, you can add carrots, garlic, celery. just scrumtous.

sweet potatos french fries: Slice finely, and bake with a little salt 450 degrees.. (watch carefully)

Stuffed Bellpeppers: stuffed with already cooked meat and rice with tender veggies inside. I use okra. Cut lid off bellpepper take out inside, and stuff. Place in oven on about 400 degrees. for about 20 minutes, but keep watching.. its ready when bell pepper is tender.. This is one of my favorites!

Have a nice day :smile:
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am so glad you're willing to try cooking. It is a survival skill. We lost power here for 3 days once and my neighbors damn near starved to death.

The every day food blog from Martha Stewart is a great place to start learning.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Another thing I have is a microwave veggie steamer. You put a little water in the bottom and then the veggies in the top tray. You can use fresh or frozen veggies and it only takes a few minutes in the micro. Then you can add a little butter (I use Earth Balance) or salad dressing or salt and pepper to make it taste good enough to eat :)

And what about salads? That is a good way to get your veggies? You can even add corn,salsa,etc to some greens and make yourself a little taco style salad. Or you can make potato salad and serve it over greens.

I also like juicing so that becomes a great way to get more veggies!
    Steaming in the microwave is probably the easiest no fuss way, I like to add a little chicken broth or bouillon for flavor. Also, as many have said roasting in the oven as well as grilling.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Finding a partner that cooks is a win.:happy:

I like this idea as I'm 29 and can't cook either :embarassed:
  • FitMom516
    FitMom516 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Roasted broccoli is my absolute favorite, I have it for a snack sometimes! Just mix a couple cups of broccoli with a tablespoon of olive oil and a clove of garlic (I cheat and buy already minced garlic in a jar!) Bake on cookie sheet until tops start turning a little brown and they are fork tender...usually like 20-25 mins at 375. Top with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. YUM!