How come I'm not losing weight?!

Options
I don't get it. I work out just about every day (cardio AND strength exercises), I eat 1500 calories (sometimes less) a day, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, stay away from sugary and fat filled foods, and yet, I'm having so much trouble losing weight. I've been doing this all summer long and NOTHING seemed to help. I was so frustrated with my weight the other day, I began balling my eyes out.
Why can't I lose these last 10 pounds?!
I really want to lose my "tire tube" and my wide hips. And because I know I'm pear shaped, I've heard it's difficult to get rid of...
I don't know if this helps, but I'm 16 years old, about 5'5'', and weigh about 130...
I feel as if I'm in this nightmare I can't get out of.
PLEASE help me! :sad:

Replies

• trimlaw
    trimlaw Posts: 11
    Options
    Hang in there and stay healthy. As you work out and tone muscle, you likely won't lose weight. Just concentrate on how good you feel when you exercise and eat right! That last 10 are the worst!
  • Marshawne
    Options
    My sister in-law had a simular problem. She stoped eating starch carbs. [Flour, Rice and potatoes] and the last 10 came off. Your body handles these carbs differently, They raise your blood sugar really quickly which causes your pancrass to put alot of insulin in your system. Insulin has been linked to weight problems. Try just cutting down on starch carbs and focus on fruits and veggies, with meat and dairy. and see what happens. The old saying "fat makes you fat" may not be that true. Starch carbs are worse.
    hope this helps.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you're 16 and 5'5" and 130 lbs. You shouldn't need to lose any weight IMHO. You're body has a HUGE metabolism (at 16 your metabolic rate is probably flying). If it were me, I would work on your body shape, which means toning up, maybe some increases in your oxygen efficiency (HIIT training and the like). But eating a deficit isn't going to help you very much in my opinion.

If possible (not sure what kind of $$ situation you are in but these cost about 50 to 100 bucks) get a body fat % test done, if you're below 20 (which I suspect you probably are, or very close to it), there's no need for you to do anything with weight loss at all (and trying will probably just frustrate you).

Remember, weight is arbitrary, forget the number on the scale, a healthy body has muscle, and muscle is HEAVY! But muscle is also very attractive, it's what gives you those curves, nice cut lines, and proportion that makes a woman look sexy! Take it from a guy, straight as an arrow and stick thin is NOT sexy.
  • tampalmer
    Options
    I very rarely read these feeds but today i just felt like I needed a boost. The last post from SHBoss1673 was very inspiring and feels like a healthier approach. Thank you!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    you're 16 and 5'5" and 130 lbs. You shouldn't need to lose any weight IMHO. You're body has a HUGE metabolism (at 16 your metabolic rate is probably flying). If it were me, I would work on your body shape, which means toning up, maybe some increases in your oxygen efficiency (HIIT training and the like). But eating a deficit isn't going to help you very much in my opinion.

If possible (not sure what kind of $$ situation you are in but these cost about 50 to 100 bucks) get a body fat % test done, if you're below 20 (which I suspect you probably are, or very close to it), there's no need for you to do anything with weight loss at all (and trying will probably just frustrate you).

Remember, weight is arbitrary, forget the number on the scale, a healthy body has muscle, and muscle is HEAVY! But muscle is also very attractive, it's what gives you those curves, nice cut lines, and proportion that makes a woman look sexy! Take it from a guy, straight as an arrow and stick thin is NOT sexy.

I'm with you all the way!!!!! The only advice I could add is........

Go to a local fabric store and get youself one of those fabric measuring tape thingys. Take your scale outside, get a sledge hammer and kill the darn thing. Then measure those parts that you want to shrink. Focus on the measurements! Not the weight. If you fight your body by trying to lose the weight it needs, you risk stunting your growth. You are still growning at 16 and important parts of you have not stopped developing. If you are pear shaped, be careful of how you strenth train down there. Muscle builds faster than fat disappears, so you might not like the immediate results.
    I did this very thing to myself by dieting young. I actually developed osteoperosis at 17 and shrunk 2 inches! I understand the pear shape. I too have hips that don't lie, or hide for that matter! But now that I'm older, I actually prefer the hips (even the butt)....and so do the guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: :blushing:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

i agree with banks here 100% [it's like you read my mind]

and at 16 you're still developing... :flowerforyou:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    why dont you stop putting so much pressure on yourself?? You're only 16!! You're just a kid in the big picture and you're still growing. Do you know how much growing can change the way you look? Keep excercising and just worry about being healthy.
  • tymaddox
    Options
    You probably are gaining muscle and losing fat.
  • Kris93
    Kris93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Aw... :smile: :smile: :smile:

It's been about 10 months since I've looked back at these responses from you all, and it touched my heart how you guys all tried in helping me find the confidence and support I needed at that time. :smooched:

I wish I understood that my body WAS still changing at the time, instead of believing I was done growing... :noway:
    I am now 17 and I'm taller, leaner and pretty satisfied with weighing 127 lbs (which is just a few pounds below my weight from back then!). :bigsmile: :wink:

I know this is a TAD late, but I just wanted to thank you all for your help and support when I was feeling awful about myself at the time. I really appreciated it. :heart: :smile:

You guys are the best. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

-Kristin
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Aw... :smile: :smile: :smile:

It's been about 10 months since I've looked back at these responses from you all, and it touched my heart how you guys all tried in helping me find the confidence and support I needed at that time. :smooched:

I wish I understood that my body WAS still changing at the time, instead of believing I was done growing... :noway:
    I am now 17 and I'm taller, leaner and pretty satisfied with weighing 127 lbs (which is just a few pounds below my weight from back then!). :bigsmile: :wink:

I know this is a TAD late, but I just wanted to thank you all for your help and support when I was feeling awful about myself at the time. I really appreciated it. :heart: :smile:

You guys are the best. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

-Kristin

Now that is lovely to see a posting many months later with the final results! Seriously, so many times I have wondered, "I wonder what happened with that person and their problem" or "I wonder if they managed to shift their weight in the end" - but you have let everybody know and it was a very positive result too - WTG, I am glad that everything turned out great in the end! :flowerforyou:
  • mbk1970
    mbk1970 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I too am very glad for the update. It is early and I thought that was a recent post. My heart just sank when I read that. We girls/women are so very hard on ourselves and at such an early age. Keep growing, keep eating healthy foods, and keep up the good work young lady. Thank you for the reality check.
  • Kris93
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy:

That was very sweet of you both to say! :smile:

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Kristen i just saw your photos and you look GREAT! GORGEOUS!!!! PRETTY!!! WOW ZA!!
  • Kris93
    Options
    Aww, thanks a bunch Jessica68!! :flowerforyou: :blushing:

That made my day. :smile: