Feel like giving up

Options
In desperate need of motivation. I have been working out at the gym since mid January and have seen no results!! I am 49 (female) and never had a weight issue in my life so this new body of mine has really made me depressed!! I have been active my whole life. I used to run up to 5 miles a day four days a week. I can no long run...having knee issues. So, I decided to join my local gym. When I first started it was really difficult to work out on an elliptical for 30 minutes..now I can go another 30 minutes. I work out on the weight machines as well. But I'm so discouraged because I see no change. Why?? What am I doing wrong? I eat well. Lots of vegetables & fruit. Not much red meat!! Lots of chicken and fish.
I didn't even go to the gym last night because I was so discouraged. This is my last resort and was very hopeful it would work.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what I can change??

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed and you have provided no information on how many calories you are eating etc.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food? Do you count calories? You can sabotage weight loss efforts by eating too much, even if you're "eating well". Healthy food still has calories, and a caloric surplus will still make you gain weight, despite eatiing mostly good for you foods. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you're not eating enough, that could stall weight loss as well. it also takes time for new routines to settle in.

So, keep it up. Log and track and measure/weigh all your food. Make sure you're eating under your daily calories burned. (Not just exercise calories, but exercise + BMR calories.)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Sounds like you have no goals, and are just throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks.

When working in a haphazard and pointless manner, expect haphazard and pointless results.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to help out, feel free to message me more details.

I think first would be a good analysis of what you are eating and when.

Then, what are you doing for weights? Machines are generally not your best bet. At 49, you should definitely try to get 3 heavy weight sessions in a week and build your lean muscle mass. That will be a HUGE benefit to losing fat and keeping you healthy.

A great book is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". And you can get some great support here. Find some people to check in daily with. It will be a huge help!!
  • andy518
    andy518 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hmmm...throwing crap at a wall? Hardly!! Even though I signed up to this site in 2011 this is the first time I am utilizing this site...so in a sense, I'm new. I'm actually setting up my goals right now. you guys are harsh :) I guess I should have set everything up first before I posted anything. Sorry!! JenMC14, thank you!! Your response is very helpful.
  • andy518
    andy518 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you CariS001. I will message you, thank you!! I appreciate your help & advice. Very informative!!
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm in the same boat (I've also been working out since January and see little results). It takes a while to see the hard work you've put into it but give it another 2 months, you should see a difference. I'm not worried about how I look though, I want to be a better runner.

My advise: Try focusing on something other than your weight or how your stomach looks. Focus on attainable goals that make you proud.

Have you tried something different? Maybe you should try an exercise bike, it's a lot easier on the knees, maybe try a spin class at your gym (if that exists).

I like what Waldo56 suggested: you need a goal (like jog 10K in 60 minutes by the end of April, or burn 600 calories on an exercise machine in 60 minutes - something that you need to work up to and something that's realistic). I wouldn't pay any attention to your actual body weight......pick a goal that's right for you.

Hang in there :)
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'd be happy to help out, feel free to message me more details.

I think first would be a good analysis of what you are eating and when.

Then, what are you doing for weights? Machines are generally not your best bet. At 49, you should definitely try to get 3 heavy weight sessions in a week and build your lean muscle mass. That will be a HUGE benefit to losing fat and keeping you healthy.

A great book is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". And you can get some great support here. Find some people to check in daily with. It will be a huge help!!

I agree with the eating part. It's hard to fully help without knowing what you are eating, how much you are eating, and how you are tracking what you are eating. You need to make sure you are tracking properly (weighing all foods, measuring all liquids) and you need to ensure you are tracking every little thing you eat or drink. Also, you need to make sure you are actually eating enough. It sounds weird but not eating enough can harm you more than help. Not eating enough will increase muscle loss along the way... which in turn lowers your metabolism.

How much weight do you have to lose? If you don't have a lot to lose building muscle will help. Unfortuantely, to build muscle you need to be eating at a slight calorie surplus which would cause you to gain a bit of fat but more muscle means a much smaller body even if the scale doesn't follow.

Don't give up regardless of how hard it gets. Giving up gets you no where. ALso, you need to find your own motivation. If YOU aren't motivated and YOU aren't determinded and YOU don't really want this, it will not happen.
  • lespez
    lespez Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 48 and am trying to lose weight. It is harder as you get older. I am also in menopause so I need to exercise to help with the symptoms. I would try and eat things you like and experiment with different foods. Slimming world have lots of nice sauces to make from stratch. Have a word with the gym instructor and get them to taylor a few work outs for you. you need at least 3 different set routine each week to rotate and stop you getting bored. You can add me to see what i eat....I don't always stick to the 1200 as I like cake and chocolate and sweets too much but I still try. Keep going and give yourself a break and have some fun!!!!!! I wear headphones and listen to music from my teens and often catch myself dancing when I should be exercising!!!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I think the logging of the food is what helps me the most. I exercise regularly but if I don't track my food I just end up wasting all that exercise on empty calories.

I think once you get logging things you will get on track. I also agree with the making an attainable goal. If you make your goals small and attainable you will find motivitaion and it will feel great.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think body measurements are very important, too. Even when I'm not losing weight, body measurements are changing (less in fatty areas, more in muscle areas). Also, clothing is fitting better.

One thing to look at may be a need for interval training. We burn much more pushing 80%-90% or so of your HR a few times in a cardio workout, staying there a few minutes, then a lower intensity recover phase, as opposed to a straight line endurance at the same level throughout. Makes a huge difference for me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...throwing crap at a wall? Hardly!! Even though I signed up to this site in 2011 this is the first time I am utilizing this site...so in a sense, I'm new. I'm actually setting up my goals right now. you guys are harsh :) I guess I should have set everything up first before I posted anything. Sorry!! JenMC14, thank you!! Your response is very helpful.

Its not really harsh.

You say you've never had a weight problem. Then list some workouts that you are doing, some foods you are eating. Used to be a runner, now use an elliptical.

That's great. But what is it you are trying to accomplish? Do you even know why you are doing all this work?

Having good goals is EVERYTHING. Real concrete specific goals that you can measure progress on. Short term goals, mid term goals, long term goals.

Wandering aimlessly in the general direction of nothing in particular is not a good way to get anywhere.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I hope you measured yourself. I bet you have lost inches. Im 46 and I've been the same weight for months and months, but I can tell you that I was thinking because I was exercising every day and not laying on the couch eating rows or oreos that I should have seen some imediate weight loss. Well I didn't. I gave it 6 weeks and nothing! Then I started looking at how many calories I should be eating and playing around with that. Ultimatley I couldn't stay consistant with my eating, logging my food or my exercising and I gave up all together! I took about a one month break because this became all consuming and I was VERY frustrated and then to make matters worse my husband stopped drinking Mountain Dew and dropped 25 pounds with NO FREAKIN EFFORT at all!

I feel your pain and frustration! Last Monday I got serious again and I'm logging ALL of my food and I'm trying to eliminate processed foods and be consistant about my excersising (which is a mix of cardio, weights and yoga). Monday I will weigh and I'm hoping since I can already feel a difference that the scale will agree with me!

Good luck on your journey and don't give up. Stay with MFP and find a group of people that will support you and keep you accountable. You are welcome to add me as a friend if you would like :flowerforyou:
  • lilbell13
    lilbell13 Posts: 18
    Options
    DONT give up!!!
    Get an assessment done at your gym with a body fat % test, aim to reduce that instead of looking so much at the scales, they lie and we should beat the crap out of them ;)

I turned 40 and decided to be 'fat no more', it took a while for my body to respond to what I was doing. Persistence is everything! :)

My suggestions are;
    Have a clear goal.
    Get a program from a professional in order to hit that goal
    You only spend a short time in the gym, make it count
    Have body fat checks done once a month to give yourself a good run at it (or decide what works best for you)
    Remember its 70% food and 30% gym.... Abs are made in the kitchen
    Chop and change your diet often, find what works and what doesnt work
    Cut sugars and starchy carbs from your diet
    Be treat wize - I pick a day of the week where I can have a cheat meal and a treat and thats it
    Work your willpower, its like a muscle and with work it will get stronger
    And above all, begin to enjoy what your doing. Excersize is a natural anti-depressant and will make you feel amazing when you get your heart pumping and start to sweat, even your skin will glow! :)

Don't give up.... It will happen and when it does you will reap the rewards!
    Lilbell xx
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    People here can appear harsh (hell, some are harsh!) but you'll always find people will help if you're open and precise. I feel your pain, I'm 43 and am having one hell of a job losing my weight - it won't shift no matter what I do at the moment, but I'm definitely changing shape, my trousers fell down the other day :laugh:

You need to consider what exactly you want to do, work out how much you're eating, what workouts you are doing, and what you want to achieve. One thing that I am becoming more and more convinced of is the need to bin the scales - they are pure evil and our whole day is influenced by what they say. The other thing that you need to consider is that it can take a long while for your work to begin to show in your body. If you're like me you can do cardio til you're blue in the face (literally) and still not really shift the fat, but lifting weights seems to help no end.

Feel free to add me, I'm always happy to help if I can, I'm no expert but I do know how it is to be a 40 something woman with fat that seems desperate to stay put :grumble:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that at least 80% of weight loss will come from your food intake. Exercise is great for fitness and to build muscle but it won't peel pounds off. You have to decide what your goal is and plan your diet and exercise from there.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    what change do you want to see?