question about fiber and protein

Options
LisaKC
LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
I am staying under my calorie goal, but it appears I am getting more protein than recommended, and more fiber, too. I don't care if I get more fiber; that's fine, because I need it for reasons I won't go into. But is there a downside to too much protein? And is it really too much? My main sources of protein today were two eggbeaters, a piece of lean pork and some soy milk, and I still exceeded the recommended amount.

Thanks for any feedback. I'm new at this, so please be forgiving if this is a dumb question!

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question. I think MFP's protein allowance is low, and I think others on here do too. There have been several posts...search protein in the message boards and you'll see some good ones. :flowerforyou:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You need to consume about half your weights worth of protein. I consume somewhere between 75 and 100 grams a day and if I have any less I am starving all day long.

You should change your settings so that you have a more balanced diet.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Also, If you need protein for digestive reasons, then you should probably also go by my example and consume more than 30 grams a day.

A great low calorie fiber source is GG Scandinavian Crispbread. Love it!!!!
  • nikmaack
    nikmaack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suspect I need lots of fibre for the same reason you do. There's a reason I'm trying to lose weight, and that's part of it. Being fat causes the C word -- CONSTIPATION. I'm hoping to get that issue out of my life. And a high fibre diet, with lots of water, helps.

As for protein -- from what I've read, when changing your caloric intake, it's a good idea to make sure you get lots of protein, so you lose FAT and not MUSCLE. I've also read that eating a lot of protein will boost your metabolism. Evidently, eating protein burns some calories, as your body struggles to process it.

I've also been told that the reason daily protein intake is important is because your body doesn't store it -- just processes what you give it. And that's why so many weight lifting types (with massive muscles) eat those protein bars.

Mind you, if you're on a low calorie diet, and you want to up your protein, these bars and shakes really help.

I went to Popeye's (a nutritional supplement store) and they sold me on Protein 32 bars. Kind of high in calories, but low in sugar and high in protein. They're a great snack in the middle of the day -- and they help with the constipation and my protein needs. Anyway, I like them, for what that's worth. My wife thinks they're awful, but I find most meal bars WAY too sweet.

Hope this is helpful. As far as I can tell, reputable nutritionists suggest trying to snack on protein all day long. So going over your daily dose of protein, as MFP says it, is probably a good thing. ;-)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for protein is low. For weight loss, you should be at 30%.
  • water4life
    water4life Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would also like to change my percentages for carbs, protein, and fat, but i can not remember how to change it can someone give me instructions on how to do so, specifically. thanks
  • h31d1
    h31d1 Posts: 3
    Options
    soy milk can cause breast cancer do some research on it!