WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? HELP!

Options
I am starting to think something is very wrong with me. I am going to have my hormones checked in the next few weeks. I am posting hoping someone out there can give me some guidance, or has an idea about what could be my problem.

I seem to be gaining weight for no reason, and am unable to lose it.

I am 5'5 F and weighed around 125 my entire life (from ages 13-29). I literally never fluctuated except for the occasional "oh I have a vacation/party/wedding coming up and want to drop 5-10". My body never gained weight. In fact I would call it weight gain resistant

At around age 29 I gained about 15lbs over the summer. Quite honestly, I'd been over indulging a bit but not enough to where I expected have gained 15lbs...I would have expected under 10. I began dieting but my weight continued to climb and leveled off at about 155 (another 10lbs) for about a year. Then, out of nowhere, in the matter of a couple months, I gained an additional 10lbs.Putting me right at about 165. Nothing made sense. My activity/exercise level hadnt changed, the amount of food I was consuming hadnt changed. I continued to diet. A year later, I am up another 10lbs.

Here is what I've experienced If you have any insights please please please share:

Symptoms
1. Dizzy+ vertigo when restricting calories even in minor amounts. I used to be able to live happily off 1200 calories, now 1700 feels like starvation and am unable to function.
2. Marked weight gain when restricting grains & bread
3. Marked gain when consuming red meat
4. very sensitive to restaurant/processed foods and sodium (major bloating immediately following that can last for days regardless of water consumption)
5. Major increase in appeite when exercising or not enough energy to exercise if dieting
6. Feeling awful during/following cardio at any level (multiple trainers and techiniques)- mostly dizziness
7. no longer able to fast for 36hours. (I used to liquid fast 36hrs/week, usually Monday's. I did this for 15 years steadily and always felt great. My body loved it and craved it. I even had energy to exercise heavily on fasting days. No longer able to fast, let alone miss a meal)
8. No longer able to go long periods without food (used to only eat one meal a day and used energy from that meal all day long with no issues).
9. No apparent issue with soy/dairy/wheat/gluten.
10. Do not get full without grains in diet
11. Eggs do not satisfy and feel gross after eating them, also do not seem to lose weight when replacing meat with eggs/eggwhites
12.Smoked from age 17-23, quit cold turkey, gained no weight but experienced temporary acne
13 never been able to drink alcohol. tastes like poison. feel sick after drinking.
14. lifelong allergy to certain mushrooms- results in vomiting.

Constants
Drink at least 64 oz of water a day sometimes double
Take fiber supplement everyday
Never drink alcohol
Never overeat to the point of stuffedness

Diets I have tried & results
1. VEGAN (no fried foods) 1month
Felt great first 2 weeks, then in wks 3-4 lack of energy/dizziness/weak/tired
Lost 5lbs

2.ATKINS INDUCTION (prepared own food) 1month
Felt awful, like I was going to die.
EXTREME Dizzy/sweaty/tired/unable to function
Lost no weight- maintained

3. PALEO 6months
Maintained at first, then gained 10lbs
felt hungry most of the time

4. CALORIE RESTRICTION 1500CALS/DAY 3months
VERY low energy/couldnt function/dizzy
Lost no weight

5. "EATING CLEAN"/MEDITERRANEAN DIET (no processed foods/whole foods/no flour)
Gained 5lbs
Felt ok, NOT good
Tired

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Print this thread out and take it to an endocrinologist.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would agree with above post that you should mention all these things to DR.....don't really think MFP is place to get this kind of advice...IMO
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't even read it all. Go to your doctor.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure even a doctor could make sense of all this information, but it's a good place to start.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Print this thread out and take it to an endocrinologist.

***THIS!!!! You might have a thyroid problem or some other internal issue. Go see your doctor and give them all the info you posted here.
  • 6Sarah4
    6Sarah4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have a thyroid problem, you should get a blood test done. Your thyroid controls almost everything in the body and makes sure everything is balanced, if it is not working properly you could gain weight, have little energy, perhaps feel extremes of hot and cold at times, your appetite will probably be affected as well.
    If you ask you local doctor to check your thyroid, he can tell you if you have a problem and/or if you will have one in the future.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Thx I have an appt w an endocronolgist in a few weeks.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like hypothyroidism. doc can check, good luck!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You need an appointment not only with an endocrinologist but also a nutritionist. What's healthy for one person isn't what's healthy for the next, and especially as you age your metabolism slows. It sounds like your metabolism has done some crazy fluctuating, especially with the 36 hour fasting...hope you figure everything out!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Or You are Pregnant???
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had some of your symptoms and turns out I have insulin resistance...get checked for that.
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    while wait for an endo appt, wouldnt hurt to have your primary check for diabetes. not only fasting but also a insulin levels. definetely get checked out tho. good luck, hope you get it figured out!
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    and my thyroid is fine. Just FYI... talk to ur doc
  • uhohkerri
    uhohkerri Posts: 43
    Options
    Sounds like you may have a thyroid problem, you should get a blood test done. Your thyroid controls almost everything in the body and makes sure everything is balanced, if it is not working properly you could gain weight, have little energy, perhaps feel extremes of hot and cold at times, your appetite will probably be affected as well.
    If you ask you local doctor to check your thyroid, he can tell you if you have a problem and/or if you will have one in the future.
    u should deff go see your doc with this list i agree with this sounds like thyroid issues
  • PandaBandit19
    Options

Or You are Pregnant???

I was thinking that as well.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yea, talk to your doctor and maybe a dietician (MD before dietician!). Your GP will probably do the initial tests and then refer you based on those. Sounds like something major happened to your metabolism in a short amount of time. I'm no doctor, but I thought if you had hypothyroidism, your metabolism slows, and you could eat a fairly restrictive diet without the dizziness, constant hunger, etc. Again, I'm no doctor-- I'd def have it looked into!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    1. Run your numbers here:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

(I did a cursory for you and the results show that you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1874-2113 calories based on a light to moderate activity range if you want to be at a goal weight of 125 lbs; i.e. this is the caloric range in which you should have eaten at 125 lbs rather than 1200 calories, which is almost 400 calories below your estimated BMR of 1581 calories).

I think you need to eat more, quite frankly, and that all those super-low calorie years you were subjecting your body to are catching up with you now. You may gain further before things level off again and/or begin to go down.

If you're hungry at 1700, then go higher. I think your body is just hungry for fuel/food and maybe you should listen to it. That's just my personal opinion though and I'm not a doctor or nutritionist.

2. You didn't mention any medications/hormones you were taking, if any. Those can definitely mess with weight loss/gain in interesting and unexpected ways.

3. Agree with you printing out your history to take to your doctors appointment, and keep that appointment.

4. Also agree with you seeing a nutritionist and coming up with an eating plan that's realistic and healthy for you.

5. You're in your low 30s? Are you doing any kind of strength training? If you're not, then I'd encourage you to start. Many women who have been doing the low calorie/lots of cardio lifestyle find their weight shooting up in unexpected ways, and the only way to bring it back in check is to incorporate strength training and to eat more calories (there is a group here called "Eat, Train, Progress" that I'd highly recommend you check out, also another group called "Eat More to Weigh Less".

6. I'm certainly not against intermittent fasting, but definitely not at the expense of adequate nutritional intake.

Good luck! I feel for you and am sorry that this is so frustrating for you. I hope you come out at the other end of this renewed, healthy and armed with knowledge that will sustain you for many years to come. :flowerforyou:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I would agree with above post that you should mention all these things to DR.....don't really think MFP is place to get this kind of advice...IMO

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's right..OMG
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I'm so sorry, but it does sound like you need to see a doctor.
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    welcome to middle age:wink: