Few questions about cardio (sorry for the long post)

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to this site. I found it by googling questions and it kept coming back to this site. Anyhow... I have a few questions...

I'm 25, 5'2, and around 114lbs. I've always been extremely active in life riding racehorses, show horses, being outside, hiking, gym classes, cross-fit, yoga, etc. etc. However in the past year I've taking on more of a housewife role and sadly no longer ride horses. I took a few months off working out and went to culinary school (not good for the waist line! haha) and I've actually liked the way my body has changed. I've lost a lot of muscle in the legs and especially the arms which is ok with me but I've also gotten a little softer then I want to be.

I've recently decided to find a new fitness regimen that works for me in my new life. I would love to maintain a weight at 100-105 (although I'm not set on a weight if I like the way my body looks) which is the weight I used to be at before I started gaining a lot of muscle. I'm HUGE into eating well and my diet is better then most so thats not the issue. I know I'm going to have to do a lot of cardio and I guess thats where I'm lost a bit. I've never been a great runner and even when I've really tried a 4 mile run was pretty diffucult for me. I keep hearing over and over its really the only way I'll ever stay at a healthy weight. I've been running again the past week and half and at the gym I can easily run 2-2.5 miles and outside more like 2.

It seems like no matter what I do I can't get past a 3 mile run comfortably. I'm healthy and fully capable so whats holding me back? Should I start trying to run twice a day, am/pm, for 30-45 min each to hopefully build myself up to run longer runs? Ideally I would like to be able to run for 5 miles, 50 min a day 4-6 days a week. (or some shorter runs mixed in there) I also go to spin once a week or so and I also do a barre/pilates/yoga class twice a week or more. Also is there any benfit or issues with running outside in the cold? It started snowing on my run this morning (I thought it was spring!?) and it got me wondring if running in the cold was harder on the body or eaiser. Anyhow, any info would be great! Thank You!

Replies

• RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is holding you back from running longer? Is it muscle fatigue, or not getting enough air, or something else? What bothers you at the end of your runs that makes you feel like you can't run longer? Have you tried running with music? It could be simple boredom that is making your runs feel so difficult and if you get some good music maybe you will be able to push through longer. It sounds like you don't have a lot of excess fat, so if you don't have asthma or joint problems I don't see why you shouldn't be able to run more than 2 miles. In some cases it is simply building up muscle stamina. I suggest trying to run with music, maybe signing up for a race to give yourself that extra motivation.

You did say that "everyone" tells you that running is the only way to stay at a healthy weight and this is totally untrue. I personally love running, and would never discourage anyone from doing it, but if you really don't like it, there are other options. Many people maintain a healthy weight without running. Group exercise classes like step and zumba, the stairmaster, team sports, etc, are all good options for cardio if you hate running.
  • ChelsDP
    ChelsDP Posts: 7
    Options
    I do run with music, and I do get bored. In fact, boredom might be a lot of the problem. Signing up for a race might be something that would help, I'm extremely competitive so that could give me the extra push. I think thats why a spin class works so well for me, once I'm in there with the others I push through no matter how tough it is. I have had a ton of broken bones and other injuries. (broken pelvis, collarbone, elbow, ankle, minor fracture in shin, torn ligaments, a few dislocations.) So I suppose I should factor those in as well, although they have never stopped me from doing anything before. I just wish I could love running too! Thanks for the reply! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are probably running too hard for your running fitness level right now. Keep you HR while running below 155. That will build aerobic fitness most effectively and will allow you to run longer. If that is slow right now don't worry about it. It will get faster as fitness improves.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance runner and I agree with the other poster who suggested you are running at too high of a pace. Slow yourself down. You don't have to sprint the whole time. Just run at a comfortable pace where you can easily hold a conversation with someone. Try increasing the amount by 10% weekly but no more than that!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Hire yourself a trainer...best motivator ever!!!
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Find a running partner. When I run with my boyfriend I can run for longer distances and faster than I normally can.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you considered weight training instead? It takes less time and will keep your body strong and compact. (small but not soft). Just a suggestion.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so is the TL:DR version of the OP, "Please give me tips on how to run further?"

If so, the answer is pretty simple. Run further. Perhaps you can't go from 3 miles to 5 miles, but you can probably go 3.5 miles. And next week (or next run) you can go 3.75 miles. And then run 4 miles. 4.2 miles. 4.5 miles.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    What is it that's stopping you? Your legs? Your breathing?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Finish every 3 mile run with a 4 minute Tabata session.

Sprint 20 seconds at max exertion, rest 10 seconds for 8 reps.

Do that for a couple weeks and then just run and see how far you can go.

Best thing I ever did for my mile time was tabata and trail running.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on how you came to the conclusion that "you have to do a lot of cardio". Sounds like your goal is to look good and be active. Cardio is arguably optional.
  • ChelsDP
    Options
    I think I get tired and out of breath... but then when I'm in a spin class or doing some other type of class I naturally push myself much harder then I do on my own. I wish I could get as good of a workout at home running as I do at say a spin class.

I do run further and longer when I run with my husband!

I've done things like cross-fit and while its fun it's not something I want to do all the time. I prefer a more feminine look. And most of the girls that do cross-fit are really buff! Which is great for some people.

Tabatha is a good idea, I've actually been told that before but had forgotten about it!

I don't have a HR monitor yet but I was thinking about getting one. I'm curious to see what I'm running at.

Thanks for the replies!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think I get tired and out of breath... but then when I'm in a spin class or doing some other type of class I naturally push myself much harder then I do on my own. I wish I could get as good of a workout at home running as I do at say a spin class.

I've done things like cross-fit and while its fun it's not something I want to do all the time. I prefer a more feminine look. And most of the girls that do cross-fit are really buff! Which is great for some people.

Tabatha is a good idea, I've actually been told that before but had forgotten about it!

I don't have a HR monitor yet but I was thinking about getting one. I'm curious to see what I'm running at.

Thanks for the replies!

If you don't care about keeping the muscles you have, and all you want to be is skinny and flabby, then all you need to do is eat less. You really don't even need to do any cardio at all, though it's fine to do it for health reasons. And the type of cardio you do makes zero difference.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies!

If you don't care about keeping the muscles you have, and all you want to be is skinny and flabby, then all you need to do is eat less. You really don't even need to do any cardio at all, though it's fine to do it for health reasons. And the type of cardio you do makes zero difference.

I could have sworn I heard you arguing that people have to do cardio or they gonna die. Hmmmm....

Either way, do you have some links to support this? Sounds brosciencey
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I could have sworn I heard you arguing that people have to do cardio or they gonna die. Hmmmm....

You shouldn't swear.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies!

tumblr_ljh8z1yRre1qcn9fzo1_500.gif
  • ChelsDP
    Options
    skinny and flabby? lol. When and where did I say I that I want to be "skinny and flabby"? What I said is I don't need to be a body builder. I don't need a ripped 6-pack. I personally prefer a look of long and lean. I'm asking about how to get in long health benefiting cardio sessions to improve my body and health. If you're going to be all weird and negative go somewhere else. Thanks.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like your problem is more motivation than anything else. You have to really WANT to run longer in order to be able to do so. It sounds like you've already made up in your mind that 3 miles is it. If you do want to run more then you have to first change your mindset. Finding a partner is great, as is setting manageable goals and rewarding yourself when you meet them.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    im confused on why you think you need to do all that cardio in the first place
  • jonnythan
    Options
    skinny and flabby? lol. When and where did I say I that I want to be "skinny and flabby"?

You seem to be doing literally everything you can to strip your body of lean mass. Lean mass is what gives you definition. It's what makes butts perky, what makes thighs look firm, etc.

Tons of cardio plus a calorie deficit plus no strength training is literally the perfect formula to destroy as much lean mass as possible while preserving as much fat mass as possible.

So I figure that's what you're going for.
    I personally prefer a look of long and lean.

Frankly, the only way you'll get lean doing a lot of cardio and no strength training is to become dangerously underweight.

You've already said "I've also gotten a little softer then I want to be." How do you think that happened? It happened because you gave up all the strength-intensive things you used to do like Crossfit and horseback riding and yoga. You'll never get that "lean" look back by running all day.