Getting Out of the Starvation Mode

Options
So, we all know that when we consume too few calories our bodies go into starvation mode and stores fat and makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. So how do you get out of that stage, if you are unfortunate enough to get into it. Do you have to up your calorie intake, and if so, slowly or quickly? Does this mean you'll put on weight in the short term but lose more in the long term? Or should you maintain your calorie intake and exercise more to lose that weight you want?

I have a horrible feeling i may be approaching that mode, and i want to get away from it quick!

Replies

• HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help but would really like to know too, as I'm not sure I'm eating enough
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    That's not really how the body works.

What people commonly refer to as 'starvation mode' is a very slight adaptation in basal metabolic rate (studies on people being starved for 6 months who were already lean showed 10%) there are some differences in how much this happens mostly based on genetics but it will never be large enough for your body to store fat at a deficit and rarely large enough to negate whatever deficit you started with. And 10% (assuming you started actually lean and were actually, literally starving) for most people would be 130-250 calories.

A more concerning component is the loss of lean body mass. This happens when your body doesn't get enough protein and starts using the protein found in muscles and organs. Whether this happens can depend on a variety of factors including protein intake, level of activity etc... Loss of lean body mass will also decrease your basal metabolic rate (muscle is metabolically expensive). Strength training and adequate protein limits this loss.

If you want to up your calories, you can do it all at once or 100-200 calories per day for a few weeks until you reach the calorie level you want. I think there have been people on here who have done both successfully.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That's not really how the body works.

What people commonly refer to as 'starvation mode' is a very slight adaptation in basal metabolic rate (studies on people being starved for 6 months who were already lean showed 10%) there are some differences in how much this happens mostly based on genetics but it will never be large enough for your body to store fat at a deficit and rarely large enough to negate whatever deficit you started with. And 10% (assuming you started actually lean and were actually, literally starving) for most people would be 130-250 calories.

A more concerning component is the loss of lean body mass. This happens when your body doesn't get enough protein and starts using the protein found in muscles and organs. Whether this happens can depend on a variety of factors including protein intake, level of activity etc... Loss of lean body mass will also decrease your basal metabolic rate (muscle is metabolically expensive). Strength training and adequate protein limits this loss.

If you want to up your calories, you can do it all at once or 100-200 calories per day for a few weeks until you reach the calorie level you want. I think there have been people on here who have done both successfully.

This x100000000

There is no starvation mode. If you want to lose more weight, increase your deficit. If you want to lose mostly fat eat enough protein and lift heavy weights.

/ thread
  • callmehoots
    callmehoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm no professional, but my suggestion is read the labels! Eat foods you can know the nutrition facts for, and use the food tracker here to determine where you're at. If you think you're not eating enough, I would think you could at least try to incorporate a good healthy nutrient rich shake or bar during the day to up your intake. Be diligent about making a food journal and get as close to the number of calories/carbs/proteins as needed every day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    So, we all know that when we consume too few calories our bodies go into starvation mode and stores fat and makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. So how do you get out of that stage, if you are unfortunate enough to get into it. Do you have to up your calorie intake, and if so, slowly or quickly? Does this mean you'll put on weight in the short term but lose more in the long term? Or should you maintain your calorie intake and exercise more to lose that weight you want?

I have a horrible feeling i may be approaching that mode, and i want to get away from it quick!

Have you been eating less than 500 calories for months? Are you less than 5% body fat? If not you're not in starvation mode, you're just undereating which means you're more likely just malnourished with a minor metabolic slow down. Solution is to eat above your BMR and will the world end if you do gain a couple pounds when you up your calories?