first time at the gym

vicsteroo
vicsteroo Posts: 20
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Monday I wil be going to the gym for a weeks trial, wish me luck I may need it as haven't been since I was about 15.
I also bought myself the wii fit plus yesterday so will be using that to hopefully aid my weightloss. :)

Replies

• butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    you can do it..start off slow and see how you do and before you know it you will be the fastest one in there...:bigsmile:
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Good luck in the gym !!!! I so want to join a gym but just can't afford it. I do have the Wii fit though and I just love it. I figured out how to set it to tell me when I have reached a goal of 240 calories a day - and I consider that my minimum. takes about an hour to burn that much depending on what you play - but I have my favorites that I keep going into. Love to challenge myself on it!!! Have fun !!!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    Congrats! My advise to you is to not go too hard on monday when you go! Start out slow and build your way up so that you don't get injured and you want to go back! I love my gym!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Good luck at the gym!! I miss mine so much... (it's 900 miles away ...) Once you find the time that works for you to go to the gym every (most, whatever) day, try to stick to it. It's much less intimidating for the same 5 or 50 or 500 people watching you sweat and moan through the hard stuff, and they get really encouraging, especially once you get to know them all. If you stick with it through the hard stuff, after awhile it'll become as routine as going to get the mail or whatever is that consistent a part of your life.

Congrats!! :happy:
  • I just had my first week at the gym. I am starting out slow. The first time I stayed about 30 minutes and each day I have added on a little time to explore new machines and to burn a little more calories. I took a rest day also.
  • Congrats on going to the gym!! It can be intimidating but you just need to remember it will all pay off in the end and most of the people are there for the same reason!! Also ask the staff to show you how to use the equipment if you don't know how to use them. I didn't at first and felt like a fool when I tried to use them. lol
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Hi,
    A while and over 90lbs ago I found the thought of joining a gym terrifying. I hadn't ever been sporty and just felt so out of my depth. These are the things/ways of changing my thinking that have helped me. Some of them sound silly after reading back so humour me...
    1. Telling myself that most people were there for the same reasons as me - they may have been further down the road, but basically they all wanted to be fit, healthy and look better.
    2. Telling myself that however long and hard my little road to achieving fitness was, everyday I got myself there I was getting closer.
    3. I take/took good advice from qualified people and set realistic goals which mean my fitness and strength have built up steadily and I haven't hurt myself! Everyone has an opinion but not everyone is right, so seek out good people.
    4. My Dad always taught us as kids, that if we felt intimidated or afraid in situations with other people, to look them in the eye and smile and when they smiled back we would realise that MOST people are not scary or nasty or thinking bad things about you. I absolutely forced myself to do this, believing at first that every fit looking person was staring at me thinking 'what is she doing here?' People always smile back and I even chat away to some of them, if they don't chances are they were feeling even worse than I was.
    5. If I had a wobbly day, and throught 'this isn't me' I'd tell myself that this was me, I was a healthy, exercising person and I was making a deliberate choice to be there and do it. That stopped me moaning and wimping out.
    6. Make sure you eat well and drink plenty of water generally, wear a good sports bra, comfortable workout gear etc all this sounds simple but helps so much.
    7. As others have said keep a good balance of personal challenge and taking it slowly.

I am excited for you, please get in touch if you need any encouragement - I'm not an expert but have done a 360 degree turn in attitude to this area of life. I love love LOVE the gym now and fitness is even part of my social life. Being fit means a lot to me and I love the way my body feels and the things it now lets me do. Sorry I am over the top but just GO FOR IT!!!!

Best Wishes and I am sure you won't need luck, you'll do just fine!!
    Gail
  • WindHauler
    WindHauler Posts: 35
    I just got finished with my 5 day pass to a gym nearby yesterday actually. I just signed up for two months, and will continue to buy a membership cause I love it. It has a steam room, showers, spa, sauna, and over 3+ million dollars worth of equipment. 85+ classes, free locker and towel service and it's all included in the price. I won't say how much it is a month, but it's probably 3X the price of a regular gym. It has a basketball court, all the latest equipment with XM Radio and HD T.Vs on every cardio machine. Theres plasma T.Vs all around aswell. Did I say there is a theatre too? Theres childcare, tennis court, big pool aswell. It has everything, and I mean everything you need. Whether its zumba, yogo, you name it. Theres even a chiropractic, a doctor, massages, and everything. It's own store. Now you know why I fell in love. I'm not sure if the gym you are going to has all of this, but atleast it has everything you need to lose weight. I wish you best of luck. I was a bit concerned at first, but this gym is superb. Everyone is doing there own thing, and it's not crowded. Good luck!

I am a broke college kid, but with all the extra, it motivates me to even go. I can't wait to hear from you and tell me how it went. I'll add you as a friend if that's okay?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    That's great! So many people on MFP have used the Wii Fit and have gotten great results so I know you'll love it and have success with it! :happy: Tips for the gym:

- Hydrate before, during, and after.
    - Start small...if you have to just walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes, do it. Increase your time everytime you go until you feel you can increase your speed.
    - The elliptical isn't as scary as it looks. It's a GREAT workout. It's low impact so if you have bad knees or other joints, this is great for you!
    - Don't wear something baggy. I've always found it's easier to work out in something a little bit form fitting (and more form fitting as I've lost weight & gained confidence!)... I've found baggy clothes make you more hot.
  • vicsteroo
    Thank you everyone for the kind workds of encouragement and advice I will be sure to let you all know how I get on.
    Have to say I am really looking forward to it and surprisingly I'm not to feeling self concious or worried of other peoples opinion of me, I am who I am if they dont like the way I look they can just ook the other way, there is no way anyone is going to put me off or make me feel bad :). Monday can't come soon enough but at least till then I have my wii :)
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Great attitude!! keep it and you will reach your goals!!!
    My only suggestion is to get assistance as soon as you walk in the door! Number one that is what they are getting paid for and number two you will need it to succeed in reaching your goals in a safe and progressive manner! I wish you the best and yes post back on your daily regime!!!!!
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Good luck!

We got passes to our local YMCA chapter and we've only gone once but I plan to go on my days off, monday/wednesday/friday every week to help aid with my weight loss. I'm really shy around people is my problem, especially when everyone is further ahead in their strength and weight loss than me but then I realize that everyone started somewhere.

I wish you luck.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Monday I wil be going to the gym for a weeks trial, wish me luck I may need it as haven't been since I was about 15.
    I also bought myself the wii fit plus yesterday so will be using that to hopefully aid my weightloss. :)

Good luck at the gym! :flowerforyou:
  • WindHauler
    WindHauler Posts: 35
    vicsteroo it's Monday! You msut be so excited! Yay! Good luck!
  • vicsteroo
    What can I say but WOW.
    I had a fab time at the gym today managed far more than i thought possible I sweated buckets but managed to keep my breathing going and didn't once need to use my inhaler (I'm asthmatic).
    I am going again tomorrow and may possibly have a swim aswell while I am there.

Thanks again everyoine for the kind words.:happy:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Well done,and glad you enjoyed it! Breathing always sounds so easy,but its hard to find the right way when youre really exerting,I stick to deep,pilates style breaths most of the time,and find it really helps :)
This discussion has been closed.