Runners and lifters, advice please!

Options
I just finished the couch to 5k program and can comfortably run for 35 minutes. I know they say not to, but I did the program in 4.5 weeks instead of 9. Now the running has kind of become like therapy for me and I love it, but if I take a day off it is much easier for me to do the longer distances. I don't want to hurt myself, but I really love it and I guess I am wondering if i am asking for trouble by running every day. Will it become easier if I do run every day, or will I always be fighting be cause my body wants a day off? My other question is that I've researched all these different running training programs and they say one day, do this, one day do that....' what is your weekly training routine? And how many times/week do you lift weights? Currently I am running 3 miles, walking at an incline for 2 miles to finish out an hour of cardio and lifting 4 days/week.

My workouts have become my most favorite part of the day now.... I have all this conflicting stuff going on in my head.... I need the time because as a single mom it is the only time I get to myself, but I don't want to overdo it either. Please help!

Replies

• LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    My schedule will change depending on if I am training for a race.

Non race- Boot camp/strength training 2-3 days per week
    running- mixture of short/long/tempo runs 3 days per week

Racing schedule- Boot camp Monday
    Running Tues-Thurs.
    Friday -off
    Saturday/Sunday- Long run one day other day off.

Strength training believe it or not will help with your running. It will make you stronger and faster. It will also help prevent injury since you are using different muscles. I would never completely give up strength training to just concentrate on running, even though your strength training schedule may have to be toned down if you want to train for a race, especially a long distance one.

Hope that helps-
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the love of running! The rule of thumb with running is not to increase your distance by more than 10% per week. So if you ran 6 miles total last week, you could run about 6.5 next week. Maybe 7.5 the week after that. One reason people get injured is that they do too much too soon. Ease into it. What is your goal with running? Do you want to increase the distance you can run at a time? Do you just want to cover 3-5 miles at a time several days a week? Do you want to train for races? I would definitely not run every single day. I'm training for spring half marathons and I run 5 days a week (Tues is an easy 4-5 mile run, Wednesday and Friday are speed work and generally 4-7 miles, Saturday is an easy 3 miles, and Sunday is a long run of 10-15 miles with Mon/Thurs being rest days for a total of 30-35 miles a week).

If you want to train for a specific distance, check out Hal Higdon's plans (free on his website). It will work you up to a 10k, half marathon, etc. at a safe pace.
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to joke to myself when I did a lot more heavy lifting that days off are for the weak... Now I look at it as an opportunity for my body to get stronger.

What I've done in the past is to make sure that I'm not overtaxing any particular muscle group. Therefore, days off from running can mean more lifting, etc.

I've really enjoyed triathlon training for the multi-sport aspect. I get bored training easily if I don't change it up, so doing 3 days a week of swimming, 2 running, 2 biking, is great for me, I get all the cardio/ muscle/ weight loss benefits, and I can usually tackle whatever workout I want and always push myself. However, after a couple weeks, I still took a day off.

Biggest key, stretch. stretch, stretch. You will be able to go out each time and do almost what you want if you stretch, and at least go lighter on days after hard runs/ lifts/ etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some people can run daily without issue, some can't. If you do choose to run daily or almost daily, keep the runs short & easy for a while. A pretty common approach is keeping weekday runs shorter, then do a longer run once a week. If you aren't training for a race or a specific goal, you can just run nice & easy every time you are out, whether it's 3x or 6x a week. See how your body responds, back off if you are wearing down.

I would see no issue right now running 3-4x a week, and lifting 3-4x a week.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice so far. Just to answer your questions.... my goal is to lose weight, be fit and eventually become e a triathlete. I think alternating the biking/swimming in there might be a good solution. I guess I am just fearful that if I don't run I will lose the progress I've made.

Lifting has actually become a great priority for me, since I can already see some changes in my body from it. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to without getting injured. Thanks for the advice, please send me a friend request if you're interested !!!!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't stop running altogether and you'll be fine!:)
  • thepaul500
    Options
    If you really want to become a triathlete, no need to lift that much. Just swim, bike, and/or run everyday! (half joking, half seriously) Large muscles are not an endurance athletes friend.

I generally run every single day, with about 3 days per week being two runs per day (in addition to swimming and biking). You need to be really in tune with your body, something that just comes with experience, to run every single day. You can almost "feel" an injury coming on if you're pushing too hard, and thats when its time for a rest day.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you really want to become a triathlete, no need to lift that much. Just swim, bike, and/or run everyday! (half joking, half seriously) Large muscles are not an endurance athletes friend.

I generally run every single day, with about 3 days per week being two runs per day (in addition to swimming and biking). You need to be really in tune with your body, something that just comes with experience, to run every single day. You can almost "feel" an injury coming on if you're pushing too hard, and thats when its time for a rest day.

^^ good advice. I'm working toward a half marathon, so I currently lift M/W/F, short (4.5m this week) runs on T/Th, long run on Sat. Once I'm done with the half training, I'm going to back off on the running, probably down to 2xweek, and thinking about picking up some sort of class, maybe like a bootcamp type workout.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've found that if I'm running distances and intensities that enable me to run every day without a day off, I won't get any faster or improve at all - I'm not pushing myself enough. In fact, I'm not doing myself the good that I could be doing, even if I'm not training up for a race (running is my therapy too). But technically for aerobic work, no rest is needed. Rest is needed for high impact work (running) whether aerobic or anaerobic, because the stresses on the muscles, bones, and joints do damage that needs to heal - not macroscopic damage, but enough that rest is needed.

If I run enough, or high enough quality runs (real speed work, tempo runs, sprints, hill work, proper distances etc), I *NEED* that day off, and my body will get it, by shutting down if it has to (I will get sick or injured). This is due to the combination of impact work and anaerobic work.

I try to run in a sweet spot - hard enough, often enough that I need a rest day, but not so hard and often that I have trouble recovering even with rest. I do not claim to be good at succeeding - I'm currently nursing a stress fracture due to my own personal version of overtraining - but I believe there is merit in my efforts at trying to find that balance.

For strength work, building muscle, keep in mind that "rest" is a non-damaging day, a non-lifting day (not a non-running day). Sprint or hill work can mimic lifting in stressing leg muscles, so use caution there. But the actual strength growth is accomplished in rest from lifting.

However, rest, even from running, doesn't mean that you can't have an hour of an independent physical activity to clear your head. I swim on my "rest" days - it's zero impact, low resistance, and lap/stroke counting is incredibly meditative. I'll also bike on rails-to-trails (flat, easy, pretty), or do yoga (to rest from running, but some forms will count as strength). Things that I've done on rest days that were mistakes - splitting wood, using an old fashioned push mower to do our lawn and the little old lady next door's, using a floor sander, rock climbing, and playing a "friendly" game of Ultimate frisbee. Those were adequately punishing that I had to take another rest day, but I learned: "rest" to me has to be aerobic and no-impact.

Welcome to running, and good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I thought running every day was what "real" runners did when I started running almost 2 years ago. I went out on lunch every day and at least once on the weekend to knock off the miles. And, of course, I found myself plagued with injury right before my first half marathon. Since then, I've seen a sports medicine doc, and his advice was to run 3 targeted runs a week. . .occasionally 4 days a week and cross train the other days. I Lift & do cardio M/W, Lift only F, run 4-4.5 mile T/Th & long run on Suday. Saturday is hit or miss. Sometimes I get a cardio video in, some times I rest.

I began to view running as a "reward" and a "treat" instead of an obligation when I dialed back the days. Now, I'm chomping at the bit for my running days and sad when I have to skip them (like today. . .nursing a bad shin).

Enjoy the running bug. It IS addicting!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I had the trouble of trying to lift and run at the same time (I would weight lift and run on the same days) and found it was too difficult for me on top of trying to strength train at the same time (my version of over training). Right now, while I still run, I have had to start trying to figure out when to add everything else back in, along with my ballet because I have a ballet audition next month and a week after that I have my first 5k of 2013 (I ran 5 last year).

I will admit, I have had ankle sprains (had one last week from overworking it) and am easing back in this week, but eventually would love to run a half marathon next year (have the novice 1 from hal higdeon and the first week I was sore I could barely walk so stopped training, thinking I will try to do it during the summer). Right now though, just aiming one to finish the races in under 30 minutes and two be able to run a 10k sometime this year.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm currently alternating running days and lifting days with one rest day per week. I make some of my longest distances and fastest times after my rest day. Give your body a chance to recover. As long as you're running 2-3 times a week, you won't lose any progress, and you'll probably find you progress faster.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I do running 4 times a week, other cardio 3 times a week and strength training 3 times a week with 2 days off a week. This is a typical week:

Monday - 60 minutes strength, 45 minutes stationary bike and 4 miles running.
    Tuesday - OFF
    Wednesday - 3 miles running
    Thursday - OFF
    Friday - 30 minutes strength, 30 minutes stationary bike
    Saturday - long run
    Sunday - 30 minutes strength, 45 minutes stationary bike, 4 miles running

The miles running vary depending on how close to a race I am. Right now my next planned "big" race is a Half in December with lots of 10ks and less in between so mileage right now is low, but the 4 days of running a week stays the same. Sometimes I also throw in a mile on the stairmaster if I have the time.

I do think the off days are important. If you are really restless a nice comfortable walk might be all right, but don't push it. Your body does need the rest.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days a week, tuesday, thursday, and saturday for 3-5 miles I have bad knees and if I do more, my knees hurt for days, and same with my left hip. then I do p90x strengeth workouts wednsday, friday, and sunday, and sometimes monday if my body doesnt feel like it needs a break.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My workouts have become my most favorite part of the day now.... I have all this conflicting stuff going on in my head.... I need the time because as a single mom it is the only time I get to myself, but I don't want to overdo it either. Please help!

I run every morning on the week days at least a 5k, do one extra 5k in those at night when I am up for it.
    Run 10k's give or take 1/2 mile depending on my mood on Sat and Sun.
    Lift 3 days a week.
    Bike every day when roads aren't icey.
    Play hockey once a week.
    Baseball 1 or 2 times a week.
    Might switch in some one hour hill repeats in exchange for the 5ks when I want to push it hard.

Running is the most challenging for me because of my build and I deal with a joint disease. I'm a single dad and I always look forward to my running for the mind cleanse.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm currently building myself to be able to run a 5K. I'm not using C25K, but an "advanced" training plan I found on the website of a local race since I was regularly running a mile or a little more 3 times a week.

Monday: Strength training (Madcow's 5x5: Squats, Bench, Bent Over Rows, 5 sets of 5 with weight progression), after some HIIT or I walk or do some kcikboxing, depending on how I'm feeling. I try to do yoga or stretch as well.
    Tuesday: Running day, I do whatever the plan tells me, after I do a core workout and some stretching.
    Wednesday: Strength (Squat, miliatry press, deadlift, 4x5), HIIT or a walk or whatever, yoga/stretching
    Thursday: Run, core, stretch - Thursday evenings my kids have gymnastics. There's a workout room that overlooks part of the gym, and I typically do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical, the treadmill (walking with incline) if it's not, while they're in class.
    Friday: Same as Monday
    Saturday: Run as prescribed
    Sunday: A lighter/shorter run, but only if I feel I can handle it.

I don't know how my body will handle this schedule once I move beyond the 1.5-1.75 miles I'm doing now. My 1.5 miles this morning was a bit hard, I'll probably take it easier than normal on the elliptcal tonight. I also only walked yesterday after lifting, intensity did not appeal to me at all!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of any advice that someone hasn't said already. I have been running for 15 years and I guess in the last 3 or 4 years I was running 5-6 times a week and it finally caught up with me. I find myself fatigued easily and now I suffer from piriformis syndrome (basically a pain in my *kitten*) from not stretching EVER. Just listen to your body and STRETCH a lot.
    I have started to work in the elliptical during the week instead of my daily 3-4 mile runs... and I find that I can still run 6-9 miles on the weekends without a problem. Welcome to this fantastic addiction!
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    I thought running every day was what "real" runners did when I started running almost 2 years ago. I went out on lunch every day and at least once on the weekend to knock off the miles. And, of course, I found myself plagued with injury right before my first half marathon. Since then, I've seen a sports medicine doc, and his advice was to run 3 targeted runs a week. . .occasionally 4 days a week and cross train the other days. I Lift & do cardio M/W, Lift only F, run 4-4.5 mile T/Th & long run on Suday. Saturday is hit or miss. Sometimes I get a cardio video in, some times I rest.

I began to view running as a "reward" and a "treat" instead of an obligation when I dialed back the days. Now, I'm chomping at the bit for my running days and sad when I have to skip them (like today. . .nursing a bad shin).

^^this^^

sooooo true. i was an avid runner for YEARS. it was my therapy too. even on my rest days, if i had a bad day i would go for a 10-15mile run. BAD idea. your body knows its limits. your muscles need to heal and rest up. too much at one time and you are asking for trouble. be aware of your body and don't push your limits to the extreme... i agree with the 10% a week method. you aren't going to lose your progress as long as you have a healthy mix of cardio and strength in your weekly regiment.
  • blackermagic
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you. If you aren't feeling tired after running a 5k, then increase your distance. I haven't bought into any limitations or only increase your running by X%. Run until you are tired.

I run 5 to 6 times a week if my travel schedule allows for it. Each run is somewhere between 6-8 miles. Some days i will run twice...like this past Monday I ran 7.25mi in the morning and 3.5mi that night. 2 weeks ago I ended up running 13.1 miles when I really went out to just run 6.2mi/10K.

I also lift 1 to 3 times a week too...although I don't do legs. I figure they get enough pounding on my runs!

Good Luck!!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options

This is EXACTLY the right advice. Running every day, unless is short as in 2 miles or less, is injury time.