Has anyone tried yin yoga?

Options
I'll be honest, I am in terrible physical shape right now. I used to be pretty active, but ever since I got a desk job that activity has gone right out the window. I know there's no excuse for it, but at the moment my muscles are so tight (particularly in my legs) that I can't even touch my toes easily. I read about how Yin Yoga is slower than regular hatha yoga, because it works the ligaments and joints (where I also have difficulties), and I was curious as to whether anyone here has tried it. If so, does it work? How does it make you feel? I'm really nervous about joining a yoga class because I've never done yoga, and I'm afraid of looking really stupid or getting lost in the shuffle of students, you know?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Most studios offer your first class for free. Go try it, you have nothing to lose. In fact, try a couple of different styles of yoga and see what resonates with you. You'll see some studios with 40 people in the class, some with 5 people. You'll see a teacher that "leads" the class (meaning he/she stands in front and does the postures) and others where the teacher doesn't seem to do many of the postures.

Most studios also offer a beginners class or series. If it's a series, try one class first before putting too much money down.

All yoga styles with help with flexibility. I would say 70% of the people that come to their first yoga class cannot touch their toes.

Hope that helps.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the super late response... I just started doing Yin Yoga with a DVD - Deep Stretch Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire. I really enjoy it. I've done the full 60 minutes 3 times now. I see improvement already, although I have a long ay to go. I like to do the yoga two or three times a week in between cardio sessions. It's gives me a "rest" day when I'm still active. I burn about 300 calories in a hour. It's not a ton, but it is better than nothing. I also enjoy the reflection and introspection it gives me. I totally believe that once I'm in better shape, I'll equipped to handle hatha yoga having done this DVD. I think it's great for beginners. Besides... doing it at home I don't have to be embarrased by my limitations!