More sodium

Options
Hi,

Im new to MFP and to the whole healthy eating thing but I have been completing my food diary daily but i always seem to be under on my Sodium by atleast 1000? I've
been looking around online and on some of the forums but cant seem to find anything that will take it up?
Is it important to watch the sodium on not?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I do low sodium by choice, I love not retaining any water weight..:smile:
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Being under your sodium is good! Think of the sodium amount as a limit instead of a goal like your calories, protein, etc. You don't want to consume huge amounts of sodium as it will cause you to retain water... which means an increase on the scale or causing you to stay the same masking fat loss.
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow - what foods are you eating? I eat extremely healthy and I still have problems with too much sodium.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It is tough to be consistently under the sodium level especially if you eat out! As long as you are getting 1000mg on average or more per day you are probably just fine most of us are striving to be under the 2500mg level daily and its not always easPr
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I believe the default sodium setting on MFP is quite high (2500mg). Newer guidelines suggest 1500mg. You do need sodium, but are unlikely to be low enough to worry about it.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    AHA recommends no more than 2300mg of sodium per day. Sodium is important for the body, but only in appropriate quantities. Pre packaged and frozen foods carry ridiculous amounts of sodium per serving. Your best bet is to make all of your own food and eat one-ingredient foods.

By doing this, I easily stay under 2000mg a day. I never get water weight or bloat.

Seems like you are doing well already. I wouldn't worry about it too much.