Sound off if you practice martial arts, 'cause...

Options
...I'm looking for those who do, male and female, to friend-up with. Don't care what kind. Muay Thai, karate, wrestling, boxing, jiu-jitsu, MMA-style, kickboxing, I don't care. Basically, I'm looking for information exchange on what works for you outside the ring/cage/dojo/mat concerning diet, stretching/flexibility, weights, etc. and so on. For some strange reason as I lose more weight and get in better shape, my motivation to train in MA has gone down and I'm looking for support/community/a slap upside the head when I need it. Thanks!

Replies

• ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Gangwolf, wassup brother, why you losing your motivation, whats going on in that dome of yours? lol
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    Not really sure. Maybe it's the routine, you know, three times a week. Or maybe I kinda peaked with the black belt, just a mental thing? Not having trouble exercising but having trouble getting fired up for it.
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    to be honest, i always have and always will stand by the old bruce lee adage of the fact that belts are there to hold your pants up, nothing more. Just see it as one part of a large learning curve, and more to the point, dont think oh I have a black belt, theres nothing else I can learn. enjoy the experience, mix it up, or if you STILL feel like that, start something new, develop and learn new skills and techniques and add them to your current abilities.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    Oh I agree...in fact I'd go so far as to say that in TKD at least, you don't really even START until you hit the black belt level Like my instructor says, black belt isn't an end point, it's a turning point. It's not like I was suddenly more dangerous the day after the test than I'd been the day before. Maybe I fell into the trap of putting too much emotional emphasis on getting to that point. I think maybe I'm just bored and like you say, need a mix-up...
  • fnixrebrn
    fnixrebrn Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, once I got my black belt I kinda lost the motivation to go. I'm still interested but need a kick in the butt to go to training. I still workout and feel more in shape now though. You are right, black belt is not the end it is the beginning and we have a lot more to learn. My Sensei always says "Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect."