Is breakfast still the most important meal?

Options

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine and perform fine without breakfast, and you are able to hit your calorie and nutrient targets by end of day, and your preference is to skip breakfast so that you can eat more later, then just do it.

This.
    WOW THATS WHAT I DO WHO KNEW I WAS DOING IT RIGHT ALL THIS TIME
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat when you're hungry. If you aren't hungry for breakfast, then wait until you *are* hungry.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine and perform fine without breakfast, and you are able to hit your calorie and nutrient targets by end of day, and your preference is to skip breakfast so that you can eat more later, then just do it.

This.
    WOW THATS WHAT I DO WHO KNEW I WAS DOING IT RIGHT ALL THIS TIME

That's cuz girl . . . . you cray cray! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about waffles...yes. Otherwise, meh.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, to be hoenst you can eat ALL of your calories for the day in one sitting and it won't really make a difference. Our body doesn't really know what time it is and scientifically speaking, there is no affect on metabolism when it comes to frequency, amount or timing of your food.

That being said, I prefer to have a good breaky but not always. Lately my breaky has been 700+ calories which allows me to skip my lunch. I like it this way because at work the lunch options sucks and I can get some ful (beans, oil, bread, cheese, veggies, eggs and many other goodies) and it keeps me full till I get home at around 7.PM. Then I eat like a 1000+ calories meal. Go workout. Come back and eat some ice cream and drink some milk and hit the bed. I am happy.

tl;dr: Let your body make your schedule for you. If you don't want breaky, don't have it. Just make sure you eat plenty some point of the day and don't eat too much either :)
  • indipeach
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for the info, I can definitely hit all my targets without worrying about trying to have a more balanced breakfast. I'm more hungry later in the day, as that's when I use my energy, in the morning it's rather slow paced for me, so I think that's why I'm not feeling the need for more of a boost then.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No.

Eat when you're hungry. Eat when you feel you need the energy. Eat in a way that if you need food at night because you work out in the evenings, you can have it. Meal timing is irrelevant, and the only reason people tout the power of breakfast is because there is CORRELATION (not causation!) between a large number of people eating breakfast and not overeating/feeling fuller the rest of the day.

Eating breakfast does not jump start your metabolism. Skipping breakfast does not put you into starvation mode. Eat when you want.

This goes against everything I have ever read. Are there any medical studies to back this up or is this just personal opinion? Not trying to be rude... just trying to get all of the facts.

I would ask you if you've got any relevant research that suggests that breakfast starts your metabolism. That would be the statement to prove, IMO.

But since you asked, I'll pubmed ninja a bit :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    "Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    "We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    "Resting energy expenditure increases in early starvation"

Note that I'm certainly not advocating starvation. Just pointing this out since the common myth seems to be that skipping meals slows your metabolism.
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    well, to be hoenst you can eat ALL of your calories for the day in one sitting and it won't really make a difference. Our body doesn't really know what time it is and scientifically speaking, there is no affect on metabolism when it comes to frequency, amount or timing of your food.

That being said, I prefer to have a good breaky but not always. Lately my breaky has been 700+ calories which allows me to skip my lunch. I like it this way because at work the lunch options sucks and I can get some ful (beans, oil, bread, cheese, veggies, eggs and many other goodies) and it keeps me full till I get home at around 7.PM. Then I eat like a 1000+ calories meal. Go workout. Come back and eat some ice cream and drink some milk and hit the bed. I am happy.

tl;dr: Let your body make your schedule for you. If you don't want breaky, don't have it. Just make sure you eat plenty some point of the day and don't eat too much either :)

what-is-this-sorcery.jpg
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

^^^Best answer

I can't skip breakfast. I get all loopy in the head and shaky. But all I do eat for breakfast is an egg protein shake with 32g of protein. That gets me going and holds me until lunch. I tried IF for a week and it did not fit me.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you arent a regular breakfast eater, you may not be able to tell any difference, but if, like me, you are a regular eater of the breakfast, you will notice that on days you miss breakfast, you tend to eat more starting with the second meal of the day, with a higher insulin jump following that meal.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

what-is-this-sorcery.jpg

I don't get the picture. Whatcha tryin to say?
  • Fatbirdtalking
    Options
    I struggle with breakfast and have been grabbing a cereal bar around 11am. When I previously did WW I made a point of having breakfast and lost 42lbs. My friend pointed that out to me this week and I followed her advice Bingo 3lbs this week. I'm gonna repeat my week and see what the scales say next Thursday !
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    No.

Eat when you're hungry. Eat when you feel you need the energy. Eat in a way that if you need food at night because you work out in the evenings, you can have it. Meal timing is irrelevant, and the only reason people tout the power of breakfast is because there is CORRELATION (not causation!) between a large number of people eating breakfast and not overeating/feeling fuller the rest of the day.

Eating breakfast does not jump start your metabolism. Skipping breakfast does not put you into starvation mode. Eat when you want.

This goes against everything I have ever read. Are there any medical studies to back this up or is this just personal opinion? Not trying to be rude... just trying to get all of the facts.

I would ask you if you've got any relevant research that suggests that breakfast starts your metabolism. That would be the statement to prove, IMO.

But since you asked, I'll pubmed ninja a bit :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    "Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    "We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    "Resting energy expenditure increases in early starvation"

Note that I'm certainly not advocating starvation. Just pointing this out since the common myth seems to be that skipping meals slows your metabolism.

Beat me to it.

I like this one as well, as it explains why some people tend to eat MORE if they eat breakfast: http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

And, from the opposing team, here's WebMD arguing for breakfast. If you read through it, you'll notice the study is entirely correlation: people skipped breakfast, people were hungry, people ate more. However, they offer no solid reason OTHER than this correlation as to why people should eat breakfast.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/most-important-meal
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If I don't have breakfast, I get really grouchy by mid-morning. So my husband will tell you that breakfast absolutely is the most important meal of the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is dietary fat still the reason I gained weight?

It depends. How much were you eating?
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    For me I need to eat a substantial breakfast- at least 400 cals, because I work out during lunch and don't snack in between.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I always eat within a half hour of getting up. Before I started changing my habits for the better I wouldn't eat or drink anything until I bought a starbucks mocha when I got to my desk at work – so I'd drink my calories more than two hours after getting up. When I first started eating breakfast it was a struggle. I didn't feel hungry, in fact I felt nauseated by the thought of food, but I'd force it down anyway. Now, I couldn't imagine not eating breakfast every morning. I am ravenous when I wake up.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about pancakes, biscuits and gravy, ham steak, bacon, toast with butter and jelly, omelettes, eggs of all types really, cereal, waffles, sausage, hash browns and that sort yummy delishiness...then yes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

If you're talking about a specific time of day to eat said yumminess...well, whenever you want is the answer.