BELLY DANCING ANYONE?

Options
I just recently got a nice glimpse of a belly dancing class. I was shocked by the different age levels that were in the class. Has anyone ever taken this class before? It's only 1 day a week, but at least that will give me 4 solid days of getting my butt in gear:)

Replies

• SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes - i had a go today - bought a dvd and thought "Why Not" it's fun :) Just learning the basics at the moment lol
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like belly dancing and am learning the basics. Although I don't believe I will ever be coordinated enough to be good at it, it's fun and I enjoy it.
  • TelkaS
    TelkaS Posts: 2
    Options
    Question for you...Are you ever sore the next day?
  • garryt1980
    garryt1980 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the first part covered... The dancing not so much...
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I studied for a couple of years. And yes, I was always sore the day after class.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have... Yes, it's way fun.... Yes, I have given private shows and was rewarded properly.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My mom lost weight after her first pregnancy with belly dancing. That was...huh, nearly fifty years ago. My brother is getting *old*.

I have a couple of DVDs, but the challenging ones are boring: 50 consecutive hip drops on each side? And the fun one is really short.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed belly dancing for about 4 years now. I'm 48. It's not my only workout but it's a fun addition. I think it was the style for middle aged women a few years back, before Zumba took over.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do it. I LOVE it! I am often sore after class. I also practice for about an hour a day, though. On top of my running. It has really helped me tone up my hips and midsection.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    One question.

Do they offer it for babies?
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love Belly Dancing, so much fun :) Though, I don't go to the classes, I have DVD's and do it in the privacy of my home. I've thought about going to the classes though, just to change it up.
    And yes, I'm usually sore the next day.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    I used to take classes last year and after all the fun of learning different steps which would work with so many muscles, we would have a 5 minute shimmy session which would leave my legs sore the next day. It was so much fun and made me feel sexy! >.<
  • RemiLynn79
    RemiLynn79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I bought a DVD and just did it this morning. I loved it! Even though I am not coordinated enough to follow the steps completely. I am going to keep it up!
  • Paganrosemama
    Options
    I am occasionally sore they next day if I over did it... like 45 min of belly dancing plus walking a couple miles, and around the house stuff... But I also have fibro issues to deal with...
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Question for you...Are you ever sore the next day?

I currently take classes... and yes, I tend to be sore the next day.

But knowing that you're working muscle groups that you might have not worked regularly before it's a great feeling.
  • Determined75
    Determined75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love belly dancing. It is still good exercise and yes you can loose weight. I've never taken a class but I do have a couple of DVDs. And yes I do get sore. It's a good way to build up if you are just starting your weight loss journey. Best of luck to you.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I tried a youtube belly dance workout video yesterday, but it wasn't the greatest. I don't necessarily want to learn the art of belly dance, but would love a belly dance inspired workout. Does anyone know of any GOOD online videos like that?
  • Paganrosemama
    Options
    For those of you who do belly dancing at home - What are your favorite belly dance DVD's or instructors?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I did at my heaviest, and I felt it was a great form of dance (and exercise) for heavier people! It was fairly low impact. There were a variety of ages at the class I went to (the oldest was in her 80s), but I was the fattest. I didn't lose any weight, but I felt that the class did me good mentally and physically.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been belly dancing for about a year and half. I'm actually in two classes now, beginner and intermediate. Basically, the beginner class that I started in became an intermediate, so I picked up the other to perfect the basics. With the right instructor it is a great workout and great for core strength and flexibility. Surprisingly, I'm not the biggest one in my intermediate class either.