Holiday and Exercise

Options
Hi All

I am off on hols on Wed for 2 weeks in the sun, but I am now starting to panic, as I currently work out on average 8 hours a week.

We are lucky that the hotel we are staying at has a gym and pools, but it is an All Inclusive holiday... arghhh.

I am packing my trainers, as I hope to get to the gym, but then do not want to look sad by going to the gym. :huh:

What I planned is to try and get to the gym every other day, before breakfast and while hiubby and son are still in bed. maybe do some running, cross trainer and bike.

Try and do plenty of swimming and if the hotel does some aqua a bit of that.

Do you think these seems rather obsessive, or would you do the same???

I will try to eat as healthy as possible, going to a greek island, so hopefully will be plenty of salads and chicken.

Rach

Replies

• WussKat
    WussKat Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Rach!

I would do the same as you with the gym etc. But don't beat yourself up about it if you don't manage to get there as often as you planned.

Drink loads of water....swim lots...you might find you don't want to eat so much when its hot?

Above all enjoy yourself! Have a great time :glasses:
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, I totally agree with your attitude. Why undo all your good work? If it has a gym then use it! From my experience hotel gyms, especially in vacation spots, are usually gloriously empty! I read on this site (can't recall where) that it takes only seven days to lose the fitness level you had previously acquired. We will be on vacation in the USA for the whole summer and each place we are staying has a pool and a gym, purposefully as else I will lose the momentum. Don't forget that it will be dammed hot in Greece so the gym may be the best place to run anyway. We will be in Vegas for a while and I so don't fancy running down the strip in 105 degrees!!

have a great vacation! :smile:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Hi Rach

I have the same problem I fly out on Tuesday for 2 weeks of all inclusive fun :drinker:

I'm taking my gym gear and have alreay checked out the gym facilities on line. Also planning to do a lot of swimming aswell

I don;t think its obsessive, why take a complete break when you have all this time on your hands .

If you enjoy working out why not work out on holiday.

Have a good time, Now where did i leave my flippers !

Aid :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound obsessive to me at all, sounds like you're planning healthy choices!
    Enjoy your vaca:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I am on vacation now visiting family, and have maintained my workout schedule. I get up at 5 or 6 in the morning and I'm in the hotel fitness room for about an hour or so. I've also continued to try and eat healthy, but it's been really hard because of the options available. I've had to make do with what I have.
    Stay on track as best you can. Continue making healthy choices. It will not only benefit you, but your family in the long run!
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I'm having the same conumdrum. I fly to the Canaries 4 weeks on Monday. All inclusive is seeming scary at the moment! I'm going to try and do the same as you - use the gym and pool etc. I'm not drinking at the moment because I'm breastfeeding so that's not an issue (it usually is - I like to get my money's worth!) but it's the desserts that tempt me.

I'm also taking some carbohydrate-blocker tablets too. I usually buy 'Phase 2' tablets for my hols but I've seen some new ones advertised today in the paper.

Good luck!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessive at all. It's good to have a plan, but don't feel bad if you don't stick to the plan 100%. Aim for every other day, like you said.

DH and I went on a cruise a couple of years ago, and we worked out in the gym. It was empty most of the time. By working out, we were able to balance all of the extra calories we were consuming. We also kept active by doing fun excursions - kayak and bike tours.

Have a great holiday!
  • rachie78sw
    rachie78sw Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive replies, I am going to enjoy my holiday but incorporate what I know into it.

I do not want to undo 8 months worth of work in 2 weeks.

I shall let you know how I get on. :drinker:
  • jennyos
    jennyos Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!
    I just got back from a week in greece (all inclusive) and i was really worried that i would put back on all of the 32lbs I've lost. I tried not to concentrate on it all week, got lots of excercise doing fun things like windsurfing, ate what i wanted, but healthily, and drank cocktails everynight! we had a great time, I've just weighed in and I only put on 1 lb. so just go and enjoy yourself!! xx
  • rachie78sw
    rachie78sw Posts: 28
    Options
    Well I have been back for 2 weeks and I finally got on the scales and I put on 2 lbs, which is not that bad, I did swim most days but only managed the gym 3 times.

I chose pretty healthy food it was the drink that was the let down.

But I am back to it now.