Calculating calories

Options
I've seen a few posts that say where if an exercise isn't in the database you should use a heart rate monitor to calculate the calories burned. So how do I turn what the HRM tells me into a calorie figure? Sorry if I'm being thick:blushing:

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    A HRM will tell you how many calories you burn.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The HRM does it for you. It will actually tell you how many calories you burned, no need to calculate anything, they're great!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do you mean how to translate what the HRM says onto MFP, in terms of logging it?
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not all HRMs tell you that. You must get one that specifically has calorie information.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Yeah snorker88, thats exactly what I meant. I thought perhaps there was a magic formula to calculate calories from the HRM reading.

Oh well . I need to get a fancier model then co mine only gives the bpm reading :grumble:
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeah snorker88, thats exactly what I meant. I thought perhaps there was a magic formula to calculate calories from the HRM reading.

Oh well . I need to get a fancier model then co mine only gives the bpm reading :grumble:

I'm not 100% sure as I dont use a HRM, but perhaps go to the exercise type you have done and manually adjust the calories to whatever your HRM says, or you work it out to be?

We could do with a quick add exercise calories like we have a quick add food calories now!

Hope this helps :smile:
  • KS1980
    KS1980 Posts: 40
    Options
    I use this calculator and use my average heart rate.

http://heartcalories.com/
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    While the models that automatically track your calories are more convenient, you may find that the one you have already is sufficient. As long as it will give you an avg bpm over the duration of your workout, you should be able to find an online calculator and compute your calories expended manually.

However, if you choose to go with a "fancier" model, I have found the Polar line of heart rate monitors to be superior--specifically the F6 and F7 models.

:flowerforyou:
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    I use this calculator and use my average heart rate.

http://heartcalories.com/

Just what I'm looking for. Thanks!:flowerforyou: