wii fit = gain weight

Options
okay so i done this wii fit for about 45 minutes a day for the last two days and my own scale says i gained 3.5 pounds?!?! how is that possible?!?! i am soo sore from this wii i thought i would have lost already!

Replies

• caitlin15
    caitlin15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't forget that it could be some muscle that you're gaining! So maybe if you can add some other type of workout along with wii fit, if you have time and access :D
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, wii fit doesn't burn so many calories. If you were doing something that was burning more calories before and then stopped that to start wii fit you could gain if you didn't adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

But 3.5 lbs is a lot in 2 days, so it really could be water retention. How much sodium have you been consuming a day? I think MFP is setting the sodium a bit high. Most ppl say 1500 mg a day rather than 2000.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I doubt a Wii Fit would give you 3 lbs of muscle in 45min for 2 days, but do keep in mind that your bodys weight can flucuate even 1-2s if not more, keep focused on your diet and watch the sodium. Wii fit is a good tool, but I would also try to work on at least walking or doing some other type of exercise.
    What does the scale on the Wii fit say? Does it show a gain?
  • annajo13
    annajo13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree its most likely water, you don't gain 3 plus pounds in just a few days.....try doing more cardio, I workout with my wii and I have the Jillian Michaels 2010 fitness game....she jogs laps so it has added cardio...check that one out or try adding more cardio.
  • Diaz07fam
    Diaz07fam Posts: 43
    Options
    well i wasnt doing anything before except for what i do on a daily basis, walks with the kids and cleaning and chasing after a one and two year old all day long, which i still do on top of the wii... but i have been jogging and eveything on the wii and trust me im dripping sweat like crazy... maybe its water but i havent done anything different in the past few days... hmm:grumble: oh and yes the wii fit showed a gain too.. and i was wearing thesame type of clothing soo.. who knows
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm thinking water weight. This is usually the culprit of most gain in a couple of days. I wouldn't get discouraged. Keep going! I bet in the next week or so, that scale will be down A LOT!!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I dont have much fitness knowledge but from my own experience when I first started exercising using the wii I went from doing nothing to exercising 30-45mins a day and it took a while for a my muscles to adjust. So like you I saw a gain in the first week, perhaps two and then whoooosh the weight started coming off quite quickly! :)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't claim to know everything. However, a really knowledgeable gentleman on here (SHBOSS1673) helped me gain some insight into what was happening with my body. I'm going to start with a couple assumptions here. If they're wrong let me know!
    1st I'm going to assume that you had been doing little to exercise before you started Wii Fit (or if you were, they were DIFFERENT exercises than you are doing on the Wii). Second I'm going to assume that you haven't gone over your calories by 10,500 in the last week. (1 pound= 3500 calories)

Assuming those two things, here is what I think is happening:
    When you begin exercising again, after a long period of not, you muscles become "reactivated." It's not that you GAIN NEW muscle, it's that you begin using muscles that you haven't been using for awhile. This reactivated muscle requires nurishment to work and repair its self. This nurishment comes in the form of glycogen (which is water mixed with nutrients). Your muscles get an infusion of glycogen which makes them look bigger, and it makes them weigh more (which is really just water weight). As you continue to work out, and continue using those muscles, they learn how much glycogen they need and they stop storing extra. They aslo begin burning surrounding fat for energy and don't require as much glycogen.

Long explanation short: Your muscles are storing water to help them heal and work more effectively during your workouts. Keep up the good work, and within a couple weeks you will literally see the pounds MELT off! (all that extra water will leave, and some of the fat that was surrounding it)

Keep working! You are doing great!

P.S. Here is a GREAT thread that answers a lot of questions. And it kind of answers this one better! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/101833-10-answers-to-common-questions
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I don't claim to know everything. However, a really knowledgeable gentleman on here (SHBOSS1673) helped me gain some insight into what was happening with my body. I'm going to start with a couple assumptions here. If they're wrong let me know!
    1st I'm going to assume that you had been doing little to exercise before you started Wii Fit (or if you were, they were DIFFERENT exercises than you are doing on the Wii). Second I'm going to assume that you haven't gone over your calories by 10,500 in the last week. (1 pound= 3500 calories)

Assuming those two things, here is what I think is happening:
    When you begin exercising again, after a long period of not, you muscles become "reactivated." It's not that you GAIN NEW muscle, it's that you begin using muscles that you haven't been using for awhile. This reactivated muscle requires nurishment to work and repair its self. This nurishment comes in the form of glycogen (which is water mixed with nutrients). Your muscles get an infusion of glycogen which makes them look bigger, and it makes them weigh more (which is really just water weight). As you continue to work out, and continue using those muscles, they learn how much glycogen they need and they stop storing extra. They aslo begin burning surrounding fat for energy and don't require as much glycogen.

Long explanation short: Your muscles are storing water to help them heal and work more effectively during your workouts. Keep up the good work, and within a couple weeks you will literally see the pounds MELT off! (all that extra water will leave, and some of the fat that was surrounding it)

Keep working! You are doing great!

P.S. Here is a GREAT thread that answers a lot of questions. And it kind of answers this one better! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/101833-10-answers-to-common-questions

What a great explanation! :flowerforyou: