Insomniac struggling to stay positive

Hey everyone,

For the past 2 weeks I have been waking up and struggling to get back to sleep. For the first few days I would go to bed, fall asleep and start semi-waking and have very vivid dreams, it was almost like my body was asleep but my mind was awake and processing loads of images, in this time I would not wake up fully but I was aware that I was moving around a lot and could remember my dreams in the morning.

This lasted for roughly 6 days and then it changed a bit, I would go to bed as normal, fall asleep and wake up at 3/4am but this time I'm waking up fully, when I finally do drift back off it's the same as the first 6 nights, fuzzy sleep, dreams, moving around (waking my Husband up) one night I woke up and sat there crying because I was so exhausted.

I've tried almost everything, from Nytol Tablets, warm milk, relaxing baths followed by a massage, sex (which usually would do the trick) lavender oil, going to bed earlier, no TV at least 3 hours before bed, I don't drink coffee or tea with caffeine either, I've tried setting a bedtime routine and so on.

I'm not stressed or at least I don't feel stressed, no financial issues, no relationship problems..

I wake up at the same time everyday and I feel knackered, my Husband goes to work and I get on with my daily housewife duties and take care of my little boy, I go out for morning walks, I've stopped exercising in the evening but now I don't have the energy to workout at all and when I do muster up some energy I feel like collapsing afterwards.

Has anyone every experienced anything similar to this, I feel quite dizzy at some points in the day as I'm so tired :(

I'm going to see a GP soon but I'm pretty sure all they'll do is prescribe me some sleeping pills, which I won't be able to take as I wouldn't want to feel drowsy in the day.

Any help is welcome, sorry for the essay!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Some ideas to help - read before bed to get your mind of things. Make sure you write anything down before you go to bed for your "to do" list so it's not on your mind. I know you don't want the sleeping pills but you may need to get some. I was on Lunesta for 3 years before I weaned myself off it and I'm so glad I did. I had become addicted to them and used them as a crutch, so to speak. Good luck, I've been there.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    I've tried reading. I fall asleep no problem. I don't have much on my mind to be causing me not to stay asleep either. As for sleeping pills it's something I would try as a last resort, my little boy is only 2 and I don't have anyone who could come and help me with him if I was in a drowsy state so for his safety and mine I would prefer to avoid them, I've seen what they've done to my mother.

Thank you
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i use zzzquil. Its over the counter and safe- and you can just take half a dose if you are concerned. Not getting enough sleep each night not only leads to weight gain but also puts you at risk of accidents and injury during the day. More car accidents happen due to tired drivers than drunk drivers- fact!

i would not suggest ambien or any prescriptions until you try something over the counter and gentle like zzzquil.
  • MrsBobaFett
    I've also tried relaxation yoga and eating a banana before bed :\
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    also dont work out at night. it will make it hard to sleep. cut all caffeine and sugar (including chocolate!) after 12pm.
  • MrsBobaFett
    i use zzzquil. Its over the counter and safe- and you can just take half a dose if you are concerned. Not getting enough sleep each night not only leads to weight gain but also puts you at risk of accidents and injury during the day. More car accidents happen due to tired drivers than drunk drivers- fact!

i would not suggest ambien or any prescriptions until you try something over the counter and gentle like zzzquil.

I live in the UK, I don't think we have those medications here. I've tried Nytol which is an over the counter herbal medicine, you take 2 tablets an hour before bed and they send me to sleep in that time, it's staying asleep that is the issue. Thank you though!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    They almost certainly won't prescribe sleeping pills, they don't like doing that. I begged for months for some, and even then they would only give me a week's worth. Most likely they'll give you a psychological and lifestyle interrogation. And genuine sympathies, I've been there for years, still am, it's a thoroughly unpleasant place, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  • MrsBobaFett
    They almost certainly won't prescribe sleeping pills, they don't like doing that. I begged for months for some, and even then they would only give me a week's worth. Most likely they'll give you a psychological and lifestyle interrogation. And genuine sympathies, I've been there for years, still am, it's a thoroughly unpleasant place, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The last time I felt like this is when my son was born, it took over a year for him to sleep through the night, he'd wake me up every hour and I felt like I was going crazy.

I'm going to see my GP, although they are usually useless and don't show any interest, it's worth a shot!

Sorry to hear you're going through it too!
  • Zomoniac
    You could try melatonin. It's officially not available to buy over the counter here, but it is in North America, and for reasons I'm yet to fathom customs are perfectly happy to allow it to be imported (I know they opened and checked my last delivery and all was fine), much like ephedrine. We have peculiar laws on medicinal distribution.
  • MrsBobaFett
    You could try melatonin. It's officially not available to buy over the counter here, but it is in North America, and for reasons I'm yet to fathom customs are perfectly happy to allow it to be imported (I know they opened and checked my last delivery and all was fine), much like ephedrine. We have peculiar laws on medicinal distribution.

I've heard of this, I do worry about buying medicine online though lol! Will have to look into it, so many people swear by it!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    I am going through exactly the same thing and would love an answer!! I have been offered sleeping pills which are a mild anti depressant but I don't want to take them...i've seen the damage they can do.

My insomnia has been going on for about 2 years now, roughly since my Dad died. But 2 years on, I am not stressed about it, and Im sure it's just habbit.

Like you, I have no problem getting to sleep at all, it's staying asleep that's the issue. Im exhausted. Im losing my mo-jo for exercise but I have no clue what the answer is.

You have my sympathy and support.....let's hope someone has an answer...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • MrsBobaFett
    I am going through exactly the same thing and would love an answer!! I have been offered sleeping pills which are a mild anti depressant but I don't want to take them...i've seen the damage they can do.

My insomnia has been going on for about 2 years now, roughly since my Dad died. But 2 years on, I am not stressed about it, and Im sure it's just habbit.

Like you, I have no problem getting to sleep at all, it's staying asleep that's the issue. Im exhausted. Im losing my mo-jo for exercise but I have no clue what the answer is.

You have my sympathy and support.....let's hope someone has an answer...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hope you get a good nights sleep soon! I'm the same, I have absolutely no get up and go whatsoever, I miss my cardio days :( x
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Nightmare! I can relate to what you are suffering as I had years like that, also trying all the things you have so know how ghastly you must feel. The thing that changed for me was when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease and changed my diet to eliminate gluten. I'm not suggesting that this is what your problem is, merely that what we eat can make a big difference. If nothing seems to be helping then it might be worth talking to your doctor about food sensitivities and trying a food elimination programme. I think you are right to shy away from the drug route!

I now generally sleep well but find that if I have had a few glasses of wine I can have a disturbed night which I guess is partly due to dehydration. Of course the worst nights of all are when my husband has had quite a few glasses of wine and keeps me awake all night with his snoring!

Also I don't know what age you are, but I have read that insomnia can be related to the menopause so maybe there is some hormonal factor? Again something to research and then discuss with the doctor.

Good luck.
  • Zomoniac

I've heard of this, I do worry about buying medicine online though lol! Will have to look into it, so many people swear by it!

I use CenturySupplements.com for all my melatonin and ECA stuff so can vouch for them. I've been using it for about a month now and it seems to do a good job of keeping me under (it's just getting under in the first place that's a problem now).

I've got quite a supply actually, so if you want I can send you a few to try out? Just PM me if you want to (though I won't be at all offended if you're not comfortable with the idea of taking pills sent by a stranger on the internet!).
  • MrsBobaFett
    Nightmare! I can relate to what you are suffering as I had years like that, also trying all the things you have so know how ghastly you must feel. The thing that changed for me was when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease and changed my diet to eliminate gluten. I'm not suggesting that this is what your problem is, merely that what we eat can make a big difference. If nothing seems to be helping then it might be worth talking to your doctor about food sensitivities and trying a food elimination programme. I think you are right to shy away from the drug route!

I now generally sleep well but find that if I have had a few glasses of wine I can have a disturbed night which I guess is partly due to dehydration. Of course the worst nights of all are when my husband has had quite a few glasses of wine and keeps me awake all night with his snoring!

Also I don't know what age you are, but I have read that insomnia can be related to the menopause so maybe there is some hormonal factor? Again something to research and then discuss with the doctor.

Good luck.

Thank you Boroko, I'm 24. I may have to push my Doctor into doing something to help me as they usually just sit there uninterested. The only thing I've changed regarding food is my eating habits, I used to eat whatever I liked in large quantities and now I eat 1500 calories a day, I haven't added any new food to my diet or eliminated any that I used to eat. I don't drink alcohol or coffee. I've been drinking more water as I used to hardly drink any and try not to drink anything 2 hours prior to bedtime so that I don't need the toilet in the middle of the night x
  • MrsBobaFett

I use CenturySupplements.com for all my melatonin and ECA stuff so can vouch for them. I've been using it for about a month now and it seems to do a good job of keeping me under (it's just getting under in the first place that's a problem now).

I've got quite a supply actually, so if you want I can send you a few to try out? Just PM me if you want to (though I won't be at all offended if you're not comfortable with the idea of taking pills sent by a stranger on the internet!).

Thanks for the info, I'll go to a doctor first and if I get desperate I may take you up on your offer, thank you for being so generous and I'm sure you have no secret ploy to kill me :laugh:
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member

Thank you Boroko, I'm 24. I may have to push my Doctor into doing something to help me as they usually just sit there uninterested. The only thing I've changed regarding food is my eating habits, I used to eat whatever I liked in large quantities and now I eat 1500 calories a day, I haven't added any new food to my diet or eliminated any that I used to eat. I don't drink alcohol or coffee. I've been drinking more water as I used to hardly drink any and try not to drink anything 2 hours prior to bedtime so that I don't need the toilet in the middle of the night x

Sounds like you will need to be firm and persistent with your doctor. They just don't seem to understand what an impact not sleeping can have on your life, and as a mother you need to be at your best every day. Ask for a full blood test to check iron, vitamin B12, thyroid etc. Maybe if you have cut your calories a lot you just aren't eating enough or aren't eating enough of certain nutrients? Maybe ask to see a dietitian but don't let them fob you off with tablets.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I've taken melatonin during insomnia bouts as well. I know they exist in pill form too but I took the liquid drops (an eyedropper full, into a small glass of water). It helped me relax, get to sleep, and stay asleep...without making me exhausted in the morning and with NO side-effects or rough, drowsy mornings. It's great because it's something that occurs naturally in the body, so it's not a fake, processed chemical like sleeping pills. I hope you find something safe that works for you!
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    I would a) consider where you are in menstrual cycle and b) NO technology of any kind a minimum of one hour before you go to sleep c) make sure you're not hungry. All of these factors disrupt my sleep which makes me grouchy. Good luck!
  • sofahogger
    sofahogger Posts: 10 Member
    This website was recommended on another thread on MFP.

http://www.liberationinmind.com/

Down the bottom of the page is a link to an insomnia hypnotherapy tape I think.

I'm going to give it a try tonight.

Hope you find something that works.