Help with the 30 day shred?

Options
I just finished day seven of the 30 day shred, but I feel like it’s been progressively getting harder. I mean, it’s not; like I’m not drenched in gallons of sweat like I was on day one and my muscles don’t ache so much that I can barely walk, but I’m finding myself taking a lot more sips of water and the shoulder raise thing is now at the point where I can’t do it anymore.

I took a rest day after day three, so it’s been four days since I’ve taken one. Should I take another? This is my first time trying to exercise so I don’t really know much about it and I would appreciate some help if anybody knows what could be wrong.

Does anybody have any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've done 10 days total and even though I am not usually sore afterwards, my arms are killing me during it. Maybe that is because I am using 5lbs weights...I don't know though. It is weird how it seems it is getting harder on some areas. lol
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So is it a normal thing, maybe? But isn't it supposed to be getting easier? :(
  • amperl8
    amperl8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find the same happening to me also
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You are getting stronger. :)
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch the levels up throughout the days you're working on it so you're not using the same muscle groups every day?
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a day off. You said this was your first time exercising - I'd say your body NEEDS a break. You can't keep working it and working it without giving it rest. It'll take time for your body to adjust, so take a day off. I'd suggest taking a day off whenever you feel you need it (not too extensively though) and stay on level 1 until you're ready to move up. That being said, good job on your progress and good luck with continuing!
  • KentClark
    KentClark Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what's the lb's of your weights? I completed the shred. The only time I had to take a break was two days after i finished level one, I had hurt my knee.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. But if you're out of shape, don't do the DVD every single day. Jillian even said in an interview that the 30 Day Shred was a marketing gimmick her advertising company came up with. Take day off breaks if you can't handle doing it every day. Your muscles need time to recuperate, so take a day off (or two) and go back to it. Eventually you'll get up to the point where you can do it every single day. I'm on my third run through of the full levels - currently on L3 day 4 - and while I could do it every single day if I wanted to without causing my muscles undue stress, I'd rather intersperse it with running.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 DS for a while. When I first started I thought I was going to die. My arms were so sore. then i was using only 3 lb. weights. i did it for about 12 days with maybe 2 days off. I started it again 4 days ago. i do not sweat bullet and I am not sore. I use the 5 lb. weights for the first set then the 3 lb for the second. I do drink a lot of water while doing it. keep it up and you will be amazed with the results!!
  • j3nnal3igh13
    Options
    The same is happening to me. The last strength move with side lunges and raises KILL my arms. I started with 5 pound weights, but it hurt so bad that my form wasn't proper. I dropped down to 3 lbs (for that move only) and noticed it helps my form and I still feel the burn, but not to the point of "painful" and I can get through the 3 minutes. Maybe try a lighter weight for a day? see how it feels? Check your form? If that doesn't help, a rest day is always nice. Good luck!! I'm feeling your pain. But, it's worth it!! I feel stronger every day. LOVE Jillian!!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes take another rest day! Take a hot bath and do some stretching. Don't over exercise because eventually you won't want to do it anymore. A lot of people do 30ds 6 days a week with one rest day but as someone new to working out I wouldn't do that. This was suggested workout schedule by others doing the program. I'm doing ripped in 30, but I have also tried 30ds.

Day 1: 30ds
    Day 2 :30ds
    Day 3 :Cardio of your choice
    Day 4 :30ds
    Day 5 :30ds
    Day 6 :Cardio of your choice
    Day 7 :Rest
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I really appreciate all the feedback. I will take another rest day. :)