Lap Band Surgery Anyone?

Options
tinaslim
tinaslim Posts: 48 Member
Is there anyone out here that's had lap band surgery and continues to post regularly on MFP? I know the band is just a "tool", but wanted to see if there is anyone out here that can tell us about it......

Replies

• JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had Lap Band 4 years ago, and I log in everyday. Friend me if you'd like.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not a lapbander..but a had rny 2.5 years ago, its also just a tool and I log daily :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery about 14 months ago, and I am here every day.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Didn't have lap band but had gastric sleeve WLS done 6/11/12 and log in daily. Yes it is only a tool. I've lost 1/2 of me, started at 270 on 2/1/12 and lost 47 pounds pre op and then have lost 88 pounds post op. Total lost 135! My personal goal is 130 for my 5'4" height.
    Friend me if you like.
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was banded on 1/10/13. Would love to have more wls friends. Please feel free to add me.
  • pteppix
    pteppix Posts: 1
    Options
    I just had Lap Band surgery 2 weeks ago. I had to go on a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) for the 3 weeks leading up to the surgery. It was quite hard by the end, especially when my surgery was pushed back by 4 days and I had to face another 4 days of feeling constantly hungry!
    It wasn't as painful as I had been told by one friend of a friend who had it done about a year ago.
    Since commencing the VLCD 5 weeks ago, and being banded for the last 2 of those, I've lost 13.5 kg (30 lbs) and it's really made a huge difference to my self-esteem.
    I've only just started my journey and daily use of MFP helped me kick-start the process of taking control of my eating.
    I expect that this kind of progress will slow down soon, but I'm really happy with the start so far.
  • Erica_Mahan
    Erica_Mahan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 4 years ago also. I've lost 53 lbs so far.
  • kayjane92
    kayjane92 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm going to a appointment with a surgeon soon!! I am looking for others who got it to help guide me through it.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of forum groups on MFP for weight loss surgery, bypass, band and such. Join those and there are lots of folks to share notes with.
  • cmherb76
    cmherb76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Never had it or any form of surgery.

Great job on your weight loss!
  • Foltz
    Foltz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both 5 years out from 'Banding, and we log every day ftmp unless our schedules/smartphones die ;)
  • flnursepookie
    Options
    I'm scheduled for my lap band in 4weeks, getting ready for the 2 week high protein diet pre op soon. I know the biggest factor is going to be sticking to the restrictions. I don't deal well with pureed food at all, any suggestions on foods to eat post op that are soft enough they won't have to be pureed and will be higher in protein?
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band a little over a year ago. I am trying to get back to logging every day. I have been at the same weight for about 5 or 6 months. So I really have to start logging and increasing and changing my exercise. Please add me.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I had vertical gastric sleeve surgery last December...down a total of 45 lbs!! feel free to add me!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the lap band, but I am taking psych medications that control my compulsive over eating and it is really helping me. I still want to be your friend and I log in every day.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Never had it or any form of surgery.

I have had 2 surgeries and I really don't want to have it unless it's medically necessary for me.
  • NatashaWhowantstoknow
    Options
    I had it done June 2007 and I must admit that I have nothing good to say about it. I am preparing to have it removed either the end of the year or the beginning of next year. I just hope that you have done your research and really be ready for the commitment and possible side effects that may come. You can do a lot of browsing through www.obesityhelp.org to get other people's journeys with the lap-band. On there you will find success stories and you will find failures. That is pretty much with a lot of surgeries though. If you would like to hear my personal experience just email me.
  • highland_sky
    highland_sky Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So, I too had surgery several years ago. I did loose a little weight in the beginning, but have not had the successes that others seem to have had. It is just as much of a committment to making the right choices... continuing to make the right choices.

I'm trying again on MFP to be honest about what I am eating and adapting as I go. Still working out several times a week - but hope to incorporate more workouts like others on here seem to find success with.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I see that someone responded to check out obesityhelp.com. You'll find on that site that a lot of people openly admit that they failed the band, the band didn't fail them. It's not an easy fix, none of the weight loss surgeries are. You have to weigh the pros and cons and find the right one for you (if surgery is in fact the decision that you are making).

Like highland_sky said, it's completely about being honest and adapting. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!