Is loose skin inevitable? ... pics included (Sorry)

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I think male or female also matters. Women naturally carry more weight in the middle but genetics determines the elasticity of skin. My husband had gastric bypass and went from 311 to 176 with very little loose skin.

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg
    I am not checking out your husband...:tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think male or female also matters. Women naturally carry more weight in the middle but genetics determines the elasticity of skin. My husband had gastric bypass and went from 311 to 176 with very little loose skin.

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

neither am i. :glasses:
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

Holy Moly! That is not the same person! :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly! That is not the same person! :)
    I know right, way to get a new husband with the same tattoo. It's amazing what a tan can do :tongue:
  • looplulu
    looplulu Posts: 21
    Options

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

Wow! Your husband looks incredible and like a completely different person.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

I too am not wolf-whistling at yo' man....
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I think you will probably need one. This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but from the looks of the bottom portion, I would say you'll be a good candidate for it. Yes you should wait till you're done having kids or you will just stretch it back out again. Definitely weight train, and try to lose it at a slow, healthy rate.

This group has lots of great info...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

edited cause I'm the typo queen

^Agree and highly recommend you join the group.

I also concur with the other posters who've stated that there is no tell, as to how your body will respond@loose skin post your completion of weight loss. There are way too many variables to consider, genetics being a major player. How long have you carried the drooping tummy? How are your collagen and elasticity levels there? Do you have to address hormonal issues? Do you/did you smoke? What is your diet like? Skin complexion?

Apart from the group stated above, I would also suggest that you locate a good dermatologist, for they are the only ones equipped to recommend treatments addressing your problem when the time comes. Until then, eating at a deficit accompanied by cardio+strength training, are methods many of us on this site attest to. Choose a programme and stick to it - you might be surprised with the results you achieve. Good luck.

FYI: I lost my weight rather quickly. I did not experience any loose skin, granted I did not have to deal/live with being fat but for the past 3 years and this would be the 4th@2013. My genetics played a major role here I believe, for both my mother and grandmother carried 4(3 survived) and 11(10 survived) children to term, without any stretch marks, cellulite and both regained their flat bellies. Additionally, I am a derma roller, RF and light therapy treatments oficionado for many years(including my fatty years), so they too may have contributed to me not having to consider such a drastic option like a tummy tuck.

There is no blueprint for every single overweight person. You have to live through your weight loss and chart your own changes. Some lose slowly and have loose skin. Some lose slowly and their skin boomerangs to its normal state. Some lose quickly and have loose skin too. And naturally, some lose quickly and snap back to their normal states.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

Welllll..then ... me either!! :noway: :bigsmile:
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am blatantly checking out your husband but it is your fault because you posted him. :laugh:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You may need a tummy tuck when you are done. Lose the weight and figure out how to maintain before you do anything. My plastic surgeon does do tummy tucks on younger women who still plan to have kids. He does not tighten the stomach muscles as much. He said even after having kids their stomachs never go back to looking like they did pre-plastics.
  • pegtate
    pegtate Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll chime in on a different angle. After I had my kids I was heavier than I wanted. So, I lost the excess weight and did a lot of strength training, but for me it was inevitable. Even after all the work, my stomach skin sagged (and so did my breasts). Rather than live with it, I treated myself for all the hard work by having the surgery. Both stomach and breast lift. Yes, there are scars. But mine faded to the point where it is totally unnoticeable unless someone is really trying to find them. I was (and still am) thrilled with the results - and my doctor was pleased that I did most of the hard work first - then followed with the surgery. It was much easier to recover too since I was healthy to begin with.

Well that was many years ago, and lately I've let the weight creep back on. So, here I am, trying to loose a few pounds and get some support along the way.

Anyway, just wanted to add a different perspective.
  • looplulu
    looplulu Posts: 21
    Options
    You may need a tummy tuck when you are done. Lose the weight and figure out how to maintain before you do anything. My plastic surgeon does do tummy tucks on younger women who still plan to have kids. He does not tighten the stomach muscles as much. He said even after having kids their stomachs never go back to looking like they did pre-plastics.

I had no idea there were plastic surgeons who did that, so thanks for the information. It's something I'll keep in mind for much further down the road if need be.
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I was 235 and I am now 188 (5'4) within 6 months. I don't have any saggy skin. I was worried about that too but I've been losing slowly and working out regularly and my body is tighting up now. I am 23 years old so I guess in a similar boat as you. I'm pretty happy with how my body looks right now and without doubt I know by the time I get to my goal my body will look great. Don't stress over that.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost 185 pounds (started at 380 pounds)...I do have excess skin...I dont think "losing slowly" makes a difference honestly (I lost mine over 6.5 years so slow didnt help me lol)...it is what it is...i like to look at it as a "battle wound"...definitely do weights...eat well...and see where things are at when your at goal....there is always the option of surgery - altho ive chosen not to go down that path - dress well and you will look fab :)
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...I think he is pretty hot too. One of my students (high school special Ed behavior) said Man Mrs. E now I know why you and your husband have eight kids! Sometimes they have have no filter.

In all seriousness he did go from 311 in 171 in eight months in 2004. This picture was taken in 2010 weighing in an about 180. He doesnt work out just follows low carb high protein diet. He has had no complications from the surgery and uses it as the tool it was intended.

Now I am determined to be hot standing next to him!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

fredbefore.jpg

fredjamaica-1.jpg

Might I just say
    > WOW!!!!!

Wow.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hun, just keep going! Get that weight off you while you are young!!!!! Do not worry about things like loose skin, because I'm sorry but surely you would feel better losing weight but being able to hide a bit of loose skin behind clothes? I think if you work hard and lift weights (yes it does wonders) then you shouldn't really have anything to worry about! JUST GO FOR IT!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What everyone said is correct - you won't know what will happen until it happens. Genetics play a huge part, so does how long you were overweight.

That being said, there are some things you can do for yourself to help your body bounce back and fill out properly. 1) Strength traning is hugehugehuge. 2) Water. Hydration will assist the elasticity of your skin in bouncing back. This is, of course, a long term thing. Get all your water in every day and keep your body nice and hydrated. 3) Moisturize. I am friends with several people who've lost a lot of weight and found that keeping their skin moisturized, as well as hydrated, helped keep the skin in really good condition throughout their loss and believed it had a positive effect on how well their skin bounced back. I'm not talking about special cremes that claim to help tighten loose skin - I mean just regular body lotion you probably use anyway.

Lastly, don't worry about it until it happens. Whatever you have when you're done losing weight is still better than being overweight.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight for 26 years. I went from 373 to 170 pounds and only have about 10 pounds of excess skin on my arms and stomach. I lost 25 inches from my around my stomach. I recently lost another inch only last week. If I lie down I have a flat stomach and can even see my rib cage. I have no excess skin or fat on my upper body.

At 25 you are much younger than my 38 years. Make sure you keep hydrated, moisturiser and vitamin supplements can help and give it time. Conditions of muscles underneath and determine how the skin will hang. It took me two years to get where I am. I am hoping by the end of the year, it will be reduced even more.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Really cant predict it. You will just have to lose the weight and see what happens/worry about it then. I will tell you, though, that i started at 277 lbs, now i'm 159 and do not have much lose skin. Ive been overweight my entire life (never under 220 as an adult) and had 2 kids within 15 months so i definitley thought i would have tons. I do have some but its not much at all and things are tightening up nicely. I remember worrying about loose skin in the beginning as well but honestly, loose skin is better than the fat. Just do it and worry about it when the time comes.