What to do instead of thinking about food!!!

Options
I am a SAHM & full time online college student so I'm home 24/7! It's easy for me to think of food all the time & when I'm bored food is the first thing I go too. What does everyone do to not think of food especially when your home as much as I am? I try to read as much as possible or watch tv & on nice days I try to get out so my son can play.:ohwell:

Replies

• xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I am currently unemployed so I am interested to see what others say! Thanks for the post!!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Get outside! Go for a walk, go to the park, go on a bike ride, or all of the above. Get moving and you'll find that thoughts of food quickly disappear.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby. I enjoy scrapbooking a lot so I do that sometimes to keep occupied.

If you have kids, do art projects with them or take them on adventures to the park, museums, etc.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm a student and have finished this year so I have a ton of time on my hands, too. I usually write a to do list and get through it. Going shopping, doing the washing, making a dinner or lunch with effort (i.e. something that needs various steps or takes at least half an hour to prepare), washing my hair (I have to wash it, dry it and straighten it just as a base - add a face mask if you want to pamper yourself further), writing some mail, sending mail, tidying up, searching for something online, planning something, writing a blog post, watching a film, watching a tv program... As long as you have a few things to work through, you'll probably see that food is just another to do rather than a go to. Then there's always the opposite end - working out. Rather than taking in calories with food, you can burn them with exercising (dvds, walking, running, gym if you can).
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What I try to do is keep myself busy. I work full time from home so I can be with my son, so I get that the temptation is always there. So if I start to get hungry I get up and dance or something with my son, or maybe get the vacuum or broom out. There is also drinking water.

I do find though, you are supposed to eat every couple of hours anyway, so if it is between those times, which is rare for me, that is when I do the extra activities. Otherwise, I listen to my body and eat. I have also been known to take a nap, if possible. :-) Good luck to y'all!
  • katepearman
    Options
    If you're thinking about food, it's possible that your body is hungry! Whenever I feel that way, I have a little snack. Something big enough to to satisfy my craving but small enough to not make me regret it immediately after I eat. A really good snack is a 3 or 4 Keebler Townhouse crackers with a little bit of cottage cheese and some Mrs. Dash or some sort of seasoning. It's healthy and I always feel good after I eat a few!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Well me personally, I pray and read my Bible and I write....i do every and anything to occupy mind.....
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Cleaning works for me sometimes :) It gets my mind off of it and by the time i'm done it may be time for a snack or meal so it's like a reward for cleaning!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I clean - my house has never been cleaner!! :laugh:
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I work full time from home which is what got me to where i am in the first place. However, on my food plan, we are to eat every 2 to 3 hours. I'm usually never hungry and keep quite busy with work, going to the gym, researching new recipes, planning out my food for the day (ahead of time) cause it's too late once you've eaten it. laundry, making lists of things I need to accomplish. I find i have no problem keeping away from the kitchen anymore. the only time i go in there is to prepare my meals.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I clean - my house has never been cleaner!! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, if you spend your whole day at home, eating many small meals throughout the day is a good idea.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ~drink coffee
    ~drink water
    ~chew gum
    ~clean the house
    ~surf the net
    ~blog
    ~turn on music/ sing
    ~talk on the phone
    ~watch a movie
    ~play outside with the kids
    ~read to the kids
    ~do a craft with the kids
    ~exercise
    ~paint & draw

Just a few of the ones I use to keep me busy at home with the munchkins!