hemp hearts, flax seed, chia seeds and whey protein

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
I bought that all today and not sure how much, when and in or on what :)

Help please!!

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    flax seeds (and probably chia too) Shoud be ground up before eating. You don't get the benefits of the seed if the shell is not broken. I just bought a coffee grinder to grind up my sees. works perfect
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You do not have to grind chia seeds.

I keep it pretty simple. Hemp hearts i usually just put on my salad, chia seeds I put in my yogurt or smoothies.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Love ground flax seed and cinnamon in my yogurt or oatmeal.

Whey protein in smoothies. I have even mixed it with some greek yogurt... Yummo! Tasted almost like pudding.
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax seed in my greek yogurt. I have been wanting to try chia seeds and hemp hearts too. Where did you buy them? I found the ground flax seed at Trader Joe's.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love flax seeds. I need to get some chia and hemp hearts! I like to put flax seeds on everything (once ground up of course), it adds a nutty flavor. It is great in oatmeal, cereal, in smoothies or even on stir-fry. Really, everything. Probably even ice cream.

And I recently started using whey and love it. I am becoming the smoothie queen.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that hemp seeds should be ground, because of the seed casing. If you buy hemp hearts (the inside of the seeds) you don't have to grind them. I use hemp hearts, because I'm lazy and I like the texture. They go really well in smoothies! With hemp hearts, you should start with a low amount (1 tsp maybe) and work your way up. Everyone's bowel responds differently. Drink lots of water!

Flax seeds are great in pretty much everything. I put them in smoothies, salads, pasta sauce, soup ... I sneak them in all over the place.
  • kprep
    kprep Posts: 11
    Options
    add chia seeds to liquid. let them sit and they absorb the liquid.
    follow the directions on the back of the whey. buy a blender bottle (its like a bottle with a whisk in it) and you use it to mix whey with the specified amount of liquid (usually 4-6oz per scoop of whey.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chia you do not grind but it gels so eat it quick! Also don't do what I do and just eat a tps of it you'll get them stuck to every part of the entire of your mouth!

Anyways chia seeds I put in - oatmeal, smoothies , protein shakes , salads
    Flax- ground in smoothies
    Hemp- smoothies /protein drink ( don't over use hemp hearts can be bad )
    Whey - smoothies , yogurt , baking ( search protein powder whey cookies/bars/brownies)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So can I just throw all the above in a smoothie in the morning? seems like smoothie was the most popular answer..lol.

How much do you use per day?

Sorry forgot to answer someone ...I bought it all at the bulk barn.
  • janel867
    janel867 Posts: 53
    Options
    I haven't ever tried hemp hearts or flax seeds but it sounds like I should :) I have chia seeds every day though...I usually just put them in a glass of water and squeeze some lemon then enjoy as an afternoon snack. I've also made "pudding" out of them by combining 1/4 cup chia, 1 cup almond milk plus whatever sweetener you like (I either use agave or nothing) and it's delicious. I buy my chia seeds at Trader Joe's.
  • rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia seeds on everything ... just sprinkle them on right before you eat. and Note: they do become gelatinous when combined with water. if you are vegan, I've heard of people mixing chia seeds with water to replace eggs in various recipes.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia seeds on everything ... just sprinkle them on right before you eat. and Note: they do become gelatinous when combined with water. if you are vegan, I've heard of people mixing chia seeds with water to replace eggs in various recipes.

You can use flax seeds as an egg replacement too
    http://milkallergymom.blogspot.com/2010/01/flaxseed-egg-replacer.html?m=1