My experience going 'paleo'

Options
Hey all,

From January 2nd to January 24th, I tried out my first "Whole30" for the paleo diet. I cut out all processed foods, grains, dairy, alcohol, beans, and added sugar.
What did I eat then? Lots and lots of lean meats and veggies, fruit, nuts, coconut products, etc. The best part of my experience was that there was no calorie counting involved, and everything was measured in your hands-- a serving of protein was the size and thickness of your palm, and fill the rest of your plate with as many veggies as you want.

It was something that, as a social eater and social person, was pretty tough to maintain. I lost 5lbs in 3 weeks, again, by eating however much I wanted as long as it followed those guidelines. I'm not suggesting this as something that's permanent, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it helped me to reshape how I thought about food (as fuel!!). My husband is also gluten intolerant, so it was a pretty easy transition for our house.

I slept better, had more energy, lifted heavier, and didn't have the afternoon slump! I've added back in a little dairy and some added sugars (and of course some days are better than others, cake is delicious after all), and feel pretty great.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried 'paleo' or Whole30? Or just likes to eat clean too? Would love to swap recipes!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The best part of my experience was that there was no calorie counting involved, and everything was measured in your hands-- a serving of protein was the size and thickness of your palm, and fill the rest of your plate with as many veggies as you want.

As long as you're in a deficit, yes. You can eat as many veggies as you want. If you're eating veggies in such an amount that results in a surplus, you'll gain weight (just like any other foods in a surplus). The number of calories you're consuming DOES matter.

I don't believe in restricting any foods that I don't have an allergy or intolerance to. I think it's unnecessary for weight loss and extreme.

That being said, here's some groups that will have like-minded people:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/621-the-primal-life-tips-from-the-cave

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/438-primal-paleo-challenges

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/852-paleo

Edit: Typo. :grumble:
  • rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've always wondered about the 'paleo' diet. I've done the Body Ecology diet which sounds somewhat similar, except with BED, you can eat four grains (quinoa, millet, amarenth, and buckwheat). So it's gluten free, and also free of: dairy (except for kefir, then later, yogurt), processed food, most beans and nuts (except soaked almonds), and any sugars. I don't eat meat, but I eat seafood so I wonder if the paleo will work for me. I guess I could try eating fish every day :)

the BED worked SO WELL for me! I never counted calories. I inadvertently lost 20 pounds (over about 6 months to 1 yr), I felt great and many health problems disappeared.

But like I said, I've always been interested in the paleo ...
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i'm almost positive our paleo ancestors drank alcohol. just sayin
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Whole30 right now. It's been three weeks as of today. I did it because I needed something to break my crazy addiction to candy. It sounded extreme but it was just what I needed. I was eating 500-700 cals a day in CANDY and certainly not losing weight (even though I was in a deficit - didn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind since a deficit should eventually equal weight loss but whatever).

My experience so far has been okay. The first couple weeks were difficult - cravings, lack of energy, hating everyone and wanting to kick puppies. But this week something just kinda snapped. Energy is here, finally. I feel great. I'm retaining strength in my training. And the best part - cravings are gone, I don't care about food, not even all that hungry over all. I'm not normally one to advocate any sort of deprivation regimen if it isn't needed but dang, I might stick with this or a paleo style of eating most of the time. I finally feel GOOD and I'm seeing results (clearer skin, less bloat, no indigestion, improved stamina and strength, better sleep, some fat loss, flatter tummeh, etc). :)
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    The best part of my experience was that there was no calorie counting involved, and everything was measured in your hands-- a serving of protein was the size and thickness of your palm, and fill the rest of your plate with as many veggies as you want.

As long as you're in a deficit, yes. You can eat as many veggies as you want. If you're eating veggies in such an amount that results in a surplus, you'll gain weight (just like any other foods in a surplus). The number of calories you're consuming DOES matter.

True, but it would be a ridiculous amount of veg to eat enough for a calorie surplus, not impossible, but surely not easy to do.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

True, but it would be a ridiculous amount of veg to eat enough for a calorie surplus, not impossible, but surely not easy to do.

exactly
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

From January 2nd to January 24th, I tried out my first "Whole30" for the paleo diet. I cut out all processed foods, grains, dairy, alcohol, beans, and added sugar.
    What did I eat then? Lots and lots of lean meats and veggies, fruit, nuts, coconut products, etc. The best part of my experience was that there was no calorie counting involved, and everything was measured in your hands-- a serving of protein was the size and thickness of your palm, and fill the rest of your plate with as many veggies as you want.

It was something that, as a social eater and social person, was pretty tough to maintain. I lost 5lbs in 3 weeks, again, by eating however much I wanted as long as it followed those guidelines. I'm not suggesting this as something that's permanent, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it helped me to reshape how I thought about food (as fuel!!). My husband is also gluten intolerant, so it was a pretty easy transition for our house.

I slept better, had more energy, lifted heavier, and didn't have the afternoon slump! I've added back in a little dairy and some added sugars (and of course some days are better than others, cake is delicious after all), and feel pretty great.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried 'paleo' or Whole30? Or just likes to eat clean too? Would love to swap recipes!

This is what I have been MOST curious about. If there's no calorie counting involved, then why do MFP?

(p.s. My husband is doing paleo and as a result I have "recipes" i guess you could say by default. I don't have time to write anything here but you are free FR me and then to peruse my Food Diary. Mostly around my dinners you'll find paleo'd meals. However sometimes I add things to his paleo meals like today for instance I added two things to make it into a "torta" sandwich. DISCLAIMER: In my newsfeed I am quite open about my feelings on the difficulty of his transition as perceived by me who is NOT paleo-ing. I have supportive friends and one of them even happened to be a paleo person when my husband decided to start his kick. I've found it to be extremely difficult to watch him put himself thru that as well as to tolerate his moods and other changes. Also I'm trying to eat right according to MY plan and it affects me. For that reason it's all in there sometimes. So judge for yourself if it's worth risking seeing me vent at times to have access to those food ideas. :flowerforyou:)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Great job!!!

I eat clean and it works for my body. If I stray I'm up 5 lbs overnight it's just how my body works. For now while I am losing and have my goal in sight I can stick to it. Once I hit maintenance I will begin to experiment and see what I can re-introduce into my diet successfully.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

great work. i'm glad you found what works for you!! and the fact that you are being respectful to your husbands allergy is great.
  • thisiknow0unknown
    Options

preach! ahahahha!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this particular diet myself but it sounds very refreshing! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Whole30 right now. It's been three weeks as of today. I did it because I needed something to break my crazy addiction to candy. It sounded extreme but it was just what I needed. I was eating 500-700 cals a day in CANDY and certainly not losing weight (even though I was in a deficit - didn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind since a deficit should eventually equal weight loss but whatever).

My experience so far has been okay. The first couple weeks were difficult - cravings, lack of energy, hating everyone and wanting to kick puppies. But this week something just kinda snapped. Energy is here, finally. I feel great. I'm retaining strength in my training. And the best part - cravings are gone, I don't care about food, not even all that hungry over all. I'm not normally one to advocate any sort of deprivation regimen if it isn't needed but dang, I might stick with this or a paleo style of eating most of the time. I finally feel GOOD and I'm seeing results (clearer skin, less bloat, no indigestion, improved stamina and strength, better sleep, some fat loss, flatter tummeh, etc). :)

I have nothing of any value to add to this thread, other than to thank OP for posting this topic because I have been reading the whole30 and am thinking about doing it in May even though it scares me silly, since I have a horrific sweet tooth. I am glad to hear that there is hope for someone like me! I eat pretty clean as it is now, but I really want to conquer my sweet tooth.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Fermenting fruits and grains (making beer out of it) is one of our oldest means of preserving food. Last I knew, archeologists had found beer-making stuff in the middle east 1000's of years before the Egyptians, whose commoners drank beer as the largest calorie source in their diet (built the pyramids on the stuff).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I don't believe in restricting any foods that I don't have an allergy or intolerance to. I think it's unnecessary for weight loss and extreme.

That being said, here's some groups that will have like-minded people:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/621-the-primal-life-tips-from-the-cave

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/438-primal-paleo-challenges

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/852-paleo

Edit: Typo. :grumble:

I don't mean to disagree with you but my husband who spent lots of time researching maintains that no you do not need to be worrying about calories, "deficits" and the like. This is part of my frustration/fear of it. Unclear rules and people seeming to be in direct contradiction with one another?

Can you help me understand why one paleo person would say one thing and another would say what seems to be the complete opposite?:flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Did anyone threaten to divorce you or want you banished from their life during that time? Do they still seem to carry resentment over however they may have felt they got treated during that time? Just wondering because I felt that way and said those things while watching someone close to me through this transition period which I'm not sure he is completely through but pray to God he is. Hope you are on smooth sailing now....and stay that way. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

exactly
    So ridiculously much that calorie counting would then be unnecessary?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb paleo/primal due to allergies and PCOS/insulin resistance. I've been eating this way for around 8 months now.

I think the first thing to clear up is that there is no one way to do paleo or primal. There are countless books, all containing different variations on the theme. We are all our own N=1 experiment, so it's really a matter of finding what works best for us as individuals. Some of us eat a lot more carbs than others. Some eat a lot more fats. Some of us eat dairy, some don't. Some count calories, others don't want or need to. Some of us favour gentle exercise, and others are CrossFit maniacs. Some are eating this way to ease serious health problems, and others are quite healthy. Some are losing weight, others aren't. There's a whole spectrum of different applications of "paleo" or "primal" ways of eating....I think of this as being similar to how there are different sorts of vegetarians and vegans.

I absolutely count ALL my calories, as they do indeed matter for me. I'm still overweight. I also watch my protein intake because if left to my own devices, I don't usually make it to where I need to be. Tracking works for me. I am hormonally challenged, though certainly not anywhere near as bad as I was, so I've got a different situation than someone who is already lean and in great shape hormonally.

I'm not in favour of dietary dogma of any sort--in fact, it creeps me out to no end! Similarly, I'm not a gung-ho paleo cheerleader, nor am I one of those people who calls it my "lifestyle". I eat this way out of necessity, otherwise I find myself kind of unwell. I do feel great these days, by the way! I have been rather successful at managing my blood sugar and clearing up a whole bunch of other issues I was having, which were mostly related to my food sensitivities.

I view paleo/primal ways of eating as a framework for how I choose my food, rather than a strict set of rules I must follow. The bottom line is that I eat what I know nourishes me and makes me feel good, what I can afford, and what I want to eat. I'm the only one who can be the judge of that.

The paleo/primal boom has been good for me in that I don't have to feel like a total freak because I can't eat certain foods. There are tons of great recipes, and lots of really interesting research and discussion about the nutritional aspects involved in eating this way, so I like that about it. However, I could really do without all the "caveman" discussion and the evangelical, judgemental weirdness that is demonstrated by so many of the paleo/primal enthusiasts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I eat low carb paleo/primal due to allergies and PCOS/insulin resistance. I've been eating this way for around 8 months now.

I think the first thing to clear up is that there is no one way to do paleo or primal. There are countless books, all containing different variations on the theme. We are all our own N=1 experiment, so it's really a matter of finding what works best for us as individuals. Some of us eat a lot more carbs than others. Some eat a lot more fats. Some of us eat dairy, some don't. Some count calories, others don't want or need to. Some of us favour gentle exercise, and others are CrossFit maniacs. Some are eating this way to ease serious health problems, and others are quite healthy. Some are losing weight, others aren't. There's a whole spectrum of different applications of "paleo" or "primal" ways of eating....I think of this as being similar to how there are different sorts of vegetarians and vegans.

I absolutely count ALL my calories, as they do indeed matter for me. I'm still overweight. I also watch my protein intake because if left to my own devices, I don't usually make it to where I need to be. Tracking works for me. I am hormonally challenged, though certainly not anywhere near as bad as I was, so I've got a different situation than someone who is already lean and in great shape hormonally.

I'm not in favour of dietary dogma of any sort--in fact, it creeps me out to no end! Similarly, I'm not a gung-ho paleo cheerleader, nor am I one of those people who calls it my "lifestyle". I eat this way out of necessity, otherwise I find myself kind of unwell. I do feel great these days, by the way! I have been rather successful at managing my blood sugar and clearing up a whole bunch of other issues I was having, which were mostly related to my food sensitivities.

I view paleo/primal ways of eating as a framework for how I choose my food, rather than a strict set of rules I must follow. The bottom line is that I eat what I know nourishes me and makes me feel good, what I can afford, and what I want to eat. I'm the only one who can be the judge of that.

The paleo/primal boom has been good for me in that I don't have to feel like a total freak because I can't eat certain foods. There are tons of great recipes, and lots of really interesting research and discussion about the nutritional aspects involved in eating this way, so I like that about it. However, I could really do without all the "caveman" discussion and the evangelical, judgemental weirdness that is demonstrated by so many of the paleo/primal enthusiasts.
    ^this sounds healthy. as in a healthy attitude.

also regarding the bold parts. it seems then that if there is a whole spectrum on how people choose to do it, there would naturally develop a tolerance among paleo eaters of all their individual styles and ways. Thus, there should be no naysaying of other people who choose to eat a cupcake sometimes, n'est-ce pas?
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Did anyone threaten to divorce you or want you banished from their life during that time? Do they still seem to carry resentment over however they may have felt they got treated during that time? Just wondering because I felt that way and said those things while watching someone close to me through this transition period which I'm not sure he is completely through but pray to God he is. Hope you are on smooth sailing now....and stay that way. :flowerforyou:

Naw - husband is doing it with me. He had worse cravings and mood swings than me. We spent a lot of time *****ing about what we couldn't eat. He was a jerk to the kids and me sometimes but he quickly realized what he was doing and apologized and worked to change his attitude. I'm not gonna say it was a cakewalk - there were times we were both ready to say eff it and eat all the foodz. But we made it through the rough weeks and seriously feel so much better now. He's actually talking about continuing this way of eating because of how good he feels. *zomg*
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options

Fermenting fruits and grains (making beer out of it) is one of our oldest means of preserving food. Last I knew, archeologists had found beer-making stuff in the middle east 1000's of years before the Egyptians, whose commoners drank beer as the largest calorie source in their diet (built the pyramids on the stuff).

Plenty of animals seek out fermenting fruit, so it's not a stretch to think our ancestors would have done the same.

I think any diet that cuts out caffeine (some people are especially sensitive to caffeine), fills you up with lots of vitamin and mineral rich vegetables (which might correct low level deficiencies that come from diets heavy on processed foods) and contains plenty of fibre (which you might not have eaten in large quantities beforehand) is going to make you feel good. I felt just as good while eating a low fat vegan diet. Calorie counting was mostly unnecessary - except when I felt like binging - because the lack of variety and conveniently available foods means you're unlikely to go over your limits.

Any diet that limits calories will work. Any diet that is so restrictive that it prevents you from getting your allotted calories anywhere but your own kitchen will be especially effective. Until it isn't. Is paleo special? Maybe, if your diet beforehand was lacking in vitamins, minerals, fibre and you were sensitive to caffeine.