It's On - Signed up for my first 5k!!!!

Options
I just signed up for my first 5k ever. It is on June 29th.

Any runners have tips on how to get going so I'm not the slowest one on the course come June. I was thinking of doing that couch to 5k program. I have been working out but just doing classes. No running.

I really can't believe I'm going to do this. I'm not a runner by nature but maybe I'll get hooked and love running 5k's.

Replies

• Kathleen360
    Kathleen360 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I'm considering signing up for a 5k being held here in town, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've heard that c25k (Couch to 5k) is an excellent program. Personally, i've been using Zombies, Run! 5k training with my husband. It has a bit of a storyline to it which helps with my motivation issues. ;) It does cost though. I believe there are a number of free c25k apps out there as well.

Good luck!
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE C25K. I've never been a jogger, let alone a runner, but I really really like the C25K program.

I'm right there with you, I signed up for 3 5k's for this summer. I'm totally pumped. :)
  • traej1973
    traej1973 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great! I am almost finished with the program. I have not been sore since week one. It is only three days a week so I don't feel pressured. I am currently running 2.5 miles!! I was not a runner either but needed a challenge. Good luck with your 5K. My first is April 24!!! So excited.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!! It will give you a goal to shoot for....
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    By all means do C25K for sure. Racing is so much fun and it doesn't matter what place you come in, it's the finish that counts.
    Best advice to you: Sign up for another race befotre you do the first one.

Good Luck and Have a Blast!!
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congrats in advance! I agree with the others, the C25K program works really well, but if you go to Runkeeper, they also have some pretty good training plans/programs! Good luck!
  • alli4350
    alli4350 Posts: 38
    Options
    C25K is a great program! I'm not a runner either and I ran my first 5k/obstacle course last month. My second is this Saturday!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I really wish I had couch to 5k when I started running. I now see it's value as it trains up your body for the rigors of running. My cardio was fine for my first race but my legs ACHED afterwards because I hadn't worked the rest of my body around my lungs to the effort.

Do the program and you'll be more than fine/ready.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    woot, woot! Good luck! Sorry, I do not have any really specific advice, but just build slowly. Walk/run at first. If you like more of a structured plan, I know on the internet you can find weekly work outs to get you 5k-ready in 10 weeks.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for you. Running has added so much to my life. Be sure to make it a priority and do it for yourself. Joining a group a great way to get started. I have meet so many great supportive people that I never would have meet otherwise.

All you should have for the first race is:
    Goal 1 - Make it to the start (you have stayed with your program and are not injured) a BIG accomplishment
    Goal 2 - finish.

After the first one then you have a new goals of getting a new PR. It is addictive.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program... I've never finished LOL .. because I get bored... but I've gotten to week 5 four times ha ha (I'm such a slacker)

I'm doing 3 - 5Ks this year and 2 mud runs...

As soon as the weather starts cooperating I plan on restarting the program.

However, I also love Zombies Run if you have a smart phone, it's not a program persay (although they do have a 5K app now), but it's a fun running program.
  • dlsm03
    dlsm03 Posts: 2
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great! I suggest Googling for the free podcasts that are out there so you can follow the plan easily. Lots of options to fit different tastes in music. I also suggest icing hips/knees/ankles/shins after stretching even if they aren't bothering you. It really helps!

The biggest lesson I learned at my first 5K was you spend time and exert energy running around people no matter what your pace is so plan accordingly. Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also suggest C25K

All the best!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I never knew you were supposed to train for 5K's. My first 5K almost 3 years ago I just ran and never trained. You could maybe try the treadmill or jog/run. Not sure if that helps.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K. Be ready, it'll be fun. Good luck.
  • lorriejharrell
    lorriejharrell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up for my first as well! In fact, it's this Saturday!! I've never been a runner either, but so many people told me that it's a wonderful way to lose weight. So, after my daughter in law got into running, she convinced me to do this upcoming one with her. I started running on the treadmill, building up slowly. I would walk, then jog as long as could,then walk some more. I also did some other forms of cardio & a little strength training. There are so many little "secrets" to running, such as getting your breathing correct, and striking with the ball of your foot instead of the heel. I went online & googled some tips, which have helped me. I started training like this sometime in February & so far my best time has been 33:20 for the 3.1 miles. I can jog almost the entire time. So much better than I ever thought I would do. So my advice would be to read up on some running tips, & then use your treadmill or get outside & just do it! Good luck to you!!!!!