Healthy Snacking with Food Intolerances

Options
I always read about healthy eating involving snacking on things like nuts. I don't want to go overboard on fruits and veg, but I have a peanut and tree nut allergies.

What ideas does this community have for healthy snacks?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally I like an ounce or so of cheese if I need or want a snack.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love homemade hummus, I'll dip carrot sticks or Wheat Thins in it.
  • drugrug
    drugrug Posts: 50
    Options
    Smart Balance Popcorn Light Butter! It's so good and the serving size is 4 cups popped for only 100 calories. I like to add Sriacha sauce to it when I'm in the mood for something spicy.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I love homemade hummus, I'll dip carrot sticks or Wheat Thins in it.

beat me to it. hummus all the way, a million variations, make it yourself it's dirt cheap.

edamome is really good too.

you could also do a snack size version of something you eat at another meal
    mini burritio of some kind
    1 scramble egg with whatever veggies or flavors you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/838001-88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • ecc4912
    ecc4912 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have nut allergies too. I tend to snack on Weight Watchers String Cheese or a generic 50 calorie string cheese. Dannon has 80 Calorie Yogurt Cups, regular or Greek Yogurt. If you have an Aldis near you, they have a chocolate chip granola bar, only 100 calories, that's nut free.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    this is from a vegan blog. many of her recipes are so simple, with pictures of course :)
    she has a whole nut free section, pages and pages, but many of them are snacks.
    http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-allergies/allergies-nut-free/
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    beans (chick peas, soy beans), yogurt, cheese, veggies that aren't starchy, lower sugar fruits (like berries) or natural dried or freezedried fruits (no sugar added), beef or turkey jerky, protein powder/shakes, and like chips and crackers and such aren't all bad, it's about moderation and choosing the best kind you can, whole grain, maybe rice crackers (super low cal) stuff like that.
    But for protein you're looking at beans, dairy, jerky, and shakes for things that will be low in "bad" things
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Blue chips and homemade slow cooker pinto beans.
    Popcorn
    Smoothie
    Greek Yogurt
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Bread and peanut butter