Should I be eating my burned workout calories??

Options
Can anyone tell me if I am suppose to consume the calories that I burn working out?? I haven't been doing so, but then I have been told that I should be, so I'm confused. Anyone have an answer??

Replies

• mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr. a couple of days ago and she said if you eat your calories back then you will maintain your weight, since I still need to lose I shouldn't eat them back, but if you are at a standstill then increase your calories for a bit to jumpstart it again
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if I am suppose to consume the calories that I burn working out?? I haven't been doing so, but then I have been told that I should be, so I'm confused. Anyone have an answer??

I'm no expert on this BUT..

When you set up your nutrition goals, mfp calculates how many calories you should eat taking into consideration any calories you will burn due to the nature of your day to day life and level of activity AND a deficit to give you your targeted weight loss..So therefore, your exercise calories are a bigger deficit if you don't eat them back.

some people eat them back, ALL of them, some only eat half, some none at all...

when I started mfp, I wouldn't touch my precious exercise calories, and the weight came off and went back on right away when I hit my goal. Now, i eat back most, even all of my exercise calories and my weight loss has been steady and I never feel hungry or deprived of food.

try eating back your exercise calories or at least some of them, and see how you feel.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    From what I understand I think it depends on your activity level in MFP. If you have it on sedentary or lightly active then feel free to eat them back as the deficit is already built in for you (that is how MFP is set up). But if you have it set up differently, such as your TDEE less 20%, then you should not eat them back as your exercise is already accounted for (as most other apps are set up). If anyone else has any other info please chime in :)
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The answer: it depends.

If, like me, you set up your calorie goals such that it doesn't include most of your exercise (set up as sedentary; also my exercise is irregular and big - 1100 calories or so), then you probably should. I know if I don't eat a lot after a hockey game, I would expire from hunger.

If you set up your calories goals as active, based on your regular exercise, then you probably shouldn't, unless it is way out of the ordinary (normally jog 2 miles, and today you did 20).

MFP is certainly set up with the assumption that you will eat them back, but you don't have to.
  • jsparry1
    jsparry1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's feedback, it helps. I have had good success so far & I don't eat back my workout calories but I worry I will get to a point where my body will start holding on to the calories I consume & then I won't lose weight, and on MFP it never really clarified whether we should consume the workout calories burned or not, so this helps.
  • chichibaby85
    chichibaby85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been eating some of mine back..I think one of the main reasons I exercise is so I can eat what I want..lol I gotta do better though lately I've been at a stand still and I'm to blame.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP YES
    if you are following TDEE-?% then most likely NO
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Look at your Net Calories after exercise. You need to eat at least up to your BMI or a little over. You may lose by not doing this but then you'll start gaining because your body won't be getting enough nutrients. Read through the Roadmap here. Read and study it! It will help you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862621-2013-followers-of-the-road-map
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr. a couple of days ago and she said if you eat your calories back then you will maintain your weight, since I still need to lose I shouldn't eat them back, but if you are at a standstill then increase your calories for a bit to jumpstart it again

Your doctor doesn't understand how MFP works. You are supposed to eat your burned calories because a deficit is already calculated for you.