TRX, Bands, or Simple Bodyweight?

Options
My wife and I have recently started our weight loss journeys. At the moment, we are just working our way through the C25k program for cardio, but would like to add some strength training on down days. We live in a fairly small apartment and don't have a ton of room, but enough to do most things. We are debating at the moment what the best solution is for us. We are primarily discussing buying either TRX or a set of Bodylastics, or simply following an entirely bodyweight program. Our main goals at the moment are just weight loss and building some simple functional muscle. It seems there are a lot of opinions out there on this and I was just looking for some more :). Also, for whatever type you think we should go with, what routines would you recommend? We have to problem paying to get routines if we need to.

Thanks!

Replies

• nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why not start with BW since it's free?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I haven't spent much time checking out the body weight exercises, which are wonderfully free, because I can't do tricep dips, I have just now gotten to where I can do girlie pushups, etc.

In the meantime, I am using resistance tubes. This is partly because I have a game on my Wii that incorporates resistance bands/tubes.

Really, all three have similar pro's: they are light, store easily, and travel well. The body weight activities win in all three categories and they are free. Heck, I think even the app is like $2.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have recently started our weight loss journeys. At the moment, we are just working our way through the C25k program for cardio, but would like to add some strength training on down days. We live in a fairly small apartment and don't have a ton of room, but enough to do most things. We are debating at the moment what the best solution is for us. We are primarily discussing buying either TRX or a set of Bodylastics, or simply following an entirely bodyweight program. Our main goals at the moment are just weight loss and building some simple functional muscle. It seems there are a lot of opinions out there on this and I was just looking for some more :). Also, for whatever type you think we should go with, what routines would you recommend? We have to problem paying to get routines if we need to.

Thanks!

I do Suspension training (TRX type stuff) but the one I use is not TRX. TRX is overpriced. I use the Jungle Gym XT, better and cheaper IMO. The TRX does have a few advantages over it but they mainly only apply to beginning users. Once you progress beyond beginner level the dual anchor design outperforms single anchor. Of course you can't go wrong with basic bodyweight. I've been using the Jungle Gym XT as my primary form of exercise for about a year and a half now and it hasn't done me wrong.
  • HeavyDutyDev
    HeavyDutyDev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess our main concern regarding straight bodyweight is making sure we can work out everything we need, keep it challenging (but not too challenging, e.g., we can't do pull-ups), and finding a solid workout routine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with bodyweight exercises. Pushups, tricep dips, various types of squats and lunges, burpees, planks. When I started I couldn't even do one regular pushup. Now I can do 20 in one set and several sets at a time. I started doing them against my desk and just kept improving.

I'm going to start working on pullups soon, but I have to get a bar first.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I guess our main concern regarding straight bodyweight is making sure we can work out everything we need, keep it challenging (but not too challenging, e.g., we can't do pull-ups), and finding a solid workout routine.

Suspension training is the reason I can now do pullups despite still being overweight =)
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    Look into the book "You Are Your Own Gym". It is awesome. It is all body weight exercises and it also has some other great info in it.
  • ellewiz71
    ellewiz71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! Resistance training is a great idea. I've been working out with TRX for a while now. It's great if you're just getting started because you can adjust your position to make the moves easier or harder based on your individual fitness.

I would advise having at least a couple sessions with a certified trainer (try searching their site). I tried working out with it alone at home, but when I started working with a trainer, she showed me a lot of modifications that I just didn't know I should be doing. And it improved the effectiveness of my workouts a hundred times over. A lot of gyms have TRX's now too, so maybe get a session or two with a certified trainer, and use videos and workouts online at home to supplement that.

Good luck!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd save my money and just do home strength training. Check this out, I think this will be a big help to you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

I love Scooby, he's fun to listen to and seems like a really nice guy. I am confident that as a beginner, this simple routine that requires almost no equipment will really help you out. He demonstrates all the moves. It's 3 days per week and it should be very easy to fit your c25k around it, no problem. I can't overemphasize the importance of some strength training for runners, especially new ones.

I don't want to confuse you because Scooby is so simple, but if you're interested, here is a thread I made about strength training for new runners:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921236-guide-to-strength-for-new-runners?hl=beginner+run+strength#posts-13980461

Also, feel free to check out my crappy advice for new runners from someone who has completed c25k and gone on to do much more running (and been injured):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/805724-want-to-run-do-it-some-crappy-advice-from-a-newbie?hl=crappy+advice

Make sure you ask your Doctor before starting any new routines!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I love my suspension straps but I wouldn't recommend spending $200 on TRX. I got mine (Trainer In A Bag) for $22. It is more portable and easily mounted to the ceiling instead of using a door. I love that all the exercises can be modified depending on your strength level.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodylastic bands and like them, they're very durable and quick to change/add resistance to, easy to store and travel with. Only negative is the giant clasp attachment gives me black and blue marks on my arms.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    There are tons of advanced workouts you can do, and anytime you need it to be more challenging, simply make part of the workout or the exercise you're doing plyometric- jump training.
    jump squats
    jump lunges
    side to side jumping
    lateral skaters- speed skaters
    to name a few
  • HeavyDutyDev
    HeavyDutyDev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! Super awesome to have such a wonderful, helpful community. I think we might go with a combo of the Junjle Gym XT and standard bodyweight work. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all exercises are possible with the wall or door mount with the XT? I would love to just mount it to the ceiling, and we have the space, but I have a horrific image of breaking the floor joists and having me neighbors fall through on me.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Why wouldn't you recommend this? I was thinking about buying the kit.
    I love my suspension straps but I wouldn't recommend spending $200 on TRX. I got mine (Trainer In A Bag) for $22. It is more portable and easily mounted to the ceiling instead of using a door. I love that all the exercises can be modified depending on your strength level.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! Super awesome to have such a wonderful, helpful community. I think we might go with a combo of the Junjle Gym XT and standard bodyweight work. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all exercises are possible with the wall or door mount with the XT? I would love to just mount it to the ceiling, and we have the space, but I have a horrific image of breaking the floor joists and having me neighbors fall through on me.

You will have to do some modifications once you reach a higher strength/fitness level as exercises requiring a significantly higher degree of strength can only be done with an overhead anchor point. There are ways around this but the exercise selection is different at advanced levels. At beginner to intermediate though it doesn't matter.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you recommend this? I was thinking about buying the kit.

I just wouldn't recommend spending $200 when you can get basically the same equipment for $25.