Need Chicken Marinade Ideas

Options
Help? I've got 4 chicken thighs I need to cook before they get freezer burned.

Anybody have marinade recipes that aren't loaded with sugar or fat?

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Try brushing them with olive oil and then rub your favorite herbs and spices on them.
  • deannasw
    deannasw Posts: 47
    Options
    Soy sauce
    Shallots
    Jack Daniels

Just mix to smell. Usually about 1/4 c each of the liquid and one shallot should be fine.

Lite italian dressing is always a good fall back.
    Lemon Juice
    Garlic powder
    Salt
    Olive Oil
    orange slices
    Sprinkle CAVENDERS on it and let it sit. no liquid needed!

I hope those help you get started.!!! I usually just look around the kitchen and see what I have the smells good. I only had red wine once, and man did it make the chicken taste fabulous... BUT unless you can stomach purple chicken, I wouldn't recommend it. Looked soooo bizarre!
  • CarolinaGirl74
    Options
    I like to use Light Italian salad dressing. Very tasty!
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I use just a little extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, choped garlic and lemon pepper to taste. I use this to marinate my chicken and then grill it. It is always a big hit with my hubby and son!
  • mowryann
    mowryann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use salsa...fresh or Pace Picante...Mmmmmm! Throw chicken and salsa or Pace in crockpot and cook on low until done. Very tasty and next to NOOOO calories added (maybe 10, maybe!!) Enjoy
  • amyepugh
    amyepugh Posts: 3
    Options
    This one is my favorite and my picky husband likes it too!

3 lbs . chicken thighs (bone-in) or 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs
    2 cups buttermilk
    1/4 cup EVOO
    2 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
    1 tablespoon crushed peppercorns
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or 11/2 teaspoons table salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon maple syrup

Directions
    1.Place the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and add the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of oil.
    2.Add the bruised garlic cloves to the bag with the crushed peppercorns and salt.
    3.Sprinkle in the ground cumin and finally add the maple syrup, and then squish everything in the freezer bag around to mix the marinade and coat the chicken.
    4. Shake off marinade before cooking. Roast or grill chicken and enjoy!
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    I like to use Light Italian salad dressing. Very tasty!

That was exactly my suggestion... it is AWESOME!!! We use tyhat for pork chops, too, and then cook them on the grill... yummy!!!
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm asking this nicely, but aren't the drumsticks already loaded with fat?
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just put the chicken in the pan with some water, garlic, onion, rosemary, salt and pepper (all to your taste). Let the water cook out a few times so you get the browning process.....................mmmmm and no margerine or butter involved, just chicken:)
  • kkelch
    kkelch Posts: 1
    Options
    You can also season with your choice of seasoning and wrap with turkey bacon....very tasty!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :happy: :drinker:
    have you tried these?
    Basic Honey Barbeque
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup tomato ketchup
    2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
    2 Tbsp honey
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp hot sauce (or more, to taste)
    Instructions
    Combine all ingredients (except hot sauce) with wire whisk. Taste before adding hot sauce, and add gradually to ensure spiciness fits your personal taste. Marinate chicken 1 ½ hours before grilling.

Orange Ginger Marinade
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup unsweetened orange juice
    2 Tbsp orange marmalade
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp grated ginger
    1/2 tsp grated orange zest
    ½ tsp fresh black pepper
    1/4 tsp salt
    Instructions
    Combine all ingredients. Marinate chicken 30-45 minutes in airtight container or zip-lock bag before grilling. Brush chicken with excess marinade periodically during cooking.
  • alphaip
    Options
    If you throw them out, you'll save 22grams of fat for every 8 Oz. serving:blushing:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    If you throw them out, you'll save 22grams of fat for every 8 Oz. serving:blushing:

I'm also saying asking this nicely: Do you think that you can't eat normal food and lose weight?

1 chicken thigh (no skin -- I hate the skin anyway) is 130 calories & 7 grams of fat
    1 drumstick (again, no skin) is 76 calories & 2 grams fat

Both are totally reasonable additions to a dinner meal. If you read my original post, I'm only making thighs. But even adding the drumstick I'm below my calorie & fat goals.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use:

1-2 tbs fresh lemon juice
    1 tbs mustard
    1 tsp olive oil
    kosher salt
    coarse ground pepper
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    1 Word . . . . . .

PESTO
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Natural yogurt
    cumin
    coriander
    tumeric
    leave overnight if poss
  • chicletgirl
    chicletgirl Posts: 113
    Options
    I need more recipes for my crock pot that I can use for a low carb diet. Your chicken/salsa sounds good. Could you tell me how much salsa/chicken you use and how long you cook it for. Thanks!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Im making this with boneless, skinless breasts, but it can work for you, too :)
    Brown the thighs in EVOO. set aside in glassd baking dish
    add 8oz Fat Free cream cheese, 3/4 cup white wine, and 1 can healthy request cream of mushroom soup to pan. melt cream cheese and mix ingredients together. sprinkle in one packet of Good Season's Italian Dressing seasonings, or one packet of Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic seasonings into the mixture. Stir til all ingredients are blended. Pour over chicken in the baking dish. Bake on 350 for an hour or til chicken is no longer pink.

YUMMM. I have this with 1 cup of broccoli florets and 1 cup of wild rice and the whole meal is 500 cals and SUPER filling. LOVE it :)
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    pineapple juice
    lime juice
    grilling spices such as caribbean or jerk

ratios are all up to taste.
  • alphaip
    Options
    Sorry - As I reread my reply, it sounds curt and trite - so my apologies - not intended to offend - did not realize you deleted my original post - just thought it was lost - so i posted again real fast. I do think you can lose weight eating normal food. In fact, without the skin it's only about 35% fat, but I've had trouble losing at that level. It doesn't seem that I can lose eating when my diet is over 15 to 20% of my calories from fat. I was looking at the original post, and it just looked like to me you were trying to avoid the fat.

If you like spicy, I've loved spraying a bit of olvie oil on chicken, coating with Zatarains Blackened Seasoning, and hitting it for 60 seconds on each side in a hot iron skillet before baking.

My other favorite is Bourbon Peppercorn marinade from Kroger. It does have some sugar and calories, but most of it gets dumped down the drain and is not absorbed in the chicken - maybe 25 calories.