Does walking work?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlesLadd
    Options
    In the past seven months, aside from shoveling snow (more times this winter than I care to think about), the only exercise I have gotten is from walking, either on the track above the gym at the local Y or on a treadmill. I wish it had been walking the dog on the county road, but not here in Wisconsin November-March. On the track I walk from 30 to 45 minutes at a pace of 4.0 to 4.5 miles an hour. On the treadmill I walk at a 3.5 mile an hour pace at an incline of 10 (of 15 possible). So I burn about 300-400 calories walking, 5 to 6 days a week. Does walking work? With a reasonable net calorie deficit and this exercise I have lost 38 pounds in 19 weeks, from early November to mid March. From 240 to 202 pounds. My blood pressure is now 118/66 with a pulse rate of 62 (essentially the same the last three times I took it). I sleep more soundly, feel much better,

I am convinced that there are three factors that will guarantee weight loss: a calorie deficit (but no less than 1,200 calories a day, I maintain a net of about 1,500), exercise to keep the metabolism up, and time. The most destructive factor to staying on track is expecting or wanting quick results, and getting down when the scale doesn't show constant improvement. Keep the calorie deficit, keep up the activity, and give it time. There is no real magic to it. Yes, walking is enough, at least for me.

All that said, and one more thing. Do it to live a more healthy life, make it a life-style change, for the rest of your life. Don't treat it as a "project" (read that "diet"). Many people think they will eventually reach some predetermined goal, and then celebrate and return to destructive ways. We have all done it. That is how I got to 240 pounds again. Never again, for me.

I wish everyone the success I have had this winter. :flowerforyou:
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise and lots of fun. A few things I suggest which help me burn extra calories (I burn about 600-800 a day) is I use a gymboss to regulate my speed and to help push me to keep going faster. I also use music designed to keep you going. I only listen to Christian music but they have all genres (http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Workout-Hits-Best-Songs/dp/B006P7I9MI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363924069&sr=8-1&keywords=christian+workout+music I have both 2012 & 2013 -- 2013 isn't as good as 2012 in my opinion and every now and then the music sounds like my gymboss which can be frustrating!)

They say adding ski poles increases your calorie burn too. I've never done this. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I have built muscle. My recommendation is to start out walking and getting into the habit of exercising daily and then add some stregnth training. Lifting weights before you walk will increase your productivity.

I guess that's it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic workout. I used to walk during work lunches and it kept me in great shape at that time. Better fat burn, imo.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump for later
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it works very well. Start with what you can comfortably do and slowly add distance and increase your pace. It is an exercise that you can do everyday of the week. That's how I started. After a couple of months, look into the C25k program to begin jogging/running.
  • MelaniPearl
    Options
    I walk everyday for at least 30 minutes and strongly believe it has some types of benefits. After I had my daughter I kept on some of the baby weight for months. I started to walk everyday for 40 minutes and the pounds were shedding off.
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    Options
    Walking is better than nothing.. That's true.
  • Katychla
    Katychla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great responses, guys!! Keep em coming!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a serene enjoyable place to walk
    Someplace where you can enjoy the Trees, Birds, Flowers, Streams, Lakes
    Less Traffic, especially just starting out
    A Bike Path perhaps
    Someplace with Hills
    You can also find out if your community has a Group that get 2gether and do challenges together
    Its Great Support
    You'd be surprised how many Community Member's there are.
  • tntgal2
    tntgal2 Posts: 26
    Options
    most of my exercise is from walking. I walk as little as 15 min to as much as 3 hours depending on the day. Since September 1 2012 I have lost 46 lbs. I have been a walker for the last 17 years but it was only when I reduced my cals did I reall start losing. I lost 4.2 lbs in the first week on here at 1500 cals a day. I have 12 more to lose to have a healthy BMI. I hear walking is better then running its easier on the knees

I had the same experience. In May 2012 I decided to take responsibility back for my health. I think most of my weight loss is from diet changes, but I walk 6 days a week. During the week I go before work, usually for about 35 minutes. On the weekends, I'll get in at least one longer walk - usually anywhere from 5 to 10 miles. I think you actually need more discipline to be a "good" exercise walker - if you don't focus, it's easy to just dawdle along. I alternate through the week - a day at a steady, fast tempo (probably 3.75 mph), a day with good hills to give me more of a cardio push, a day with real hard intervals alternating with recovery, a slower day after the big weekend walk, etc. I bought the app Walkmeter and for me it's like a coach on the iPhone, and I like competing against my best times. I'm sure there are other good free apps that let you easily record your times and distance and so on if that helps motivate you. I also do some weights for my arms (lots of good Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPJnzxVEH8 is an example). I ran years ago and hated it. If you like walking, you'll stick with it! Good luck!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have lost 81 pounds mostly walking. I ride a bicycle occasionally, when the weather cooperates, but the walking is what is getting the job done. I also try to eat as well as I can and count calories, etc., and of course that is important too. When I first started, I could hardly get around the block-had to stop multiple times, in fact. Now I do anywhere from 4 to 10 miles a day on most days.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for your health. Swimming, bicycling,tennis,weight lifting, etc, etc. Exercise is good for your body in many ways. Cutting down calories is necessary for weight loss. But YES walking does work.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i have terrible joints, especially for an 18 year old, so i can walk briskly but trying to jog or run is too much for my knees and ankles to handle. i walk on a treadmill daily, between a 10 and 15(max) incline and 3.8-4.1 pace. varying from 30-60 minutes a day. I've lost 55 pounds doing this. i would disagree with anyone that says walking does nothing (:

I am exactly like this. :flowerforyou:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yes. Not as fast as running and other more strenuous cardio but make sure you are not walking "leisurely". You need to feel your heartbeat pick up a little at a brisk pace. I brisk walk around my neighborhood with short jogging distances like "i'll jog to the green house" which gives myself a little boost in heartrate.

Also, you really need to make sure you're doing some weight training so you can tone your muscles as you go - you'll be much happier with the results.