Do you lose weight based on the net calorie goal?

Options
What i mean to say is, do we lose weight if our net calories for the day is less than or equal the goal that myfitnesspal provides? Like on one day, I had a net of -95 and the next my net was 1190, and today it was 355....and my goal is 1330 per day...Can someone please just expand on this idea? Thanks!

Also, one more question...is it better to do 1-1.5 hrs of cardio in one go, or split it up in between exercises? like maybe 30-45 minutes at first, then go do some floor stuff for 30 minutes and come back to cardio for 30-45 minutes? or should I just keep it short? I'm trying to lose weight fast! :) Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In general, it's not recommended that you net less than the number MFP sets you at. So if they say you should be eating 1330 calories to lose weight, and you exercise to burn 400, they expect you to eat 1730 to keep your net near the 1330 calorie point. If you burn 1000 calories through exercise, they'd expect you to eat 2330.

Does that help?

I can't help on the cardio question, sorry!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your net should be 1330 - it should match your goal. Having a negative net is like trying to drive your car w/no gas - your body needs fuel to work properly.
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    I have personally found that I cannot eat back my exercise calories. I personally need to keep my gross caloric intake at 1200 with my net less than that or I lose no weight. I'm not sure why- though i suspect that either I am overestimating my burn or underestimating my calories consumed.
  • kunalelete
    Options
    Thank you...that was really helpful!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes, I most definitely lose weight that way.

Note that I set my calorie goal based on being sedentary. When I exercise, it is not every day, and it is often a lot of calories (my daily goal is around 1750, and I can burn as much as 1100, as measured with an HRM). Other times it is just a couple of hundred. But I almost always eat them.