Only NSV's... the scale won't move!

Options
This is really just a bit of a rant, as I'm frustrated!!

I know that I'm getting fitter, I can see that my legs and arms aren't as wobbly. I saw my brother on Monday who works FIFO (fly in fly out, one week on one week off) so I haven't seen him for a couple of weeks, who mentioned that my arms and shoulders are looking more toned. I got up and jogged/walked 18km (11.2 miles) just because I had time the other day and thought I could probably do it. Yet no matter what I am achieving, the scale refuses to move! I am 6ft and 83kg (183pounds), there is plenty of fat to come off, it's not like I am a petite person just trying to tone, I really need to lose weight and it just doesn't seem to be happening for me.

I know I should be happy that I am getting stronger and healthier, and I know the scale will move in time, it's just that after months and a total lifestyle change with what seems like no progress is disheartening. I'll keep going, keep eating healthily and exercising because I love it, it truly is what I prefer as opposed to sitting on the couch watching telly and eating crap (old life) and hope that the scale catches up. I just needed somewhere to vent, and perhaps see if anyone else experienced similar? Apologies for the rant

Replies

• npetercmway
    Options
    Yeah, this. I did great last year losing consistently. Since the beginning of the year, I keep fluctuating between the same pounds even though I am eating at a deficit and exercising. Like you I am stronger and healthier with way more endurance than I had last year. I decided yesterday that I am going to just keep eating the same and concentrate on maintaining where I am. I am hoping that once the warm weather hits and I can be more active than the winter months, maybe something will happen.

Anyway, all that to say, you are not alone! and you've done a great job. Focus on what you have accomplished and compare yourself to those old pictures to see how far you've come! Hang in there and you will meet your goals!!
  • LLilith77
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are losing fat (adipose tissue) and building lean muscle at the same time, which is why the scale won't move. In fact, I have seen before/afters where the person weighed MORE in the after but looked super sexy and slim and toned and everything you could wish for! ;)

You shouldn't obsess over what the scale says; I'm taking a guess you want to lose weight to look good and perhaps be healthier. Well, your brother sees your arms getting prettier, meaning you're achieving that goal. You don't have your weight stamped on your forehead, other people DON'T CARE what your weight is. They might care about your looks and those are improving!

And I do think the scale will move in time, don't worry! If it doesn't, change up your calories (sometimes that means eating more) or exercise routine and just stick in this for the long haul. Oh and just so you know, my scale is not my friend today either :( but we will stay strong!