Weight lifting good, running bad?

Options
NYCNika
NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
This seems to be an overwhelming theme on this forum. That running is inefficient and full of problems, and bad for your metabolism and that lifting is the only answer if you want to be fit.

After hanging out here for a bit I start to feel like running is worse for me than stuffing my face with buttercream.
In real world I don't hear negativity about running, it is considered a great thing to do. And I have definitely become more fit.

I am confused :(

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do both. Sometimes right after the other. Does my metabolism look horrible? Am I unfit?

Broscience would have you believe that running makes your muscles disappear.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Running improves and conditions your body (heart, lungs, etc).. lifting heavy is important but you need to do a bit of everything
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I like to do 5 minutes of cardio to get my heart going. Do a set of lifting. Then do 15-20 minutes of Cardio afterwards. I prefer doing low impact like stationary bike, Elliptical, or 4mph walk on the treadmill. Its great for your heart doing Cardio.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Both are excellent - they simply target different aspects of fitness. Having used lifting as my primary fitness routine earlier in life, I have come to appreciate cardio more as a form of exercise as I've aged. As others have suggested, do both for overall fitness.
  • blackermagic
    Options
    Yea...Running is bad if you DON'T want to lose weight.

90% of my exercising is running...I run longer distances than the average person (6 to 7 miles x 5 week and at pretty decent tempo 7.5 to 8.25 mph). Plus I run one marathon a year and several half-marathons and longer runs too.

I lost 20 lbs in 2 months...and that was AFTER running my marathon this year. haha!

Running can be damaging on knees, hips, feet, etc...but it gets easier as you weigh less.
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    Options
    I hate running...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running is not evil. Ignore those who say it is.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Fitness is not 1-dimensional.
    My routine is full body resistance training 3x a week, and running 3x a week, with the 7th day a rest day.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This forum is rather dogmatic with the rawr lift heavy idea. I've decided it's because people assume everyone is stuck in the cardio mindset.

Running itself can be bad for specific goals though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Running is not evil, lifting is not evil. I do both, plus several other things, including rebounder. I try not to get bored. It kind of depends on what your goals are, but all exercises have their benefits.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Both are excellent - they simply target different aspects of fitness. Having used lifting as my primary fitness routine earlier in life, I have come to appreciate cardio more as a form of exercise as I've aged. As others have suggested, do both for overall fitness.

^^ this exactly. Don't worry about the "heavy lifting snobs"...half of them probably never touch a barbell.

Running is great ....if you enjoy it, keep it up!! Just don't expect the same RESULTS from running that you get from lifting. Nothing can re-shape your body the way lifting weights can...so YES, you'll get different reaults, but all exercise is good!! Just do your thing girl--you can't worry what people think about you or you'll never get anything done.