Whole Food eating on a budget

Options
Does anyone else find it hard to eat healthy due to the high cost?
Anyone have any go to meals that are inexpensive to make?
Whole food, no dairy, no meat, no proccessed food.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk can make things cheaper!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't this be better entitled "Vegan eating on a budget."

I came here with whole food ideas . . .
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are often more nutritious than fresh (because they are preserved from freezing) and often go on sale. Just keep your eyes out for good coupons on items that may suit you. I have a ton of grocery coupons for things like nuts, oranges, bagged salad and such. It just takes some digging to find the best deals. Check out your local grocery stores sales online each week and shop the store with the best deal.
  • Iwanttobe180lb
    Options
    puy lentil "cottage" pie with parsnip mash ... it's my only meat and dairy free one but it's cheap as chips!
  • jessmaus
    jessmaus Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We have a food co-op that sells whole foods at trade price, you could see if you could get involved with something like that. Or similarly if you get involved with an allotment (even just helping out, not having your own patch) people trade and give away what they produce.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's, if you live where there is one. I have never spent less on groceries in my life, and I am eating better than ever before.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Whole foods?

Fresh unprocessed beef, chicken, pork, and seafood bought in bulk and frozen into portions to use as needed. Large quantities of couscous and quinoa sealed in airtight containers will last forever. All you have to do is pick up milk, eggs, fruits and veggies fresh each week and you're good to go.

edit: BACON. And natural peanut butter. and steel cut oats.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No, lentils, beans, most vegetables, all very cheap. Nuts and seeds can be a little more pricey, but they're still not really that much more than eating meat or chocolate or something would be. Buy in season, go to local markets and don't fall for over priced superfoods.

ETA: I'm not saying that meat isn't a whole food btw, just OP said no meat!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's true frozen is better than most supermarket fresh produce. After they have been picked they are slowly decomposing on your store shelves.

Anyways. Cabbage
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a related question...

As summer approaches, we'll have lots of farmer's markets in the area. I haven't shopped them since I moved here and I'm wondering if there is a difference between a commercial chain of farmer's markets (Coleman's in my area) and the farmer's markets sponsored by cities/townships.

Any ideas on price comparisons? Do the local farmer's have to pay a larger cut at the commercial markets?

Thanks!
  • Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    Options
    i tend to eat lots of rice ( buy a bulk bag ) with olives , sun dried tomatoes, and tuna. everything is getting so overpriced here in the UK. quinoa is really quite pricey here as are many foods which are reasonably price in the USA.

It is actually at the point where its cheaper to buy junk food than real food here.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    OP should make a new post in a Vegan group asking how to eat vegan on a budget.

Half of "whole foods" are animal based in one way or another: milk, eggs, all meats, even honey, because boohoo the poor bees in the bee farm are captive...lol
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I suggest fresh market stands, Trader Joe's, and now even some of the local supermarkets have sections. My suggestion is watch for sales/coupons. I've found it's really not as expensive as most would think. Then again it also depends on whether you're shopping for you or for a family. Good luck
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind non organic foods, Sams club is the way to go for produce.

I have found that it is MUCH cheaper and it seems like they are better quality. When I go to the grocery store, like grapes for instance, they are small, discolored and overpriced by around $1-2 a pound. In Sams club, they are super fresh with no brown spots, super green stems and during the spring I can get 3lbs for around $5.00. Watermelons are usually around $5-6 for humongous ones that are twice the size you'd get at the grocery store for the same price, a 10lb bag of potatoes are usually $3-$5.00, again very fresh. Celery, carrots, asparagus, etc are all cheap. Oh and my favorite- you can get 6 hearts of HUGE romaine lettuce for $4.00 that are twice as big as the ones at a typical grocery store ( the ones you get at the grocery store are 3 small hearts for $3.00).

Stay away from all most of the frozen food though. You do not need a huge cheesecake or hot pockets crowding your freezer. I know its tempting but it could derail your diet if you have all those things available at your home.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh and the best deal of all- $5.00 for a 3lb rotisserie chicken.
  • Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    Options
    wow - a fresh rotie chicken here is like £6.50 !
  • byrollins
    Options
    You may find this website helpful: www.rawfoodsonabudget.com! Enjoy!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    whoops no meat.