Calories of a whole Young coconuts meat and water ?

Options
So today I bought a fresh young coconut for lunch, drank all its juice and ate all of its meat. I forgot to weight its meat though, except for its cap part - about 34 gram (5 Oz) .

Does any body know how much weight it is and how many calories of the whole young coconuts meat? I already google it and the information are all conflict from each other. Some sites says 77 kcal per 100 gram some says its is 1400!!?? for the whole meat?

Replies

• Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Coconuts are quite high in calories, so 1400 doesn't sound too far off from a medium-large coconut,
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question, I ate a coconut today too, I somehow doubt it's 1400 though (I HOPE it's not that high). I counted mine as 300...
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For 100 grams it's definitely more than 77, but definitely less than 1400 (even if it were 100% fat it could only be 900 calories--9kcals/1g fat). The USDA value of 354 seems logical, as its less than the value for dried coconut (660kcals/100g), but still sufficiently high to account for the fact that coconut meat is, like avocado, predominantly fat.

However, if you ate a whole coconut, it's going to have had more than 100g of flesh. Your guess is as good as mine for how much the coconut meat within the coconut weighed, but 300g isn't unreasonable. Which comes up to 1062 calories. Plus the coconut water, which is about 60-70/cup.
    So yeah... definitely going to count as more than 300 calories.
  • fluffy_fuwa
    fluffy_fuwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What would Google do?

Nutritional Profile

One whole young coconut contains roughly 140 calories, 28 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 3 grams fat, and 2 grams of protein.

Contains 50% of your Daily Recommended Allowance (DRA) of manganese, 15% of your DRA of potassium, and 6% DRA of magnesium.
    One whole mature coconut contains roughly 1405 calories (no, that is NOT a typo!), 60 grams of carbohydrates, 36 grams of fiber, 133 grams of fat, and 13 grams of protein. Keep in mind, it would be difficult to eat an entire raw coconut in one day!

Contains 67% of your RDA of manganese (which helps metabolize both fat and protein). High in potassium with minimal levels of folate, copper,and calcium. Contains negligible amounts of Vitamins C, E, K, B-6 and more.

Read more at: http://healthnutnation.com/2013/02/26/young-vs-mature-coconuts/