Insanity w/o, women what did you think of it?pics plz!

Options
jennbriere
jennbriere Posts: 63 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of starting INSANITY w/o on Monday, what did you guys think of it? I'm 5'10, 172lbs and want to be around 145-150 TONED. I have a pretty strong frame, so don't want to bulk up, I just want to tone...... any recommendations? I likely won't be able to do it 6 days a week, but am hoping to do it 4... (I also go to the gym 3-5 times a week)

Also, I'd love to see before/after pics if you have some for motivation!

Thanks!

Jenn

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Insanity is great, pretty intense. . You will not bulk up. Lifting weights won't make you bulk up. Most women won't ever bulk up so don't worry about that. I don't think you should do it on top of 3-5 days of the gym, but instead of some of your gyme days. It's a hardcore workout, don't overdo it or your body will hate you lol.
  • Karri_Lynn
    Options
    Insanity is a fantastic program. I have completed it once by itself, and once with a hybrid. It is an intense cardio workout, but if you follow the program you will see results. I personally loved the challenge of it. Shaun T is a great motivator as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a woman you don't have enough testosterone to bulk up, and on top of that that would require strength training with heavy weights in the 8-15 rep range, and you would require a caloric deficit.
    Insanity is a circuit training/Cardio workout, no "bulking" will come from it.
  • jennbriere
    Options
    ok that's good to know that I won't bulk up :)

ya I'd probably do gym once-twice a week and do Insanity 3-4 times a week or something like that..not both in one night LOL.
    I know I can usually shed pounds pretty fast (i've lost 20lbs in a month before without doing any drastic), but this time, it's more to tone..I don't mind being 160-165 but TONED!!! lol
  • jennbriere
    Options
    also wanted to know... should I be eating way more calories/day when doing Insanity? I definitely don't want to feel sick!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    also wanted to know... should I be eating way more calories/day when doing Insanity? I definitely don't want to feel sick!!

The program suggests a minimum caloric intake of 1700/day, not sure what you are eating now, but I would not eat less than that, at least on the days you do the workouts.
  • kikicooks
    Options

I don't know what you are already eating and if the exercises you do now are near Insanity's intensity but you will need to eat plenty. Your body will probably tell you that. I was always more hungry when doing Insanity than any other cardio I've done.
  • jennbriere
    Options
    I eat around 1500cal/day net. I'm 5'10 172lbs and should be eating between 1700-2200. I started up the gym not long ago and I haven't lost pounds, pretty much the same, but I lost 2 1/2 inches in 13 days (and going to measure myself again tonight to see the progress since the last measuring). So I know I've toned a bit and don't mind not losing the lbs as muscle weights more, but I definitely don't want to send my body in starvation mode when training hard. So should I stay at around 1500cal/day or maybe up it to 2000 when I'm training with Insanity?
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Insanity right now, I'm on my recovery week.
    I would honestly up your intake, I was at 1500 when I first started and I was starving all the time and hadn't lost any weight. It's been about 2 weeks since I've started eating more, I have more energy to do the workouts, and can actually see a difference in my body.
  • jennbriere
    Options
    awesome, thanks for the info!!! :)
  • jennbriere
    Options
    I have another question (lol) ... for the workout, if I do it in my living room, I'm on hardwood floor (I don't have carpet in my house) and I would have about 10 ft x 8ft of space to do my workout --- is this enough? Also, do I need a yoga mat, weights or any of those kinds of things ??

Thanks!!
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You will have plenty of space, I do it in my dining room with very little space. You don't need weights, but you might want to get a yoga mat since you'll be on hardwood floor it'll make it a little more comfortable because some of the exercises you'll be sitting on the floor etc.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Before Insanity in May 2012:
    iphonepics011.jpg
    iphonepics010.jpg

After Month one:
    iphonepics009.jpg
    iphonepics008.jpg

After Month Two:
    iphonepics022.jpg
    iphonepics023.jpg

I'm getting ready to start it again with HHA (Hip Hop Abs) added to it!
  • jennbriere
    Options
    wow that's amazing, you look great!!! good job :)
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi,

Make sure you have at least two towels. A big one will help you a lot becasue you'll be sweating a lot. Literally dripping drops all over the place. Make sure you have something to wipe the floor as well, I did not do it and almost fall because of it.

Cheers and dig deeper
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks and there wasn't a significant change in the scale maybe 2-3lb the whole 63 days.....never did get my shirt.... :/.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Awesome Nikkilynn!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started insanity on Monday...and got on the scale this morning...i have lost 5lbs in the first week:) Im eating around 1600 calories a day since 3 days a week i go running in the morning and then do insanity in the evening...keep an eye on the protein and make sure you are getting enough...i just started drikinking protein shakes after my workouts...and i must say i look forward to that sweet treat when im done...muscle milk cookies n creme mixed with unsweetened almond milk....YUM!!!
  • kikicooks
    Options
    I have another question (lol) ... for the workout, if I do it in my living room, I'm on hardwood floor (I don't have carpet in my house) and I would have about 10 ft x 8ft of space to do my workout --- is this enough? Also, do I need a yoga mat, weights or any of those kinds of things ??

Thanks!!

That is enough space but you might want to get a mat for your floor, at least a yoga mat for dropping down for pushups. There are a lot of pushups and I had to do a lot on my knees, but that might not be an issue for you. You are jumping a lot too so you might want something to soften the blow, your knees will thank you. I got this when I got TurboFire because I workout in a basement on a concrete floor, and it has been great to have for Insanity too.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cap-Barbell-0.75-Anti-Microbial-6-Pieces-Puzzle-Mat/15561929

Also, I would up your calories. If you are used to 1500 maybe start out with 1700-1800 and just listen to your body, if you feel you need more then go up a couple hundred more.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    This is after 30 days. I LOVE it!!! There is only a 5-6 lb difference between these pics.

April2011004.jpg

Day 30

05-11-2011009.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!