sleep

Options
I have awful insomnia. Anyone have any tips or solutions. I am getting sick of being tired

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I hear more activity helps.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    ^Exercise is a big help. You could also try reading before bed.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Grew up with this and I still can't really pass 6 hours of sleep no matter what day it is but that 6 hours is a huge improvement from my teens :) I would say the best thing is excercise to help with any anxiety that may be an underlying cause and then the bed to do list. This is just a list of things that are on your mind that you write down before bed. Usually helps. Good luck!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If it's consistently bad I'd check with a doctor. Otherwise keeping a regular schedule as far as sleeping does wonders. If all else fails, try melatonin.
  • ShoequeenB
    Options
    Peppermint tea helps me sleep, its good to drink after dinner. Helps my digestion and helps me sleep a lot better!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    MIght want to consider being checked for sleep apnea. Your doctor would know the right questions to ask to see if you need to go further with it. Also consider herbal tea's maybe? Chamomile helps me calm down at night. Might also check your caffeine levels, just a few thoughts. Good luck cuz I know it stinks to always feel tired. I dealt with it for years before my diagnosis of sleep apnea....
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Other activities help too.
  • justkate88
    Options
    My insomnia has started up again this week. Today for me is day four of being awake, I've had probably 4 or 5 hours sleep over the last four days and as a result have just been signed off from work with stress. I'm usually quite active, my job keeps me on my feet and I go to the gym a few times a week. I'm just too tired to do anything right now but sit and vegetate. I guess I should force myself to do something.

Sometimes it seems impossible to live with insomnia. My GP suggested that I read a self-help leaflet which contains good tips. If you go here http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp and scroll down until you see 'Sleeping Problems', you can read it too.

I hope you get some rest soon.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    5mg of melatonin before bed and keeping yourself busy during the day.
  • IndyMario
    IndyMario Posts: 236
    Options

A nice protein shake
    A nice tossed salad
    Chorizo and eggs

Food can help as well. Maybe you need more protein in ya!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: First, check with a doctor. Trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep are different things. I have to take Ambien for my insomnia. It doesn't knock you out and make you feel groggy the next day. It just makes it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Also, I find that a cup of sleepytime tea (my favorite is the sleepytime vanilla) right before bed helps me relax even more. You can get sleepytime at any grocery store, it's made by Celestial Seasonings, which also makes a delicious honey vanilla chamomile. :drinker:

Also, just a note here: a friend of mine at work had the same problem. She never slept well. Then this year, she decided to give up caffeine for lent. She was always drinking diet coke. Now, she is drinking water all day and hasn't had a soda all this time. She is sleeping better than she ever has before and feels so much better. Just something to consider.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hear more activity helps.

^^ This ^^

And Melatonin- Only one though..too much will keep you up!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i had the WORST SLEEP FOR YEARS. when i cleaned up my diet and ditched all the processed foods and sweets/junk, my sleep did a 180 and i went from having a ****ty, fragmented FOUR HOUR night to a solid 6 or 7. used to take me over 1hr to fall asleep at the beginning of the night and each waking but now, it takes me maybe 5 minutes at the most. if i wake up, it takes me 5mins again to go back to sleep. sometimes i don't even realize that i had woken up and gone to the washroom and crawled back to bed!

exercise further increased and solidified my sleep.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I had massive insomnia, and had to train myself to go to sleep. Now, I'm out within 2 minutes of hitting the pillow. Here's what helped me:

1. When you go to bed, if you're not asleep within about 20 mins to a half hour, get out of bed. Mentally your bed needs to be the place where you sleep, not the place where you fail to sleep. Get up, do something, and try again in a half hour or so. This sucks at first, but it helps. Laying in bed staring at the ceiling is creates negative associations with being in bed. The vicious cycle needs to be broken.

2. Look into meditation and relaxation techniques. Prepare yourself to go to sleep before you go. Read up on how you breathe while you sleep, and force yourself to breathe that way when you get into bed.

3. This one's a little odd, but awesome. When you close your eyes, roll them back up into your head about 25 degrees and let them slightly cross (like you;re looking at a spot just in front of the space between your eyebrows. This is where your eyes go to when you sleep. Try it right now sitting at your desk. It actually creates a feeling like starting to fall asleep.

There's probably a million other little things, Find what works for you. But, like anything else, this will actually take practice. it won't work on night 1. It took me about 3 months to finally just be able to fully know that when I hit the pillow, I could espect to be out within a couple minutes.

And last .. I still have the occasional night where my mind's racing, and I just don't fall asleep. In these cases, I try to fall asleep for about 20 minutes, get out of bed, have a double shot of bourbon, and watch a half hour of tv, then go back to bed. (Hey, it's a hell of a lot safer than ambien or some **** like that)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Try *kitten*
  • DjDiggity
    DjDiggity Posts: 20
    Options
    what kinds of activities??? ;)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Try *kitten*

HAHA right. Ask any teenage boy; It's how you fall asleep and how you wake up :D
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Self hypnosis works. I'm sure you could google it and find free ones on Youtube. I like David Meine- his voice is incredibly soothing and after a month, I am out in 3 seconds when he starts to talk.